Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Do New Hasselblad XCD Lenses Compare to Older Lenses?  (Read 1327 times)

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
How Do New Hasselblad XCD Lenses Compare to Older Lenses?
« on: April 19, 2018, 01:46:04 am »

After picking up a new 90mm XCD lens for my Hasselblad X1D, I decided to compare it to my first generation HC 120mm lens. I was surprised at how much softer the 120mm was by comparison to the razor sharp 90mm lens. I don't know if it's just that my 120mm is out of whack or that's typical of older lenses. I'd like to upgrade the 120mm to something sharper. Now that various adapters are out, I'm wondering if there's other options that would work better without breaking the bank. (I'd rather not spend $4,500 for the new XCD 120mm.) How would older Hasselblad lenses compare to my new ones? Any other lenses with macro capabilities I might consider?

jduncan

Re: How Do New Hasselblad XCD Lenses Compare to Older Lenses?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:21:39 am »

After picking up a new 90mm XCD lens for my Hasselblad X1D, I decided to compare it to my first generation HC 120mm lens. I was surprised at how much softer the 120mm was by comparison to the razor sharp 90mm lens. I don't know if it's just that my 120mm is out of whack or that's typical of older lenses. I'd like to upgrade the 120mm to something sharper. Now that various adapters are out, I'm wondering if there's other options that would work better without breaking the bank. (I'd rather not spend $4,500 for the new XCD 120mm.) How would older Hasselblad lenses compare to my new ones? Any other lenses with macro capabilities I might consider?

Hi,

The new lenses are better, in particular, the 120mm and the 50mm were replaced by the II versions that are far better. So the newer designs are better, either if you compare with the XCD or with the new HCD. Notice that not all the new lenses on the H side are new formulas, some of them just have new shutter and electronics.  The  35-90mm is not that new but it's fantastic. So it's a general rule.

Best regards,
english is not my first language, an I k

siddhaarta

Re: How Do New Hasselblad XCD Lenses Compare to Older Lenses?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 09:20:00 am »

I'd like to upgrade the 120mm to something sharper. Now that various adapters are out, I'm wondering if there's other options that would work better without breaking the bank. (I'd rather not spend $4,500 for the new XCD 120mm.) How would older Hasselblad lenses compare to my new ones? Any other lenses with macro capabilities I might consider?

I use the Leica R Apo-Macro-Elmarit 100mm with the Novoflex Adapter (with Elpro for 1:1 when needed) and can recommend it: 1) vastly superior for focus-stacking compared to the focus-by-wire solution XCD offers. 2) covers the sensor, 3) is one of the best macro lenses out there, and 4) fits better to the compact form factor of the X1D. Only disadvantage is that you depend on e-shutter, which for tripod-based macro work is not really an issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up