Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printer profiles between operating systems  (Read 2199 times)

aderickson

Printer profiles between operating systems
« on: April 06, 2018, 05:32:44 pm »

I've made printer/paper profiles for my R3000 on Windows a few years ago but now I'm moving my photo editing and printing to a Mac.

Will my Windows profiles work on my Mac (with the same printer)?

And a related question: do printers drift over time as monitors do? In other words, with a given printer/paper profile, is it one and done?

Allan

Doug Gray

Re: Printer profiles between operating systems
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 05:46:05 pm »

I've made printer/paper profiles for my R3000 on Windows a few years ago but now I'm moving my photo editing and printing to a Mac.

Will my Windows profiles work on my Mac (with the same printer)?
Yes. Profiles are OS agnostic. There is a convention that profiles for Apple use the .icc suffix while Windows uses the .icm suffix. Just rename them if need be.

And a related question: do printers drift over time as monitors do? In other words, with a given printer/paper profile, is it one and done?

Allan

They do drift, but not a lot. The largest changes are when people switch inks from OEM to off brand. Good idea to get a custom profile when/if doing that.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 06:00:07 pm »

Yes. Profiles are OS agnostic.

But do the different color engines process them the same? I think there may be subtle differences.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 06:16:00 pm »

But do the different color engines process them the same? I think there may be subtle differences.
CMM's can differ but unless you find a buggy one (like in the very old days), the differences are tiny and insignificant.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Doug Gray

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 06:40:38 pm »

CMM's can differ but unless you find a buggy one (like in the very old days), the differences are tiny and insignificant.
Yep. Not only that but the creation of profiles bypasses CMMs which are only used in applying the profiles after they have been created/installed. So, no worries.

As a side note I have found some differences between Adobe's CMM and Microsoft's handling of matrix profiles. The latter incorrectly handles Abs. Col conversions in RGB colorspaces that have media white point set differently than D50 which is most of them. This was due to an early ambiguity in V2 profiles that was corrected over 15 years ago but remains in Microsoft's ICM (CMM). Best not to use it. As far are printers go, the Adobe CMM, has always given very good results and I always use the Adobe CMM except when experimenting.

smilem

• Color Management Services
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 11:16:39 am »

I would not agree for example on epson R3000 even on same windows 7 OS, driver version 1.71 vs. 1.75 has differences in grayscale that is measurable. So there are differences, and it's best to re create the profiles if certification proves there are visible differences.

Doug Gray

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 12:22:06 pm »

I would not agree for example on epson R3000 even on same windows 7 OS, driver version 1.71 vs. 1.75 has differences in grayscale that is measurable. So there are differences, and it's best to re create the profiles if certification proves there are visible differences.

It's a big deal when an OEM changes the raw RGB -> CYMK inking pattern. This is typically hard fixed in the drivers with identical mapping for driver step changes let alone for different OS's.

This would invalidate existing OEM installed profiles as well.

That said, the drivers do determine the RGB->inking so changes, intentional or not (bugs), can certainly occur. I haven't seen any changes in my 9800 from the days of XP 32 bit drivers to the current ones installed on Win10 x64.

If you have specific data on this it would be quite a service to help quantify and document what you have observed. An actual driver rev change creating a difference in inking would be quite concerning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up