Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stroll through NYC  (Read 1382 times)

mbaginy

Stroll through NYC
« on: April 17, 2018, 02:14:52 pm »

A stroll through New York City in pre cell phone days: NYC 1911

Rob C

Re: Stroll through NYC
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 02:33:24 pm »

A stroll through New York City in pre cell phone days: NYC 1911

Thank you for the link; I found myself looking for "decisive moments" all through it!

:-)

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:27:53 pm »

Amusing to see an ad for Washington Crisps (an early brand in the corn flake/chip market) below a stencil for Cross English Gloves/Leather Goods. Presumably New Yorkers of the time knew what crisps were. How veddy British of them!  :)

-Dave-

Ray

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 06:16:33 pm »

Amazing! And everyone is so well-dressed, apart from the occasional worker on a horse-drawn carriage.  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 04:28:00 am »

Amazing! And everyone is so well-dressed, apart from the occasional worker on a horse-drawn carriage.  ;D

It's from traditional personal pride in keeping up a fine appearance, something later discouraged by a certain political wing as being class discriminatory and snobbish.

Rejoice in trainers and baseball caps, the egalitarian route to anonymity, even more the great levellers than a pocket pistol.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 11:14:53 am »

And everyone is so well-dressed, apart from the occasional worker on a horse-drawn carriage.

I don't ever remember seeing my paternal grandfather (b. 1886)—a quintessential New Yorker whose tastes were formed in early 20th Century Manhattan—except in a starched white shirt and tie.  On the hottest of summer Sunday afternoons, when visiting our house in suburban New Jersey, he might remove his jacket and carefully roll up his shirtsleeves ever-so-slightly.  But I don't recall him ever even loosening the tie.

Apropos of the film, itself, I thought the motion was smoothed out very effectively.  And assuming the YouTuber is an amateur and not a professional foley artist, he did a rather good job with the sound track.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 12:23:37 pm »

he did a rather good job with the sound track.

He sure did.  Excellent sound edit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up