Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: phone-camera aspect ratio choices: 4:3, 1:1 and any others?  (Read 1702 times)

BJL

phone-camera aspect ratio choices: 4:3, 1:1 and any others?
« on: April 21, 2018, 03:46:05 pm »

The sensors in mobile phone cameras are all 4:3 shape (at least as far as I know) and the only still image shapes offered by my phone are 4:3 and square, along with sweep panoramas.

Is this universal, or dominant, or is my phone unusually limited in its aspect ratio settings? Are there phone-cameras offering wider still shapes like 3:2 and 16:9? Does anyone have an idea of how much those wider shapes are used in the phone-camera universe?

I ask because of the latest fashion of tiny wireless printers for phones that make small prints and stickers on ZINK paper, almost always 3" x 2", which does not match the shape of the phone camera formats I know of.

There are some 4" x 3" ZINK options around, I think all branded "Polaroid", and Fujifilm Instax comes in 62x46mm (4:3) and 62x62mm (square!), which seem a better match to modern "casual photography" shapes.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: phone-camera aspect ratio choices: 4:3, 1:1 and any others?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 08:31:43 pm »

I warmly recommend the Canon Selphy printers.
Cheap to own and a joy use.
I think I am sufficiently known for my negative posts that an entirely positive recommendation carries weight  :D

Edmund

The sensors in mobile phone cameras are all 4:3 shape (at least as far as I know) and the only still image shapes offered by my phone are 4:3 and square, along with sweep panoramas.

Is this universal, or dominant, or is my phone unusually limited in its aspect ratio settings? Are there phone-cameras offering wider still shapes like 3:2 and 16:9? Does anyone have an idea of how much those wider shapes are used in the phone-camera universe?

I ask because of the latest fashion of tiny wireless printers for phones that make small prints and stickers on ZINK paper, almost always 3" x 2", which does not match the shape of the phone camera formats I know of.

There are some 4" x 3" ZINK options around, I think all branded "Polaroid", and Fujifilm Instax comes in 62x46mm (4:3) and 62x62mm (square!), which seem a better match to modern "casual photography" shapes.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up