Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flickr acquisition...  (Read 2037 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Flickr acquisition...
« on: April 20, 2018, 11:03:09 pm »

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Re: Flickr acquisition...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 04:22:49 am »

Not sure what this means.

I see it like the last opportunity for Flickr to recover what it was in the past... but it can also mean the last nail in the coffin.

http://dgpfotografia.com

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 04:32:18 am »

"SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work."

The above clip from that item contains much of what I hate about corporate-speak.

What the hell, is "a long histroy of empowering people"? What mystical power do folks suddenly acquire?

How much "inspiration" does it take to turn a buck?

Guess there's one born every minute after all.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 07:50:16 am »

This could be good for Smugmug or bad for Flickr. Smugmug is more of a commercial site used by wedding photographers and other commercial kinds of photography. Flickr is more free-wheeling, undoubtedly because of the free access, which I think makes it more interesting from a photography point of view. The culture of the two sites is different, with Smugmug being more conservative, and even staid, while Flickr is a community that welcomes experimentation and chance, and is open to differences.

It would be sad if Flickr were to become just another platform for generic, cliché, run of the mill, “safe” photography.

VincentDJohnson

• Lost Americana
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 10:29:11 am »

I'm crossing my fingers that SmugMug doesn't get all profit crazy and destroy Flickr.

The fact that Flickr feels like the world's photo album, where you get Pulitzer Prize winning photographers showing their stuff along side grandma's snapshots of the kids is just something nowhere else on the web.

Call me a dinosaur (although I'm only 44), but I've been on Flickr since 2006 and every time I use a different photo sharing platform I find myself wishing they had Flickr's functionality. Especially for organizing (talking to you Facebook & Google Photos).

Vincent D. Johnson | LostAmericana.com

Two23

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 12:02:51 am »

I too have been using Flickr, and like the myriad groups.  It's where I post photos I want to share a link to, and is my defacto website.  Hope Smugmug doesn't screw it up.  I too am put off by the "corporate" babble.  When I hear PC words like "empowerment" I just cringe.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 03:48:32 am »

I too have been using Flickr, and like the myriad groups.  It's where I post photos I want to share a link to, and is my defacto website.  Hope Smugmug doesn't screw it up.  I too am put off by the "corporate" babble.  When I hear PC words like "empowerment" I just cringe.

Kent in SD

Same happens to me when I hear the term politically correct or the abbreviation PC.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 07:27:41 am »

Good questions and good answers:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/flickr-buy-questions-answered-118481

Cheers,
Bernard

Really?

It struck me as a total lack of information and a wondeful display of passive, stonewalling cricket, without scoring a single run or wicket!

A good reason not to buy magazines.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 08:54:34 am »

Really?

It struck me as a total lack of information and a wondeful display of passive, stonewalling cricket, without scoring a single run or wicket!

A good reason not to buy magazines.

So what questions would you have asked?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 09:38:02 am »

Well, as a long term Flickr it has answered my questions.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 11:16:14 am »

So what questions would you have asked?

I wouldn't have asked any: I don't give a shit about any of those sites and even less about the AP.

But that is beside the point: the point is that if you are going to have an interview, then try to get something new and beyond oodles of yet more corporate non-speak that fills space with zero information.

I would suggest that nothing that was said would form the basis for a binding contract for future behaviour/relations between the users and the new owners; it's all "what you want to hear me say". They can still do whatever takes their fancy and ain't nothing anyone is going to be able to do about it.

As for the nebulous suggestion that they didn't really have any idea what they were going to do with the thing before they bought it, if that's true, it's a terrifying thought for folks to confront if they have money in either company. I think I'd prefer clear-headed management with at least some planning beliefs.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 01:16:57 pm »

I wouldn't have asked any: I don't give a shit about any of those sites and even less about the AP.

But that is beside the point: the point is that if you are going to have an interview, then try to get something new and beyond oodles of yet more corporate non-speak that fills space with zero information.

I would suggest that nothing that was said would form the basis for a binding contract for future behaviour/relations between the users and the new owners; it's all "what you want to hear me say". They can still do whatever takes their fancy and ain't nothing anyone is going to be able to do about it.

As for the nebulous suggestion that they didn't really have any idea what they were going to do with the thing before they bought it, if that's true, it's a terrifying thought for folks to confront if they have money in either company. I think I'd prefer clear-headed management with at least some planning beliefs.

I would guess the Smugmug folks know exactly what they want from Flickr but are being careful to not send off the Flickr faithful, at least not yet. We'll see. I've learned, albeit slowly, to appreciate Flickr for the accommodation of youthful irreverence, which I find refreshing.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 02:45:46 pm »

I would guess the Smugmug folks know exactly what they want from Flickr but are being careful to not send off the Flickr faithful, at least not yet. We'll see. I've learned, albeit slowly, to appreciate Flickr for the accommodation of youthful irreverence, which I find refreshing.

I find it comes of as more convincing when it's displayed by anyone but the youthful; they do it because they feel they have to. I know this, because a long time ago I, too, was youthful.

;-)

mecrox

• My Online Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 06:20:48 pm »

Good questions and good answers:

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/flickr-buy-questions-answered-118481

Cheers,
Bernard

At the end of it there is pic of the SmugMug chief. Put your thumb over the lower half of his face and look at his eyes.
Mark @ Flickr

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 11:20:49 pm »

What's it going to cost?
Pages: [1]   Go Up