Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WANTED: Mamiya ZD users...!  (Read 21262 times)

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
WANTED: Mamiya ZD users...!
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2006, 08:48:10 am »

I bet Mamiya wish they could have generated this much interest in the ZD earlier on.  Their web sites are a disaster; they need better marketing.

Its probably premature to talk about a ZD Mk II when the current ZD is not yet on sale in the US     All the recent reviews I have read have been very positive.  I'm taking mine to Egypt at the end of October and hope to return with some decent shots.

Quentin
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2006, 01:58:12 pm »

Ivan..

"So what camera would you buy"

That depends so much on need and what you have - for ZD money ??

Probably a 5d and a tethered V system, maybe a 1DS2 alone and loads of lenses - maybe a ZD

PERSONALLY being big on outdoor flash I would go not ZD

"Wouldnt a back upgrade require disposal of the old back as well. The ZD unit is far less expensive than just the competitions backs alone?"

Fair point. the body is 'free'.

But what happens IF Mam bring out a body with a 'must have feature' maybe multipoint AF - your chip goes in the 'bin'. (Until last week) with a Hassy etc. you just got the new body - now all backs seem headed for the bin !!!

"some of you guys keep on agonizing"

I have a hassy and eyelike - the agony is over - my major error was to get a Proback/Mamiya on the cheap (for cash) and then sell it at a loss due to dark screen, focus errors, wide angle restriction and low flash synch - the more expensive solution has provided me with much better value becuase it actually does everything I want and in terms of a cost per month over three years the price difference it is only a small % of my business anyway - and it claimable back as an expense

---------------

Willy

"I don´t think there has been many problems with the ZD"

The point I was making is that your kid/dog/assistant can snap the mirror out of any body or drop it onto its prism

With an integrated system (ZD) you are fully out of action until this is sorted with a MF system you can use a second body

The weak link in the chain is the mechanical bits, having these tied to the electronic expensive bit seems dangerous to me
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2006, 03:24:55 pm »

Ivan..

The weak link in the chain is the mechanical bits, having these tied to the electronic expensive bit seems dangerous to me
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79210\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You mean like every dslr made?  I don't see 1Ds II owners fretting about their camera design being "dangerous"  

Quentin
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 03:25:22 pm by Quentin »

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2006, 04:31:56 pm »

But what happens IF Mam bring out a body with a 'must have feature' maybe multipoint AF - your chip goes in the 'bin'. (Until last week) with a Hassy etc. you just got the new body - now all backs seem headed for the bin !!!

I have a hassy and eyelike - the agony is over - my major error was to get a Proback/Mamiya on the cheap (for cash) and then sell it at a loss due to dark screen, focus errors, wide angle restriction and low flash synch - the more expensive solution has provided me with much better value becuase it actually does everything I want and in terms of a cost per month over three years the price difference it is only a small % of my business anyway - and it claimable back as an expense

With an integrated system (ZD) you are fully out of action until this is sorted with a MF system you can use a second body

Hi.
the ZD already has multipoint focus. You can choose via the rear controller which point to use.
Mamiya has a 35mm, same as others.
So far the Mamiya does everything I want.
Sure I have a problem if the body packs up, but where I come from all the cameras have that. Anything digital in med format has to be sent back to europe. Canons local service in any case, in my experience takes weeks.
My buying decision was made knowing that I will not buy anything else for the next four years.Had a look at the 5d. Was not that impressed and really made up my mind for me to go ZD route. Already had lenses for it and since then I've picked up really good and cheap others. 300mm for about 180usd! I am quite satisfied that the ZD will give me the quality and versatality I'm looking for, and so far I have not been disappointed in my expectations. The only people complaining are my clients, and thats because of the file size!
Thanks Ivan

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2006, 12:26:13 am »

AF - I meant a newer faster version - sorry to be inaccurate

------------------

I would fret about having ONE any thing - and have been since my ONE D100 went down at a wedding (years ago) luckily I had a few rolls of that funny stuff with me and a F100 - but the coolscan post production sucked big style. Ever since then I have considered DSLRs to be 'disposable'. I would go for 2 D200s over 1D2x two 5ds over a 1ds2 etc. I have three D1s - all bust - I am expecting my SLRn to die soon - the batteries are already an embarrasment

Most canon pros have a 5d or older 1 series for back up

As a client I would never employ any shooter with one digital body

Having back ups is part of my professional offer

-----------------

Two years ago on RG I was banging on about phase and leaf backs being tied into one system (as opposed to eyelike which take plates for different systems) It seems that the Hassy owning phase crowd are begining to see it 'my way' as they look to bale from hassy and can't

As with all MFDB gear I hope that these forums encourage exchange of information and viewpoints, the actual choice is always made by the individual in the end but forewarned is forarmed

Any way guys I am not saying the ZD is a bad thing - I think if the right set of circumstances are in place it could be a very good thing

Typically for non flash reliant Mam systems owners looking to go digital,
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 12:27:22 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Tim Ernst

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2006, 10:58:25 am »

Pardon my ignorance, but I simply don't travel ouside the US so don't have a clue. What is involved in getting a ZD to the United States? Is it simply a matter of the camera not being warranted here, or are the import fees 100% of the cost, or are they simply not allowed in this country for some reason? What about a tourist buying one in England and  then brining it back to the US - is there anything other than import fees involved? It would be great if someone could educate this woodsman from the hills. Thanks!

