Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what else should i get for my MacBook Pro  (Read 7687 times)

Khurram

what else should i get for my MacBook Pro
« on: October 02, 2006, 01:54:35 am »

i got the MacBook Pro last month just before leaving for a trip to the southwest and yellowstone/tetons.

well just got back despite less then ideal conditions and being a bit early for fall colours at the tetons i shot of around 40gigs.

now comes the not so fun part - learning how to use my mac better and processing the files.  When i got the mac, i got some suggestions on links to make my switch from PC to mac easier.  I'll be spending more time on those over the newxt couple of weeks.

well, before getting started, i wanted to get some advice on workflow.   i don't particulary enjoy being in front of the computer for very long - which is the main reason i held of going digital, so i would appreciate some advice on developing a more manageble workflow.  Currenlty, i've  been pretty much been making adjustments to each individual file using canon's DPP then where needed using PS Elements 2 if necessary.  Other then having a real slow, time consuming workflow, i've also struggled with trying to sharpen images - mainly have been using DPP again.

Anyway, with the new Macbook, i currently have 2gb ram, 120gb drive.  I don't have an external monitor, or even an apple mouse. in terms of software, I have PS 7 (windows), elements 2 and Canon's DPP.  

Given my recent expenditures on new hardware and a new backup, i'd like to keep any more expenditures to a minimum for the next few months.  I just picked up the rebel xti to backup my 1Dmk2n - which was a great decision, because i managed to smudge my sensor trying to clean my sensor while at the tetons.

anyway, i wanted to know what else I should be getting.  i would like to avoid getting cs2 until the new version is released, and have been intrigued by ads for Lightzone  http://www.lightcrafts.com/index.php ), not sure if this can serve as a photoshop replacement.

I was considering downloading some trial versions of software, but would like some guidance on what to start with - and something that is easier to learn for someone who really does not have a lot of experience working with a lot of software (other then the usual microsoft office products).

I also wanted to know if it is essential to get an external monitor for my macbook pro, or if i can make do for now with the laptop screen.

I also wanted to know if there is any reason why you need to buy an apple mouse, as they seem to be pricy in comparsion to other ones on the market. Can a PC mouse be used an a mac???  Reason i'm asking is that the mouse pad on the macbook only has one control button, unlike my previous ibm thinkbad, or dell laptops.  Given the price of a mouse, would it be better to get a wacom pen tablet (again, i've seen ads for this, but have no experience using one).

Lastly, for doing work at home, would an external apple keyboard be easier to use???

sorry for the long post, but would really appreciate some help.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

francois

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 04:18:48 am »

i got the MacBook Pro last month just before leaving for a trip to the southwest and yellowstone/tetons.

well just got back despite less then ideal conditions and being a bit early for fall colours at the tetons i shot of around 40gigs.

now comes the not so fun part - learning how to use my mac better and processing the files.  When i got the mac, i got some suggestions on links to make my switch from PC to mac easier.  I'll be spending more time on those over the newxt couple of weeks.

well, before getting started, i wanted to get some advice on workflow.   i don't particulary enjoy being in front of the computer for very long - which is the main reason i held of going digital, so i would appreciate some advice on developing a more manageble workflow.  Currenlty, i've  been pretty much been making adjustments to each individual file using canon's DPP then where needed using PS Elements 2 if necessary.  Other then having a real slow, time consuming workflow, i've also struggled with trying to sharpen images - mainly have been using DPP again.
Anyway, with the new Macbook, i currently have 2gb ram, 120gb drive.  I don't have an external monitor, or even an apple mouse. in terms of software, I have PS 7 (windows), elements 2 and Canon's DPP. 

Given my recent expenditures on new hardware and a new backup, i'd like to keep any more expenditures to a minimum for the next few months.  I just picked up the rebel xti to backup my 1Dmk2n - which was a great decision, because i managed to smudge my sensor trying to clean my sensor while at the tetons.

anyway, i wanted to know what else I should be getting.  i would like to avoid getting cs2 until the new version is released, and have been intrigued by ads for Lightzone  http://www.lightcrafts.com/index.php ), not sure if this can serve as a photoshop replacement.

I was considering downloading some trial versions of software, but would like some guidance on what to start with - and something that is easier to learn for someone who really does not have a lot of experience working with a lot of software (other then the usual microsoft office products).

I also wanted to know if it is essential to get an external monitor for my macbook pro, or if i can make do for now with the laptop screen.

I also wanted to know if there is any reason why you need to buy an apple mouse, as they seem to be pricy in comparsion to other ones on the market. Can a PC mouse be used an a mac???  Reason i'm asking is that the mouse pad on the macbook only has one control button, unlike my previous ibm thinkbad, or dell laptops.  Given the price of a mouse, would it be better to get a wacom pen tablet (again, i've seen ads for this, but have no experience using one).

Lastly, for doing work at home, would an external apple keyboard be easier to use???

sorry for the long post, but would really appreciate some help.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78713\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll try to give some answers... Yes, you can use a standard PC (USB) mouse with your Mac. An Apple keyboard will also make your Mac more pleasant to use, but it's a matter of preference.
I would urge you to download Adobe Lightroom Beta 4, it's a universal binary (works natively on your MacBook Pro, ie it must faster than CS2) and it's free until the final version is released. The latest version is really a step forward compared to B3 and previous. Sharpening, de-noise, lens corrections, EC, fill light, highlite recovery, saturation, white balance, contrast, curve adjustments, black & white points, printing, slideshow, web galleries and much more can be done in Lightroom. You must really download it and give it a try!
I have no experience with LightZone (and I've posted tutorial links in another thread you started).

