Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portrait  (Read 873 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Portrait
« on: April 15, 2018, 04:08:30 am »

Hello, I'm Ivo and I recently joined the LuLa community. Not sure if I will fit, I'm not a real nature landscape photographer. I do urban and social landscape photography, real estate and portraiture on 8x10"
But, it is inspiring to read about all the topics here on the forum....

I will trow in two of my 8x10" portraits, A portrait is a landscape, isn't it? :-)
My portrait works is all analogue on positive direct paper. Hope you all like it or have good suggestions

Ed Blagden

Re: Portrait
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 07:34:59 am »

Hello Ivo,

Welcome to LuLa.  Please stay.

User Critiques is for any kind of photograph, not just the rocks 'n trees 'n clouds kind.  Portraiture is, in my opinion, way more interesting and way harder to pull off. 

I love the second one.  A mugshot straight to camera is a bold choice and difficult to do well, but you have nailed it with the selective focus and toning, and the choice of subject.  I could look at that one for hours.  The first one not so much, maybe it looks better in print than on screen.

I'm curious: why do you work in analogue?

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 07:50:32 am »

Welcome,  Nice images.  Refreshingly different than the standard portrait lights.  There is something that speaks to the viewer in these images.  As a viewer, we sometimes quickly jump to a preconception of who the subject is.  The lighting is rule breaking and the tonality different.  These images stopped me and that is good. Keep putting images up.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 08:15:09 am »

Hi Evo, welcome to LuLa, a hangout for people who love to make photographs. I'm with Ed. Landscape and similar stuff (including icebergs) is a lot less interesting than pictures of things that move -- especially people. Your second shot is fascinating.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:35:03 am »

One other thing. You might want to fill out the rest of your profile so we know where you are and your age. I realize there are many people on LuLa who don't do that. But if you take a look at The Coffee Corner and see what these folks are saying, you can see why they don't want anyone to know any more about them than is absolutely necessary.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 09:58:15 am »

I bet he is my countryman :)

Welcome to LuLa!

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 11:26:08 am »

Hello Ivo,

I'm curious: why do you work in analogue?

Tx Ed,

A few years ago I had the feeling I was in a dead end with my photography. (and it was not only a feeling)
I thrown away all my picture (cerebral speaking) and started all over again. I searched a way how to capture without the possibility to tweak the image in a digital or analogue workflow. A method where the image in his whole was made in the 1/60' sec of the shutter and not afterwards in the darkroom.  I digged up my 8x10" Cambo and got me a pack of Harman direct positive paper. It toke a lot of calculations, trial and error, (and a bunch of strobes) to get the light I had in mind. But initially, I didn't manage to take the portrait I wanted.
And then I learned perhaps the most important lesson: A portrait is not a picture you 'take', it is a gift from the portrayed....

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 11:29:07 am »

One other thing. You might want to fill out the rest of your profile so we know where you are and your age. I realize there are many people on LuLa who don't do that. But if you take a look at The Coffee Corner and see what these folks are saying, you can see why they don't want anyone to know any more about them than is absolutely necessary.

Haha, I will fill out my profile... :-)

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 11:38:02 am »

Well done.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 11:39:45 am »

Welcome to the tribe.

Believe what you see rather than what you read!

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up