Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibration question for older Eizo SX2462W  (Read 2714 times)

stuff@hardysgarage.com

Calibration question for older Eizo SX2462W
« on: April 09, 2018, 08:28:38 am »

Hi All,
Hoping someone here can answer this question, perhaps someone familiar with the older generation of Eizo's.  I want to hardware calibrate an Eizo SX2462W, by hardware calibrate, I mean using the Easypix Software (or similar) which will calibrate via the monitors internal LUT, rather than the 'software' approach, as I have found this is the best approach in the past.

But I've come across some hurdles, firstly I found that the software required is the Eizo Easypix software, this I think is OK, because I could download a copy from the Eizo site.  The issue is that this software only works with the EX1 & EX2 sensor's as I understand, and that these are re-badged or modified Spyder 3 & Spyder 4's.

Now my question is, since I have the monitor, and the software, but can't find an Eizo EX1 or EX2 anywhere, will a Spyder 3 or 4 do the trick?  Or if not, if anyone was willing to sell an old EX2 if needed, I'd be happy to take that off your hands to solve the problem :).

Thanks,
John

stuff@hardysgarage.com

Re: Calibration question for older Eizo SX2462W
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:32:36 am »

By the way I have been with LuLa for some time, but seem to have lost my old forum name, I would change my forum name from 'stuff@hardysgarage.com', to something more sensible, as soon as I can recall the password this was created with!

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 04:11:19 pm »

Hardware calibration in SX is only a bogus, Spyder 3 sensor is pathetic, and Spyder 4 sensor is not much better.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

stuff@hardysgarage.com

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 03:39:07 am »

Hi Czornyyj,

Do you think you could expand the answer a little, this doesn't give me much to work on :)

Thanks,

John

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 10:16:40 am »

In terms of Spyder (don't go there):

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=103094.msg845726#msg845726
The higher the reported dE, the worse the unit preformed. So you'll see two Spyder's (newest models) were 9.9 and 7.2 which is pretty awful. The X-rite products were 1.4 and as low as 0.8!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

stuff@hardysgarage.com

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 06:51:08 pm »

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the link, good info, so I could see how using a spyder with higher delta E could kind of 'sabotage' the whole point of hardware calibration.

Can I throw another related question your way, I have noticed if I use the display cal software, there is an option called 'import colorimeter correction', it has an option for spyder's and some x-rite products, what you do is select the install package file for your product (such as the spyder 4 software which can be downloaded from the manufacture website), and displaycal will pull some kind of 'correction factor' out of that. I would like to know what this correction doing and why.  Because I wonder then if you use different software with the spyder (or any other device) does it's output always then need a correction applied to get the correct reading, and how that affects any other software that uses these devices, such as easypix, colour navigator, nec spectraview, or anything else.  And is this correction a general correction for the equipment, or if it is somehow an individual correction for each device.

Thanks,
John

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 07:25:31 pm »

Generally if a new display technology comes about that doesn't fit the assumptions of the current correction filter matrixes, one can download them to correct for this disconnect.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 10:33:37 pm »

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the link, good info, so I could see how using a spyder with higher delta E could kind of 'sabotage' the whole point of hardware calibration.

Can I throw another related question your way, I have noticed if I use the display cal software, there is an option called 'import colorimeter correction', it has an option for spyder's and some x-rite products, what you do is select the install package file for your product (such as the spyder 4 software which can be downloaded from the manufacture website), and displaycal will pull some kind of 'correction factor' out of that. I would like to know what this correction doing and why.  Because I wonder then if you use different software with the spyder (or any other device) does it's output always then need a correction applied to get the correct reading, and how that affects any other software that uses these devices, such as easypix, colour navigator, nec spectraview, or anything else.  And is this correction a general correction for the equipment, or if it is somehow an individual correction for each device.

Thanks,
John

Colorimeters need these correction matrixes for each type of display technology.  You will need to find out what type of display backlight your Eizo uses and select the correct choice that is downloaded for Displaycal.  Keep in mind that these are "canned" correction matrixes, so you won't get absolute accuracy.  But if you choose the wrong one, the calibration will most likely look a bit off in the white balance.

I have an Eizo CX display and I believe that the Colornavigator software should recognize the probe type and apply the correct "canned" matrix for that instrument.  But, I'm not sure if Spyder is supported by Eizo.  The colornavigator works well with my i1 Display Pro.  But not quite as well as Displaycal when used with both an i1 Display Pro and a Spectrophotometer to measure your (or mine) display and create a custom matrix offset for the i1 Display Pro.  Unfortunately, ColorNavigator can not do this with displays that don't store a true 3D LUT in the display, and mine does not. That said, I only use the complicated method to create a 3d LUT for video applications, but for Photoshop, I just use the i1 Display Pro with the ColorNavigator software and it's really close enough.  And, Displaycal is a bit difficult to figure out all the correct settings, so I'd first go the ColorNavigator route.  If your results are bad, buy an i1 Display Pro and be happy.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

stuff@hardysgarage.com

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 12:20:59 am »

Thanks all
Pages: [1]   Go Up