Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disappointed with Photokina  (Read 5751 times)

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
Disappointed with Photokina
« on: October 01, 2006, 08:03:23 pm »

I was really looking forward to an upgrade for the Ds2.  Bigger LCD and eyepiece for easier viewing; less aggressive AA filter and 22 Mp sensor for better detail, and anti-dust for cleaner images.  Any rumours as to when we can expect an upgrade and what it might include?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 08:38:56 pm »

I was really looking forward to an upgrade for the Ds2.  Bigger LCD and eyepiece for easier viewing; less aggressive AA filter and 22 Mp sensor for better detail, and anti-dust for cleaner images.  Any rumours as to when we can expect an upgrade and what it might include?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78676\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The fact is, those who might know are not authorized to speak.

Besides, one has to wonder if there is real value for brands like Canon and Nikon to introduce their new toys during events like Photokina or the PMA.

- Nikon introduced the D80 more than one month before the show, probably to avoid being lost in the noise of other announcements, Canon reacted in a similar way with the 400D,
- Many of the annoucements done during the Kina are related to goods that will only be available in 6 months or so, many of those could not even be touched during the show.

Most people will probably answer you that the next Canon/Nikon high end bodies will be introduced in Feb 07 during the PMA in Florida, but I am personnally not sure that the annoucement will be synchronized with a major show.

Cheers,
Bernard

GregW

• http://
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 07:15:54 am »

The fact is, those who might know are not authorized to speak.

Besides, one has to wonder if there is real value for brands like Canon and Nikon to introduce their new toys during events like Photokina or the PMA.

- Nikon introduced the D80 more than one month before the show, probably to avoid being lost in the noise of other announcements, Canon reacted in a similar way with the 400D,
- Many of the annoucements done during the Kina are related to goods that will only be available in 6 months or so, many of those could not even be touched during the show.

Most people will probably answer you that the next Canon/Nikon high end bodies will be introduced in Feb 07 during the PMA in Florida, but I am personnally not sure that the annoucement will be synchronized with a major show.

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78681\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree.  In an ever more competative environment waiting 2 years for Photokina or a yearly PMA is a thing of the past.  

Imo the D80 and 400D announcements had a strong feeling of 'Don't forget about us' about them.  Nikon didn't want to loose a days's market share to Sony's Alpha DSLR  and neither did Canon.

I think this type of market driven announcements will become the norm in the DSLR segment.

SeanFS

• http://www.seanshadbolt.co.nz
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 03:47:11 pm »

I was waiting for a replacement last year , the bought the 1ds2 and have no regrets. I'm not sure what i would do with more resolution - and it needs the best lenses and secure bolting to a tripod to  get the best out of it as it is. I wasn't totally happy with the colour until I started using Capture one.

Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with the volume of data I have to deal with and store and the addition of a 22mp back to my  gear has only made matters worse in that regard.

Yes , the anti dust system would be nice. Historically higher end pro gear always seems to be the last to get these newer features .The larger screen would be nice too, but the screen it has is ok.

As Canon are really king of the hill with this camera as it is ,and there is no immediate FF threat from Nikon, I'm sure they will take their time releasing a successor, and it would have to be something very special when they do.

I was really looking forward to an upgrade for the Ds2.  Bigger LCD and eyepiece for easier viewing; less aggressive AA filter and 22 Mp sensor for better detail, and anti-dust for cleaner images.  Any rumours as to when we can expect an upgrade and what it might include?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78676\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Peter Bangkok

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 09:56:28 pm »

Thanks for your wise comment Sean

I feel there are many people out there just waiting for the next thing, whatever it might be.

Also tired of listening to various companies announcements of products to come "probably by spring 2007" etc..

Despite all the critisism about the Hasselblad lately, many people missed a point where they said the new H3D is available immediately. No vague promise about the future.

KenRexach

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 11:14:31 pm »

Im fairly certain that the New 1Ds is ready and has been ready for a few months. But like mentioned, the lack of competition keeps Canon from releasing it. There is no need since the current 1Ds mk2 still exceeds Nikons best offering in overall image quality and performance even though its 2 years old!

Canon is just way ahead of everyone else. Hope that changes.

Steve Kerman

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 01:44:28 pm »

Im fairly certain that the New 1Ds is ready and has been ready for a few months. But like mentioned, the lack of competition keeps Canon from releasing it. There is no need since the current 1Ds mk2 still exceeds Nikons best offering in overall image quality and performance even though its 2 years old!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79149\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
What possible motive could they have for holding back a product that's completely ready to go?  A substantially-improved 1Ds would be a massive blow to Nikon.  It would be insane for them to hold it back.

What evidence do you have that they have a finished 1Ds mk2 that they're holding back?
Pages: [1]   Go Up