Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canute  (Read 940 times)

Rob C

Canute
« on: April 20, 2018, 04:16:39 am »

Sky News this a.m. aired a brief attack on the late Enoch Powell and his infamous/famous/prescient - pick your version - speech.

We hear about "begging the question" now and again; boy, was this little item down on its knees and loaded!

It's funny: one minute the channel goes on and on about Ruskie bots spreading fake news, lies, distortions and propaganda, then it runs an item such as that to which I referred above. All the thought manipulation we need is already here, in the domestic channels. I suppose that the truth is that reality dies along with the on-the-spot generation that lived through it, the history books being nothing more than whatever the politically correct view was at the time of writing.

I have come to believe that most of history is bullshit, nothing but heaps of edited information upon more of the same.

For starters, the Pyramids were never completed and always looked as they do today: the government just ran out of money.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Canute
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 07:57:08 am »

Rob, since I don’t know much about that episode in British history, I find it difficult to see what’s your view on the issue from the above, rather hermetic, for me, post.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 08:04:40 am »

Me too.
I have never heard of either Sky News or Enoch Powell.

I have heard of King Canute, however.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 08:19:05 am »

Georges Santayana:

1. Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
2. History is a pack of lies about events that never happened told by people who weren't there.

Enoch Powell – most controversially remembered for his views on immigration and the "Rivers of Blood" speech. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers_of_Blood_speech

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 08:22:02 am »

Me too.
I have never heard of either Sky News or Enoch Powell.

I have heard of King Canute, however.

Also about the (Los Angeles) Kings defeating the (Vancouver) Canucks.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 08:56:04 am »

The BBC is re-broadcasting Powell’s “Rivers of Blood” speech with commentary interspersed through the broadcast. Some social rights groups are protesting and demanding that the infamous speech, which was an outright racists screed, not be aired.

But Rob, I’m not following your thought. If you are suggesting that the broadcast should be aired, then I agree with you. But am not sure if that is your thinking.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:48:09 am by OmerV »

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 11:53:04 am »

The BBC is re-broadcasting Powell’s “Rivers of Blood” speech with commentary interspersed through the broadcast. Some social rights groups are protesting and demanding that the infamous speech, which was an outright racists screed, not be aired.

But Rob, I’m not following your thought. If you are suggesting that the broadcast should be aired, then I agree with you. But am not sure if that is your thinking.

My thoughts, in the post, were confined to the Sky News way of mentioning/slanting the speech, a programme around which they are going to air three or so times this evening.

If I hadn't heard it before, I would be expecting some terrible pronouncement from the gentleman from Austria with whom we fought WW2. Of course, they are advertising the show, so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at all.

As far as I knew, news programmes were supposed to remain objective.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 12:35:02 pm »

As far as I knew, news programmes were supposed to remain objective.

HA! That might have once been true in the days of Mother Beeb.
Ain't gonna happen no more.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 01:08:50 pm »

HA! That might have once been true in the days of Mother Beeb.
Ain't gonna happen no more.

Ma Beeb also stood as a sort of bastion of Standard English. Today, with the political correctness pressures of "embracing" the regions (the very last things I'd wish to embrace), all sorts of accents are to be heard. I find some very difficult to understand. Which might, of course, be my hearing.

Sky News has a coloured lady, Gillian, who has a beautiful English voice. She appears, often in tandem with a guy called Steve, who I detest; he plays (I hope he plays) the rôle of a teen who never grew up, what with his love for sci-fi, gadgets etc. I always await his saying "shall we?" at which point I yell and switch off, and return my interest to the Kellogs.  I also wonder why it's deemed necessary to bring in two "celebs" to add their tuppence-worth to a news programme... it reduces everything to pap. One, an ex-weather girl, is always so deadly serious and intense in her delivery (for the silly as for the serious events of the day) and she is often accompanied by a coloured ex-athlete or something, whose greatest contribution to the day's news is his loud laughter at his own jokes.

All they need is Gillian. She is capable, very pleasant, and could run the entire show on her own, leaving out all the aggro and rubbish the other people contribute, a polution every bit as bad as the plastic waste the same channel keeps reminding us to stop producing. Throwing out some deejays news readers would make for a good start!
Pages: [1]   Go Up