Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 and iMac Pro?  (Read 3607 times)

ppmax2

C1 and iMac Pro?
« on: April 11, 2018, 09:50:14 am »

Hi--

Anyone here using C1 and an iMac Pro? Would love to hear your comments on performance, stability, etc.

Thanks again
PP

dc

Re: C1 and iMac Pro?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 12:07:39 pm »

I just upgraded to a base iMac Pro from a 2011 iMac ssd and 24MB of ram and I have to say it is pretty darn fast!

No appreciable lag in using Wacom tablet, in exporting where it can use all the cores, the process in exporting multiple images in different recipes is very fast. Single core processes are a little bit faster.

Be prepared to get an external ssd for direct storage. I already use spinning drives for backup and older images storage. the 1TB internal drive is not so big.

Doug

ppmax2

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:53:00 pm »

Thanks for the information Doug, much appreciated.

What has your experience been like when using masks and layers? On my MBP (15" Touch Bar version) I found that drawing masks would occasionally send C1 into a temporary tailspin when drawing the mask. Hopefully this is better!

FWIW I'm also using a Wacom tablet...no mice for me ;)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:21:01 am »

I got the iMac Pro early, well souped up one.  Love it for photo editing and does super on Video.  Capture One flies on it.  Masking, as well as scrolling through thousands of previews,  is super fast.  I move fast when using C1 and the computer is keeping up with me.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

dc

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 03:44:19 pm »

Thanks for the information Doug, much appreciated.

What has your experience been like when using masks and layers? On my MBP (15" Touch Bar version) I found that drawing masks would occasionally send C1 into a temporary tailspin when drawing the mask. Hopefully this is better!

FWIW I'm also using a Wacom tablet...no mice for me ;)

PP, no lags on drawing or showing and hiding multiple masks of all kinds either sharpening, color, or exposure changes. as to the stupid mouse that came with the iMac.... I'm so much a tablet and or apple touchpad kinda guy that using the included mouse makes me a bit batty.

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 05:36:19 pm »

PP, no lags on drawing or showing and hiding multiple masks of all kinds either sharpening, color, or exposure changes. as to the stupid mouse that came with the iMac.... I'm so much a tablet and or apple touchpad kinda guy that using the included mouse makes me a bit batty.

Kevin, is the imac PRO able to be fully calibrated with Xrite's "i1" such as the Eizo monitors?

dc

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 11:48:50 am »

Ive just successfully profiled my iMac Pro with a i1. Seems to have worked once you spank the xrite software into behaving on a 5k screen!

Doug

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 07:51:22 am »

Hi--

Anyone here using C1 and an iMac Pro? Would love to hear your comments on performance, stability, etc.

Thanks again
PP

I purchased my iMac Pro 8-core, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB video card, 64Gb RAM and 2TB SSD in December 2017.

I did a clean install of my applications instead of migrating from the 3 year old iMac 5k that the iMac Pro replaced. I did this because I didn't want the crud in the OS to be moved to my new Mac.

The only issue that I had was with SoftRaid used to run my Thunderbolt-attached OWC ThunderBay4 drive. I was advised by SoftRaid to disable the new security function unique to the iMac Pro OS by booting the in the emergency boot partition and switching off the security feature in tools. Once this was done, everything was working well with SoftRaid.

The new machine rocks with Capture One Pro. I just installed the v11.1 update this week. Import speed has definitely improved and I love the new features. It take me a while to fully explore all of the new features.

Since version 10, Capture One Pro has been very stable. Here is my set up:

• C1P catalogues reside on my internal SSD drive in my user folder (not in the Pictures folder) so it is backup by TimeMachine

• C1P preferences are set to back up the catalogue at the close of each session to an external drive

• Image folders and backup catalogue files are backed up realtime to a Synology NAS on my 10GB network (I take advantage of the iMacPro's built in 10Gb ethernet)

• Images reside on my external Thunderbay4 drive in a nested folder structure by date (year/month/day)

The above set up has been working great since installing the iMac Pro. Loving it!

I had my house wired for ethernet though out the house when we built it 14 years ago with Cat 5E cables. I had an electrician run Cat6E ethernet cables from where my iMac Pro is on the first floor of my house to the equipment storage closet in my finished basement. Replacing the required cabling with Cat6E to my Synology DS1817 (built in 10GB ethernet) and installing a 10GB unmanaged switch increased the network speed read/write speed from about 50-90mps to 250-400mps. This is faster speeds than when I had a Drobo 5N3 directly connected to my iMacPro. I have since retired the Drobo.

A second Synology DS1817 is installed at my office building, 10 miles away, and accepts the real time backups from my home Synology. The Synology software to accomplish this was very easy to set up if you are technically proficient.

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up