Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Medium Format on safari ??  (Read 4761 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Re: Medium Format on safari ??
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 03:40:10 am »

Okay so I have just arrived back in Phuket so now have my H6D100c with me. I just tried the HC1.7 TC plus HC300mm and I’m gutted to find out that the manual focus aid conformation doesn’t work with this setup. I tried my HC100mm and it works perfectly. I’m also disappointed that there was no Auto ISO in the recent firmware update..........
Not sure what to do now??

Neil

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 05:14:48 am »

Hi,

If AF does not work it would also indicate that focus confirmation does not work as they use the same PDAF mechanism.

What will always work is manual focusing on the focusing screen or magnified live view on the back. Accurate focusing in the viewfinder may not be easy.

It may be possible that you can get better results with the 300 without the extender and cropping, that will still give you 35 MP. I would suggest you can do a few tests in your backyard.

How to evaluate? I would decide on a print size, say 30"x40". So, I would shoot something with both the 300 and using the 300 with 1.7X extender. Crop the image and resize to 30"x40" at 180 PPI in Photoshop, view both at actual pixels side by side and find out what works best for you.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2018, 06:30:15 am »

Eric
Here are the two images that you suggested to take.......(Just a lion cub hanging out)
300mm NO TC and shot with AF

300mm Plus TC LV zoom focus

Both shot at f8 ISO800 and 1/300
What do you think??

The HC300 AF is very snappy and fast. Shooting the HC300 plus TC is maybe going to be a PITA but I'm on safari for 8 days..........if it turns out to be a nightmare with the TC then I can always leave it off

Neil
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up