Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-H1 impressions  (Read 8098 times)

Stephen Scharf

Re: Fuji X-H1 impressions
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 12:38:57 pm »

As I stated in another topic I think Fuji missed the boat here in not increasing their battery size. This was the perfect opportunity, larger grip and overall size. I would love the IBIS but by itself is not good enough to upgrade from the X-T series.

Fujifilm had reasons for not increasing the battery size, which they have stated in interviews was to use to one battery type/charger system as they knew many of their customers had other Fuji X-cameras and did not want to have to manage two different types of batteries and chargers. This decision was informed by their Voice of Customer (VOC) intelligence. You can bet this was fully considered and discussed by Fujfilm at the time of the development of the X-H1 and they made the decision based on the VOC intelligence from their customers.

On the other hand, another photograher in another forum made the suggestion for Fuji to make a larger, higher capacity battery in the form of  the battery tray in the booster grip, which I think is a good idea. This is certainly this is something they could do.

Personally, I don't find it to be an issue; I can shoot racing all day long on Continuous High using the VPBG. And the batteries are compact enough that if required, I can carry three spare batteries in my photo vest pocket very easily. They are certainly easier to carry and lighter than one spare battery for my Canon 1D MkIIN. More to the point, I find that when I am using the camera in Continuous High-Speed mode, I consistently get ~1000 frames per battery; I got this capacity even back when I was using my X-T1. The other configuration that can be done is to turn off the rear LCD when using the camera in this mode for even more capacity.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 12:46:06 pm by Stephen Scharf »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 05:29:26 pm »

Fujifilm had reasons for not increasing the battery size, which they have stated in interviews was to use to one battery type/charger system as they knew many of their customers had other Fuji X-cameras and did not want to have to manage two different types of batteries and chargers. This decision was informed by their Voice of Customer (VOC) intelligence. You can bet this was fully considered and discussed by Fujfilm at the time of the development of the X-H1 and they made the decision based on the VOC intelligence from their customers.

On the other hand, another photograher in another forum made the suggestion for Fuji to make a larger, higher capacity battery in the form of  the battery tray in the booster grip, which I think is a good idea. This is certainly this is something they could do.

Personally, I don't find it to be an issue; I can shoot racing all day long on Continuous High using the VPBG. And the batteries are compact enough that if required, I can carry three spare batteries in my photo vest pocket very easily. They are certainly easier to carry and lighter than one spare battery for my Canon 1D MkIIN. More to the point, I find that when I am using the camera in Continuous High-Speed mode, I consistently get ~1000 frames per battery; I got this capacity even back when I was using my X-T1. The other configuration that can be done is to turn off the rear LCD when using the camera in this mode for even more capacity.

You might give them a little too much credit. They also said IBIS is not possible with this mount.
Yes, the battery is ok but with more stuff to be done and more powerful processors there will be limits that could have been avoided.
This was the perfect opportunity to increase the battery, what are they going to do, stay with this battery for the next 10 years?
Considering my investment it would be nice if they would survive for a longer period of time but Fuji doesn't live in a vacuum and if Sony could increase their battery so should Fuji.
I really don't buy their argument, Canon and Nikon changed batteries and I would think they fit the professional label. I think there was some rush to get the camera on the market faster and cheaper. After all, it's a new line of cameras and not and upgrade to the X-T series.

rdonson

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2018, 06:09:26 pm »

or.... they may have more insight into battery tech than we do.  It is possible that a similar sized W126 battery could hold 25% more charge than the existing LiOn.  Of course, then we'd be complaining that it cost more than LiOn.  ;)

Like Stephen, I'm good with what I've got with my X-T2 and VBG. 
Regards,
Ron

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 06:41:49 pm »

or.... they may have more insight into battery tech than we do.  It is possible that a similar sized W126 battery could hold 25% more charge than the existing LiOn.  Of course, then we'd be complaining that it cost more than LiOn.  ;)

Like Stephen, I'm good with what I've got with my X-T2 and VBG.

Yeah, me too. As far as I am concerned, these are "little things" and life's too short to gnash my teeth and wring my hands about the small stuff; better to focus on the big stuff.  I'm very happy we have these amazing cameras and lenses we have today. We're suffering from an "embarrassment of riches".

David S

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 12:05:00 pm »

So I carry two extra batteries in a pocket and have yet to miss a shot and that involves a lot of birding stuff.

Dave S

armand

• Photos
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 01:16:53 pm »

That's missing the point. I'm managing ok with what I have now but they rushed this one and this is not fixable in firmware.
It doesn't add up particularly as they market the X-H1 as a hybrid camera, how long do you think you can shoot 4K without the grip?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up