Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Head gap and head strikes  (Read 1461 times)

lara_ckl

Head gap and head strikes
« on: April 12, 2018, 05:21:40 pm »

Recently, I tested out some "art" papers on my Pixma Pro-10 using OEM inks and manufacturer's media-type settings and ICC profiles.

Of the papers I tested, I like the Canson Platine best.  However, the Canson Platine was also the only paper that gave me trouble.  (See thread: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=124103.msg1036785#msg1036785)

To keep using the Canson Platine paper, I am:
1. Checking the "prevent paper abrasion" checkbox in the Canon Printer Utility.
2. Trying to reverse the curl as much as possible before feeding the paper into the printer.
3. Supporting the paper as it exits the printer to prevent the trailing edge of the paper from hitting the head.

Question:
1. Does increasing the head gap decrease the print quality?
2. Does occasional head strike reduce the life of the printhead/printer?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:45:01 pm by lara_ckl »

mearussi

Re: Head gap and head strikes
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 06:51:35 pm »

Recently, I tested out some "art" papers on my Pixma Pro-10 using OEM inks and manufacturer's media type settings and ICC profiles.

Of the papers I tested, I like the Canson Platine best.  However, the Canson Platine was also the only paper that gave me trouble.  (See thread: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=124103.msg1036785#msg1036785)

To keep using the Canson Platine paper, I am:
1. Checking the "prevent paper abrasion" checkbox in the Canon Printer Utility.
2. Trying to reverse the curl as much as possible before feeding the paper into the printer.
3. Supporting the paper as it exits the printer to prevent the trailing edge of the paper from hitting the head.

Question:
1. Does increasing the head gap decrease the print quality?
2. Does occasional head strike reduce the life of the printhead/printer?
Yes to both questions, though the first one is not that important as it will just lower the resolution and edge sharpness a bit. But head strikes can be very expensive if it really damages the head (bad ones can actually destroy the head).

Platine used to be a very flat paper pretty much free of curl, but recently others have also been reporting having problems with edge curl. I used to use Platine all the time but have recently switched to Canson's Baryta Prestige as it produces even better image quality on my printer (Epson 7800). I use 24" rolls and haven't had any edge curl at all (but I've never used any cut sheets). So you might want to try a box of Prestige to see both how you like it as well as to see if it curls less.
Pages: [1]   Go Up