Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica SL or Fuji GFX 50  (Read 3606 times)

rollsman44

Leica SL or Fuji GFX 50
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:06:25 pm »

I know that the lenses for the SL have had some motor failures ( I believe so). I owned the GFX for a few monrths and liked it a lot. Easy to use and the lenses were excellent and so was the IQ. The Fuji Lenses are definitely cheaper than the Leica lenses for the SL
I mainly shoot portraits and social events BUT not that often anymore. So, the camera will be mainly for my personal use.
I am thinking the SL will drop in price again in the next few months. How much maybe not enough to justify it.
My question is which is worth buying ? I would need only 2 lenses : 1 wide angle and 1 for portraits.
I might even consider Manual Focus lenses to save money. Mainly the Portrait lens only for MF. Depends on which lenses are Just as good as the Leica SL lenses but less money. I appreciate any suggestions

Joe Towner

Re: Leica SL or Fuji GFX 50
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 09:40:44 pm »

What about the GFX did you not like?
t: @PNWMF

rollsman44

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:28:56 pm »

Nothing at all. I sold it to try and downsize equipment as I don't shoot much any more. Just speculating on the Leica SL system( Expensive lenses) and not sure if there is much difference or any difference with the GFX. I hope you can understand the Stigma about Leica. Its been a long time since I wanted to buy into this system but I could not justify it.  Maybe now that there is more competition and systems that just might be as good as the SL and prices have come down. Thanks  Dennis

SrMi

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:37:48 pm »

I know that the lenses for the SL have had some motor failures ( I believe so).
<skip>

As it was pointed out on getDPI, there are no motor failures on SL lenses.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 11:16:49 pm »

Nothing at all. I sold it to try and downsize equipment as I don't shoot much any more. Just speculating on the Leica SL system( Expensive lenses) and not sure if there is much difference or any difference with the GFX. I hope you can understand the Stigma about Leica. Its been a long time since I wanted to buy into this system but I could not justify it.  Maybe now that there is more competition and systems that just might be as good as the SL and prices have come down. Thanks  Dennis

Pretty ironic I find.

The SL is far behind even a 2,000 US$ a7III on pretty much all fronts but viewfinder quality. The GFX you owned is a much better camera system.

But the size, weight and cost of the lenses is probably the worst offender to my eyes.

Cheers,
Bernard

billthecat

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 01:03:20 am »

I notice some people thinking that the Leica SL is medium format, when it is full frame 24x36 mm small format.

I enjoy the images from the SL, they have a pleasing look to them, similar to the M10. The GFX should make better images though.

If you can afford it then I'd say the SL is a good camera. The Sony cameras are a great buy but you may not like the camera or the colors. Lots of people have switched to Sony and they are happy.

Canon and Nikon will eventually have full frame mirrorless so you could wait for that.

Bill

Bo_Dez

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 06:33:02 am »

These days all cameras are good enough. It just comes down to what you like now and what you think is worth the purchase price for what ever reason that quite honestly you can only know.

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 09:35:46 am »

These days all cameras are good enough. It just comes down to what you like now and what you think is worth the purchase price for what ever reason that quite honestly you can only know.

Couldn't agree more!

SrMi

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:11 am »

I also really enjoy using SL, the available SL zooms are just fantastic.
Based on the mentioned motor issue and posting in medium format subforum, I assume that the OP wanted to compare Leica S with Fuji GFX, not Leica SL.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 10:20:13 am »

I also really enjoy using SL, the available SL zooms are just fantastic.
Based on the mentioned motor issue and posting in medium format subforum, I assume that the OP wanted to compare Leica S with Fuji GFX, not Leica SL.

I did, too. Good thing I kept reading or I would have made an off-topic post.

WRT zooms, the Fuji 32-64 is hands down the best IQ zoom I've ever used. But there's only one G-mount zoom so far.

Jim

billthecat

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 12:04:18 pm »

This seemed familiar so I checked and it is the same kind of thread a few months ago:
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=120359.msg996922#msg996922

rollsman44

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 08:51:46 pm »

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and pros and cons

pschefz

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 11:04:02 pm »

Pretty ironic I find.

The SL is far behind even a 2,000 US$ a7III on pretty much all fronts but viewfinder quality. The GFX you owned is a much better camera system.

But the size, weight and cost of the lenses is probably the worst offender to my eyes.