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
www.Cloudland.net

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2006, 01:33:38 pm »

Pardon my ignorance, but I simply don't travel ouside the US so don't have a clue. What is involved in getting a ZD to the United States? Is it simply a matter of the camera not being warranted here, or are the import fees 100% of the cost, or are they simply not allowed in this country for some reason? What about a tourist buying one in England and  then brining it back to the US - is there anything other than import fees involved? It would be great if someone could educate this woodsman from the hills. Thanks!

Tim Ernst in Arkansas
www.Cloudland.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79319\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

tim, the buying part is easy...there are several places mentioned in this thread, there are several ZDs from respectable sellers on ebay...the import is less of a problem then you think...i have stuff shipped from europe all the time, customs never stopped any of my packages...i am sure that is something the dealers will explain to you...my big concern would be warranty...i would not want to rely on having to ship my camera overseas for repair....and as long as mamiya does not release the camera in the US that would be the only way....
i would not be surprised if mamiya does release it in the US before the end of the year, for a price under 10,000...it would be the only way they could sell any...to really make a noise and shake things up they would have to sell it head to head with the canon, so around 8,000...but they better hurry, i am sure the new canon will compete with the resolution of the ZD and will blow it out of the water in regards to speed, asa, noise and general handling....
don't forget the P20 is now officially 8,000 list price...

RobertJ

« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2006, 02:45:00 pm »

I'm not interested in the ZD body, but I just wish the ZD back AND the ZD body were released at the same time.  I would consider the ZD back to put on the RZ, but not the ZD camera.  

Why did they hype the back and the body, and then only release the body? (not in America, of course).  

This is simply the worst marketing I've ever seen.  I can't even comprehend what these people are thinking.  

They would've sold so many units in North America by now, I'm very sure of that.  You know why?  Because photographers like to buy lots of crap, and try them out, then possibly put them away in a closet, camera bag, or sell them on ebay.  

But that ZD back could've been useful, if it was released 2 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 02:47:04 pm by T-1000 »

RobertJ

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2006, 02:50:44 pm »

Oh, another thing:

Quentin, have you tried developing ZD files in Raw Developer?  That program is working magic for Canon, Leaf, and Phase One users.  You might wanna give it a try if you haven't already, or if you're on a Mac at least.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2006, 05:49:42 am »

Oh, another thing:

Quentin, have you tried developing ZD files in Raw Developer?  That program is working magic for Canon, Leaf, and Phase One users.  You might wanna give it a try if you haven't already, or if you're on a Mac at least.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not on a Mac.  I'm now very comfortable with the SilkyPix workflow.

Much as I love my ZD, Mamiya should have given the ZD back priority and should have released it two years ago.  The installed user based of Mamiya cameras would have lapped it up.

Quentin
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 05:50:01 am by Quentin »

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2006, 03:30:47 am »

Oh, another thing:

Quentin, have you tried developing ZD files in Raw Developer?  That program is working magic for Canon, Leaf, and Phase One users.  You might wanna give it a try if you haven't already, or if you're on a Mac at least.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/qu

Hi
I use the ZD as my main camera now especially for editorial & personal and now use Raw Developer. It is a fantastic program and takes 10 sec (ZD) & 7sec for my 5D. Amazing program for a $99.00 USD!!. I just came back from a trip and shot with the ZD with a 55-110 zoom on the plane out the window. It is a great camera for hand held stuff. But with RAW Developer it is even a better camera now. The files are very close to Aptus 22 files at iso 50. We shall see if Phase comes on board so we can run the ZD with PHASE software, that will be a big bonus.
Thanks Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

sjprg

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2006, 09:13:38 pm »

FYI:
I just looked at the Dalsa site. They have just anounced an 1100 MP 4" X 4" CCD sensor developed for the Naval Observetory.
Paul

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2006, 02:10:50 am »

You mean like every dslr made?  I don't see 1Ds II owners fretting about their camera design being "dangerous" 

Quentin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79215\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am on my third 1Ds shutter now.These camera do fail but  Canon after sales is very good. I would say this camera design is like a Mercedes, lasts forever of you do the maintenance. But you have to do the maintenance. Canon has their superb CPS system for pros which can turn a camera around in a day.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up