IIRC, you purchased a 17" MacBook Pro... Try to see if you can live with the buil-in display... An external display would be nice but I guess you can postpone this expenditure until your wife has recovered from the shock (MB Pro + 2GB of RAM + Rebel + ...)  

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 04:21:07 am by francois »
Francois

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 07:55:16 am »

I'll try to give some answers... Yes, you can use a standard PC (USB) mouse with your Mac. An Apple keyboard will also make your Mac more pleasant to use, but it's a matter of preference.
I would urge you to download Adobe Lightroom Beta 4, it's a universal binary (works natively on your MacBook Pro, ie it must faster than CS2) and it's free until the final version is released. The latest version is really a step forward compared to B3 and previous. Sharpening, de-noise, lens corrections, EC, fill light, highlite recovery, saturation, white balance, contrast, curve adjustments, black & white points, printing, slideshow, web galleries and much more can be done in Lightroom. You must really download it and give it a try!
I have no experience with LightZone (and I've posted tutorial links in another thread you started).

IIRC, you purchased a 17" MacBook Pro... Try to see if you can live with the buil-in display... An external display would be nice but I guess you can postpone this expenditure until your wife has recovered from the shock (MB Pro + 2GB of RAM + Rebel + ...)   

Hope this helps
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

RE: Sharpening... dont even waste your time with sharpening in LR or DPP. Sharpening in LR is just NASTY. - Go and download PhotoKit sharpener from Pixel Genius. It IS the be all and end all of sharpening in my experience to date.

I use DPP for my RAW conversions - basic adjustments in DPP, then off to PS CS2 for local contrast enhancement, sharpening and final tweaking.

LR has a great workflow.. but its RAW conversions are just not in the ball park of DPP with Canon RAW files - not without significant tweaking IMO.

Interesting experiement... open a RAW file in DPP - and do NOTHING to it - but convert it to 16 bit Tiff. Now do the same in LR and compare. Bottom line... the Canon algorithim deals with Canon RAW files better than Adobes RAW engine - END OF STORY.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Khurram

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 09:08:09 am »

Hope this helps
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78726\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks again fracois. I had already bookmarked the links you had sent earlier.  I didn't realize that lightroom would be free until the final version is released - i had thought it would be one of those 14 or 30 day trials, so i had put off on downloading it until i came back from holidays.  I'll download that tonignt once i get back from the office
----

Khurram

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 09:11:42 am »

RE: Sharpening... dont even waste your time with sharpening in LR or DPP. Sharpening in LR is just NASTY. - Go and download PhotoKit sharpener from Pixel Genius. It IS the be all and end all of sharpening in my experience to date.

I use DPP for my RAW conversions - basic adjustments in DPP, then off to PS CS2 for local contrast enhancement, sharpening and final tweaking.

LR has a great workflow.. but its RAW conversions are just not in the ball park of DPP with Canon RAW files - not without significant tweaking IMO.

Interesting experiement... open a RAW file in DPP - and do NOTHING to it - but convert it to 16 bit Tiff. Now do the same in LR and compare. Bottom line... the Canon algorithim deals with Canon RAW files better than Adobes RAW engine - END OF STORY.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78749\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When you say do basic adjusments in DPP, are you referring simply to temperture corrections,  hue/saturation adjusments and processing of the raw files, or just temperture correction and converting the raw file?
----

thompsonkirk

• http://www.red-green-blue.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 11:42:38 am »

In addition to your old PC mouse, go for a Wacom tablet - even the cheapest  one.

Kirk

benInMA

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 03:09:58 pm »

Too bad there is no way to try it out but since you got a Mac give Aperture a try, many of the issues have been resolved with version 1.5.

I would be a little wary of running it with 2GB of ram on a laptop.  But then I'm not sure how well Lightroom works on a laptop either.  In any case as of Version 1.5 I just got it this week and have been busily going through my files trying to tag/rate them, etc.. I've tried it on machines with 1GB, 2GB, and 3GB of ram.   1GB it's useless, 2GB it works pretty well but has delays, and with 3GB it seems you will never really use all the ram and it just screams.  On fast hardware it's faster then other tools.

The management features (particularly stacks) in Aperture really appear to save a ton of time.

In any case IMO you should either use Lightroom or use Aperture.. these new apps do bring a new level of time saving that takes a lot of the pain out of maintaining a digital library.

Josh-H

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 06:19:37 pm »

When you say do basic adjusments in DPP, are you referring simply to temperture corrections, hue/saturation adjusments and processing of the raw files, or just temperture correction and converting the raw file?

Its file dependant - but in general... White Balance, Exposure compensation, maybee a little tweaking of the curve. I'll usually see what DPP's auto tone curve assist does - its quite often pleasing. If not, maybee setting a few points and manual tweaking if required. Rarely adjust saturation unless required and then zero the sharpenig and off to PS CS2 for any more detailed work and capture, creative and output sharpening.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

francois

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 06:50:24 am »

I fully agree with you and I'm a heavy user of PKS myself. But I still think that without Photoshop (and PKS), one can live with LR sharpening.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 06:53:07 am by francois »
Francois

SteveLgBch

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 07:30:11 pm »

I fully agree with you and I'm a heavy user of PKS myself. But I still think that without Photoshop (and PKS), one can live with LR sharpening.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78887\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And DPP sharpening is one of my favorites for RAW.  I like it better than Photoshop Smart Sharpening.  Well, DPP is about my favorite RAW converter.

Josh-H

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 09:25:46 pm »

Well, DPP is about my favorite RAW converter.

TOTALLY AGREE - For shear RAW conversions its the best I have found for dealing with Canon files.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 12:44:07 am by JHolko »
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up