Cheers,
Bernard

that and the fuji to compare the SL with would be the XH1....expect that that one has IBIS, and is cheaper, and there are more lenses and they are a LOT cheaper....and smaller and lighter....

the GFX is in a completely different league....

best bang for the buck would probably be A7RIII with sony 85 1.8 and the sigma 35....small, light, not too expensive (that entire kit would be about what? one lens for the SL?) and pretty close in IQ to GFX....and miles above SL....
schefz.com
artloch.com

rollsman44

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 05:39:12 pm »

How does the Sony A7R111 compare to the GFX ?   Not that much less buying GFX used and lenses used   Thanks

pschefz

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 11:00:38 pm »

How does the Sony A7R111 compare to the GFX ?   Not that much less buying GFX used and lenses used   Thanks
tough one....i tested head to head with 850, GFX and A7RIII.....i prefer the GFX files and i really love the 32-64 zoom, it covers everything for me in a perfect way....i also prefer 3:4 format.....
A7RIII+grip and 24-70 GM (great lens!) is about 6K, GFX + 32-64 is about 8?K now, (they always have so many deals?!) so its not that far off....
sony is a completely different camera of course, faster, smaller, lighter, and great, great files.....
i would recommend downloading as many raw files as possible (dpreview and such) and play....to some people it is obvious, to others less so....handling and speed is a big difference.....
schefz.com
artloch.com

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 02:42:07 pm »

Have you ever held a Leica SL? especially with the gigantic lenses it is very uncomfortable to grip. and all the zooms are variable aperture, which in my opinion is a bad joke for a professional camera. and they are huge, I mean HUGE!  expensive they might be, but usually Leica stuff keeps their value quite well.

the Sony files are phantastic, but the button layout and the menue system are a royal pain in the arse, even after three years of professional use I still keep hunting around for menue items. and battery life is quite bad too. And I dont know for what kind of hands the 7 line is made, my rather small hand struggle for comfort.

now I use a pair of gfx for my work and I love them. handling is great, the mount is very versatile (like a 50mm summilux M asph with this sensor is just magic). the standard lens is mediocre, but all the others ate superb, especially the zoom. and some features like the removable viewfinder are nice to have. I just wish tethering would work better. and the files are even better than the sony‘s. 
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

fredjeang2

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2018, 09:27:40 am »

Have you ever held a Leica SL? especially with the gigantic lenses it is very uncomfortable to grip. and all the zooms are variable aperture, which in my opinion is a bad joke for a professional camera. and they are huge, I mean HUGE!  expensive they might be, but usually Leica stuff keeps their value quite well.

the Sony files are phantastic, but the button layout and the menue system are a royal pain in the arse, even after three years of professional use I still keep hunting around for menue items. and battery life is quite bad too. And I dont know for what kind of hands the 7 line is made, my rather small hand struggle for comfort.

now I use a pair of gfx for my work and I love them. handling is great, the mount is very versatile (like a 50mm summilux M asph with this sensor is just magic). the standard lens is mediocre, but all the others ate superb, especially the zoom. and some features like the removable viewfinder are nice to have. I just wish tethering would work better. and the files are even better than the sony‘s.
Yep, Sony files are fantastic and I confirm the crazy menu system. I don"t find the button layout that bad but it needs to be fully customized as the factory one is a PITA.
I've been very critical with Sony on their colour science because I was constantly receiving files from others that were often problematic (both still/motion) and ended to get a Sony existential syndrom; but when I got one I realised that there are so much sophistication (disponible parameters settings) that many Sony users trick their values without enough knowledge so in the end it is easy to screw it. They build homemade PP with tons of combinations, not always wisely.
Sometimes less is more. But it's not Sony's fault,  just that IMO it requires some time and experience to set it up properly because you can alter prety much what you want.
Now I changed my mind and I think Sony are simply fantastic cameras.

The only doubt I still have is that I don't trust that much the weather sealing on those Sony bodies.
Maybe it's me but I'd take a Fuji Xt or Xh, or a G9 under the storm, but those Sony...hmmmm

I think the SL is a fantastic design but clearly overprized. There are too many good products out there.
Now...not sure if they build everything in Germany but it is also intersting to contribute, if one can afford it, to the
Well paied good social security european worker. In which societies do we want to live in? And that has a cost. Instead of promoting the working class exploitation/slavery made in...(fill the blank, there are many countries on the list). Now...Fuji build in Japan for much less. Also well paied and treated workforce that I know.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 09:48:37 am by fredjeang2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up