Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what version?  (Read 2766 times)

KeithR

what version?
« on: April 13, 2018, 06:09:13 pm »

Ok, this may be simple for some, but I'm a bit confused. I have the subscription photo bundle consisting of Photoshop & Lightroom. The versions list PS as PS CC 14.2.1 x 64 and Lightroom 5 as v5.7 / Camera Raw 8.7.
Both say that I'm up to date.
Now do I have Lightroom CC or Lightroom Classic. I'm on Win 7x64 desktop and I've tried to download the latest update about the profiles, but I get a message
"This computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run Lightroom CC"
Could someone enlighten me on this!
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Lustrous

Re: what version?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 03:07:00 am »

You certainly are a long way behind the upgrades & updates.
Windows-7 needs to be running the Service Pack 1 as a minimum to be suitable for Lightroom Classic & PS
Might be time for a computer upgrade?
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/system-requirements.html

PS is now at 19.1.3 (ACR 10.3.0.933)
LR is now at Classic 7.3

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 03:42:38 am »

"This computer doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run Lightroom CC"
Could someone enlighten me on this!

It's Adobe's really confusing product naming that is to blame.

The real Lightroom, the successor to "Lightroom 5 as v5.7" is now called "Lightroom Classic CC". This is the program you would want to use, it should work on WIndows 7, and its current version is 7.3.

The so-called "Lightroom CC" is a completely new application which will not run on Windows 7. It is a cloud-dependent app similar to Lightroom Mobile and stores originals in the cloud, and it has fewer features or much-simplified ones than real Lightroom. Even if you wanted to do so, you won't be able to run "Lightroom CC" on Windows 7.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 07:02:41 am »

Lightroom CC is also not part of your PS/LR bundle, so you would end up paying more for it if you installed and started using it.  As John said you want Lightroom Classic CC.  I can't recall what LR 5 was like but with the last but one release the performance of LR Classic CC was improved quite a bit, so you may see a performance bump depending on your hardware.

Edit : I just realized that in fact Lightroom CC is included in our PS/LR plan, but with only 20GB of storage (1TB will cost an additional $10/month)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:22:33 am by mcbroomf »

KeithR

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 04:39:53 pm »

I upgraded to Win 10 yesterday but my subscription LR/PS (the photo bundle) still says my version of LR is 5.7 and no updates at this time

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 05:15:48 pm »

Just download LR CC Classic from the Adobe website.  I'd guess that LR 5 is only looking for a new version of LR 5

KeithR

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 05:22:51 pm »

Since I have the subscription(and have been for a few years), shouldn't this be automatically done as they say updates are automatic and ongoing?

KeithR

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 05:23:57 pm »

And if I download it, will that increase the monthly subscription price?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:29:04 pm by KeithR »

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 06:08:56 pm »

No you can download LR CC classic and PS CC as many times as you like, you can only have it active on 2 computers at a time (it will ask you to deactivate on one of the others if you have it on 3 but you can switch back and forth easily).  You'd only need to pay an additional subscription if you wanted to use 3 or 4 instances of PS or LS CC at the same time.  I have it loaded on 4 PC/laptops but just deactivate it on one when I want to use it on a 3rd for example.

Why LR 5 does not tell there is an update?  As I said I think it's looking for an updated version of LR 5 (which LR CC Classic is not).  I suppose LR 6 might be considered an update but that's also not LR CC

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 06:38:30 am »

Since I have the subscription(and have been for a few years), shouldn't this be automatically done as they say updates are automatic and ongoing?

Download Adobe's Creative Cloud desktop app from https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html . Once you have installed it and signed in, it then automatically notifies you of updates, and you can then choose which to install. It should list Lr Classic.

John

KeithR

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 11:00:38 pm »

Thank you. I'll check it out first chance I get. What about the 5 catalog. Will upgrading change my existing catalog?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 04:13:10 am »

Assuming you have 5 set to always opens the same catalogue....

When you first use 7/Classic, it backs up that catalogue (so you can still open it in 5) and then upgrades the format.

KeithR

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 09:04:42 am »

I downloaded LR CC Classic last night. No problems that I could see but didn't have a lot of time to look into it. Did it just copy the 5 catalog and is now a 7 catalog? Can I remove 5 from my computer or did 7 just overwrite 5? I have the icons for 5 & 7 on the desktop so that's why I'm asking.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 09:27:25 am »

"Did it just copy the 5 catalog and is now a 7 catalog?"

That's what it should have done. Does everything look right? In Explorer, look in the folder which contains the catalogue and you'll see the version 7 one (usually with -2 in the name) and the version 5 one. You do need to know where your catalogues are, and which is which.

They are separate applications too. Leave 5 alone until you are confident everything is OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up