Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flashe compatability  (Read 2017 times)

macgyver

Flashe compatability
« on: October 02, 2006, 01:05:02 pm »

I'm looking to pick up a flash for use with my 30d.  I like the 580ex's because of their usuability and the ability to act as a master unit.  However, would a nikon flash unit of comparible specs work for me?  I ask since ive heard from some that it wouldnt, from others that it would, and the general consensous is that nikon has better flash systems.  oh, and the highest end nikon is about 50 USD cheaped than the 580ex on B&H.

I just need a high quality flash, the lower cost the better, but I am prepared to pay what it takes.  Having a master unit would be a plus.  Also, I will use it off-camera a huge amount of the time.

Thanks chaps.

poljazz

Flashe compatability
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 04:47:36 pm »

Check out the strobist web page(http://strobist.blogspot.com/), tons of info about on and on camera flash.
The Canon flashes have no pc synch outlet for off camera use. You have to buy the canon cable wich is quite short. Or the longer one. Both expensive. Or use an adaptor from Paramount cables .
The Nikon flashes will only work on manual and old type auto on your canon.
Best of luck

stever

Flashe compatability
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 02:15:12 am »

the Canon flash systems work with Canon and the Nikon with Nikon (except that Nikon has rather more incompatabilities and quirks for different cameras)

the 580 is a good safe choice with more capabilities than you'll ever need (and is some cases more than you want0

the Strobist approach is more like "you've got a digital camera, make a reasonable guess at the setting, look at the histogram and adjust it" -- this is the method that must be used underwater and i've found that the lack of ETTL is not a big deal - and even though i use the Canon system on dry land and am  happy with the ETTL for a single flash (particularly dialing in a flash fill setting) -- adding a second flash and remembering that flash ratio overrides the +/- setting on the slave (which i believe is nowhere in the Canon miserable manual) or that you can't make some of the setting adjustments if the wide-angle diffuser is down gets a bit frustrating

the Canon infra-red triggering is quite reliable at the distances that you're likely to use flash (so long as there aren't other Canon photograpers on your channel setting off your flash)

the choice of flash depends (like most everything else) on what you plan  to do with it
Pages: [1]   Go Up