Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Characterizing the P20000 and creating an optimizing patch set  (Read 4176 times)

narikin

Re: Characterizing the P20000 and creating an optimizing patch set
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 09:52:22 am »

Thanks for all this Doug. I think I understand most of what you say, though I'm not a colour management pro, by any means!

I'll increase the thickness setting as you suggest, but fwiw, I printed the profile target twice, once with the printer's onboard LCD panel media selected as PLU260 (the profile attached previously) then I printed it with the paper selector set to 'Baryta', which is presumable thicker(?) - I'm attaching this here.

Maybe this makes no difference, but you can illuminate that.  Annoyingly Epson allows you to select 'Legacy Platine' on the computer's printer driver, but not on the printer itself - there is no Legacy Platine option on the LCD, so I used PLU260 media profile, which is often the go-to for quality 3rd party papers.  The 2nd iteration using 'Baryta' media profile is maybe a better /thicker alternative?

(Not sure which of the 2 media selector options over-rides the other. Maybe the Workstation driver over-rides the printer, and these profiles are identical? Or vice-versa. Its confusing, and Epson need to sort it out)

Thanks

Doug Gray

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2018, 11:32:31 am »

I'll increase the thickness setting as you suggest, but fwiw, I printed the profile target twice, once with the printer's onboard LCD panel media selected as PLU260 (the profile attached previously) then I printed it with the paper selector set to 'Baryta', which is presumable thicker(?) - I'm attaching this here.
I didn't mean to suggest that you increase the media spacing. I was noting that it significantly improved the variance of the same RGB patches printed at different locations on my 9800. But that's a pretty old printer. I wouldn't change it on your printer w/o substantial testing that indicates significant improvement. The variations I see on the 9800 and on your targets are not visually material but I am interested in creating accurate targets for aligning/testing imager-lens registration planes and spent some time optimizing the various things like vacuum and paper thickness settings.

Maybe this makes no difference, but you can illuminate that.  Annoyingly Epson allows you to select 'Legacy Platine' on the computer's printer driver, but not on the printer itself - there is no Legacy Platine option on the LCD, so I used PLU260 media profile, which is often the go-to for quality 3rd party papers.  The 2nd iteration using 'Baryta' media profile is maybe a better /thicker alternative?

(Not sure which of the 2 media selector options over-rides the other. Maybe the Workstation driver over-rides the printer, and these profiles are identical? Or vice-versa. Its confusing, and Epson need to sort it out)
I only select things like roll or sheet paper at the printer and let the driver settings control everything else. Generally, the driver will override local settings.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 11:36:39 am by Doug Gray »

narikin

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 09:28:23 am »

Ok, Understood.

Here's the same profile (Traits_LegPlat_Baryta_M2_Sat) pushed through the optimisation procedure that Marc Levine developed for x-rite (long deleted, I kept a copy. + Andrew sent you this in another thread):

Doug, if you don't have this .pxf file, might be useful. Made by former X-rite employee Marc Levine and it contains 2500+ neutrals and near neutrals.

I can see no difference in my very basic profile comparison, but ymmv:

Thanks for your help with this Doug. Hope you found it useful in the question of upgrading your 9800 or not.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:31:43 am by narikin »

smilem

• Color Management Services
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 07:31:19 am »

Yes the Marc Levine op chart is nice, has some errors (there should be 2500 patches not 2502) some patches are duplicated, but I also made smaller versions of this chart by removing gaps of patches to reduce patch count. Works as expected.

Gamutvision became free, and I think it would be nice to use for this kind of test.
http://www.gamutvision.com/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 07:34:23 am by smilem »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up