Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Danger in a Joke  (Read 1807 times)

Rob C

Danger in a Joke
« on: April 18, 2018, 04:14:02 am »

Accoding to a snippet in Sky News this morning, a comedian has been jailed for teaching his girlfriend's dog to make a nazi salute! As breed was not specified, I imagine it to have been a poodle.

Apparently, the judgement was made because context of the act (on YouTube) doesn't matter. What a legal madhouse in which we walk.

Next time you reach up to pick some fruit from the farmer's tree, make sure nobody sees you. You won't be going down for theft.

Oy fucking vey.

Rob
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:13:35 pm by Rob C »

Roy Sletcher

Re: Danger in a Joke
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 01:03:13 pm »

Link below gives a Canadian Columnists viewpoint on the matter before the sentencing, which I was not aware of.  (Hope the link works)  Even by our obsessively politically correct Canadian standards this is seen as some form of madness. Always thought Scotland was one of the last bastions of common sense and logic.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-the-state-of-free-speech-dogs-nazi-salute-deemed-a-hate-crime

Sometimes a joke is just a joke!

-rs-

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 02:21:34 pm »

Link below gives a Canadian Columnists viewpoint on the matter before the sentencing, which I was not aware of.  (Hope the link works)  Even by our obsessively politically correct Canadian standards this is seen as some form of madness. Always thought Scotland was one of the last bastions of common sense and logic.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-the-state-of-free-speech-dogs-nazi-salute-deemed-a-hate-crime

Sometimes a joke is just a joke!

-rs-

And for quite a long time it was a place for free speech.

Then, come the 70s and the influence of the PC nutters in USA campuses (campi?) spreading like the roots of a virulent weed across the western world, free speech was reduced to a memory with every special interest group getting a handle firmly grafted onto it, to pull in whichever direction it's political wind of the moment might dictate.

You're soon going to need a law degree before daring to open your mouth. Imagine the excitement in communications that that will inspire! I can hardly wait.

In a sane world, that court decision could not have been made up.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 02:24:40 pm by Rob C »

Two23

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 09:38:20 pm »

Accoding to a snippet in Sky News this morning, a comedian has been jailed for teaching his girlfriend's dog to make a nazi salute! As breed was not specified, I imagine it to have been a poodle.

Had to have been a German shepherd.  Or maybe a daschund?

Kent in SD

Below photo:
CAT & dog
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:57:54 pm by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 06:26:06 am »

He should have just called it a  Bellamy salute and he would have been OK.

That's what we did in the USA.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 06:56:05 am »

He should have just called it a  Bellamy salute and he would have been OK.

That's what we did in the USA.

News to me, as I'm sure it must have been to the dog man. Maybe now he can act retrospectivel.

Thinking about it, I believe there exists a video of Mr M. Ali doing the same thing, but it might have been in the ring...

History, as I have noted, is a bit of a zebra at best.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 02:56:00 pm »

Accoding to a snippet in Sky News this morning, a comedian has been jailed for teaching his girlfriend's dog to make a nazi salute!

The dog's gesture was merely a part of the offensive behaviour for which he was sentenced. It attracted the most publicity, of course.

Whether imprisonment for causing offence is a good idea is, of course, another matter entirely.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 03:13:26 pm »

Whether imprisonment for causing offence is a good idea is, of course, another matter entirely.
Jeremy

Exactly, Jeremy. Unfortunately these people can't distinguish between offense (American spelling) and injury.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 02:47:06 am »

Exactly, Jeremy. Unfortunately these people can't distinguish between offense (American spelling) and injury.

Quite. Absurdities abound. Rod Liddle is an entertaining, "outspoken", as they say, writer. By coincidence, his article in this week's Spectator magazine is relevant.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 04:21:16 am »

Quite. Absurdities abound. Rod Liddle is an entertaining, "outspoken", as they say, writer. By coincidence, his article in this week's Spectator magazine is relevant.

Jeremy

Well, hardly surprising, when you consider that Jeremy Clarkson (in his Sunday Times manifestation, not as tv motoring clown) was also vilified for cracks about the Regions...

I believe that all of those dear people who protest so much about their nationality do so, not from love of their "heritage", but from an acute sense of inferiority that's pricked at each and every real or imagined slur that comes their way.

It's really a lingering part of the caste/class system which, deny it as one might, is ultimately based on facts that we all can sense, however uncomfortable with ourselves those facts may make us feel. And that's key: had we no such self-doubts we wouldn't feel affected.

Having never made a survey of it, I nevertheless think that those who protest so much are perhaps derived more from the educated ranks than from those who are not, and who just want to get on with their lives as best they can. We have plenty of rich slobs in the country. It's why money maketh not the gentleman, and that too much self-knowledge has to find redemption. How better than through attack?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:23:49 am by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up