Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1Profiler printer profiling - Lighting settings  (Read 1218 times)

alecdann

i1Profiler printer profiling - Lighting settings
« on: April 17, 2018, 03:36:25 pm »

The Lighting setting in the Printer profiling workflow in i1Profiler offers the option to use Standard Illuminants or to measure ambient light.

X-rite support recommends using the D50 standard illuminant but my prints will typically be shown in homes with a mix of lighting sources or in galleries.  They will rarely/never be seen in lighting in the color temperature range of D50 or D65. 

My print evaluation lighting is Solux 3500 (track lights) and I profile my EIZO monitor using a brigthness and white point that matches a white sheet of the paper I'm profiling, viewed under those Solux lights. 

Should I build my print profiles for based on the ambient lighting of my proofing lights or (which I know the lighting aren't exactly 3500k) or should I use D50 for the print profile?

Here is some detail on my setup:
Spectrometer: i1 Pro 2 Photo
Software: iProfiler v1.7.2.5673 | XRD version 3.0.11
Operating system: OSX 10.13.4
Monitor: Eizo CS4240
Monitor profiling: Colornavigator 6
Proofing lights: Solux 3500, black back

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alec Dann

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: i1Profiler printer profiling - Lighting settings
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 03:40:03 pm »

The Lighting setting in the Printer profiling workflow in i1Profiler offers the option to use Standard Illuminants or to measure ambient light.
X-rite support recommends using the D50 standard illuminant but my prints will typically be shown in homes with a mix of lighting sources or in galleries.  They will rarely/never be seen in lighting in the color temperature range of D50 or D65. 
OTW, outside in actual daylight. That's where we find those illuminants and keep in mind, that is an average of hundreds of measurements made many years ago with differing Spectrophotometers in differing locations.
What you can do is actually measure the light source where the prints will be and build that into the profile. But if you will have them in vastly differing light sources, you can't. Yes, good idea to build them based on your proofing station if your goal is the closest print to display match when editing.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

alecdann

Re: i1Profiler printer profiling - Lighting settings
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 12:17:24 am »

Thank you, Andrew.  That's really helpful.  My approach is that I'd rather start with a print I know is solid. 

BTW, I've gotten a lot from your book (acquired through eBay). Wish you could talk Elsevier into issuing it on Kindle or some other ebook format.  I know it has some age on it relative to devices and software, but the core of it is still invaluable.

Alec
Pages: [1]   Go Up