Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New MacPro won't hit until 2019  (Read 2780 times)

Kirk_C

New MacPro won't hit until 2019
« on: April 06, 2018, 05:04:29 pm »

At least they're telling us when. That's new.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: New MacPro won't hit until 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 06:11:58 pm »

Yes, read that too.

My MacPro 2013 will be 5+ years old by then which is about the time span I was planning to use it for, so not a major problem for me.

In these days of constantly evolving tech, I feel that it is important to have clear and consistent rules about pace of upgrading:
- computer: 5 years,
- tv: 8 years
- speakers: 10 years
- camera: well that’s an exception... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 10:59:00 pm »

Yes, read that too.

My MacPro 2013 will be 5+ years old by then which is about the time span I was planning to use it for, so not a major problem for me.

In these days of constantly evolving tech, I feel that it is important to have clear and consistent rules about pace of upgrading:
- computer: 5 years,
- tv: 8 years
- speakers: 10 years
- camera: well that’s an exception... ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Haha, fine connoisseur and collector of the art of the light box, with emphasise on the light box, of course...!
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Kirk_C

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 11:39:47 pm »

With the announcement of the new PreRes RAW on the heals of the video purposed iMac Pro the delay of the Mac Pro comes as no surprise to me. Clearly us static image types are a dwindling minority.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 07:32:32 am »

Haha, fine connoisseur and collector of the art of the light box, with emphasise on the light box, of course...!

;D ;D ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 09:46:12 am »

It seems Apple, with all the money in the world, needs more than 10 years to come up with a Mac Pro design as good or better than the old tower.

In the mean time they can put out every year an iPhone and a new tablet. It is a joke.

I think i have to built one myself; sure it will take me less than 3 months to make something better than Apple can offer for my needs.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 01:19:55 pm »

Quite frankly, I don't understand people's continued fascination for Apple's operating system/hardware in the last 10 years. I will admit, I was a MAC fanboy for the first 20 years or so. But my plastic tower's mother board died after 3 years and it was going to cost $800 to replace it, and an HP Tower with Windows XP at Best Buy cost only $500. It got me off and running.

Apple has always been a Premium hardware/software combo. There was a time, it was the only choice when it came to Photoshop and graphic design and early video. But times have changed. Apple's cash cow is the iPhone, and even that is at it's peak and starting to slide??

Computing has become a commodity. Are we headed back to the centralized computing model when all we need is a display with some sort of input method, be it a touch screen, keyboard, or graphics tablet?

I just think that Apple doesn't have a vision for the future. Everything Apple today was part of Job's vision. Nothing new has come to pass. Interesting that you can have such a huge company with a wonderful futuristic building, tens and thousands of people working, billions of working capitol, and still can't seem to come up with a vision for a computing commodity workstation that is ongoing!

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 09:34:40 pm »

Indeed.

Now, the reality is that the power of my 4 years old Mac Pro is still vastly sufficient for my heavy photographic applications.

Image processing used to be a demanding application but it is now peanuts compared to video or engineering apps needs. So top end H/W is orders of magnitude (like in hundreds of times) too fast for our needs.

The power of the latest nvidia compute cards can be compared to the Cray super computers of not that long ago and you can put 2 of these in an HP Z8 worksration with 1 TB of RAM. Yes, these will cost 30,000 US$ and will be totally overkill for photographers.

So the real problem Apple is facing with the Pro is that the power hungry engineering apps that would require real differentiated high end Mac workstation... mostly don’t run on OSX.

Cheers,
Bernard

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 09:26:44 am »

Quite frankly, I don't understand people's continued fascination for Apple's operating system/hardware in the last 10 years.

For me, OS X still holds the advantage over Windows. But I'm in the minority.

I just think that Apple doesn't have a vision for the future. Everything Apple today was part of Job's vision. Nothing new has come to pass.

Steve Jobs was quite the visionary. It was a special thing to live through, I think. Here was a singular man, not exactly a role model for many people, who changed personal computing for everyone even though his platform wasn't used by the masses.

I agree: Tim Cook has no vision, but in fairness, his predecessor was an anomaly.
~ CB

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 11:21:24 am »

Now, the reality is that the power of my 4 years old Mac Pro is still vastly sufficient for my heavy photographic applications.

Couldn't agree more.  I'm also using a 2013 Mac Pro, and have never found it to be deficient in either CPU cycles or graphics performance for still photo post-processing.  I'm not sure I'll feel the need to replace it even next year.

So the real problem Apple is facing with the Pro is that the power hungry engineering apps that would require real differentiated high end Mac workstation... mostly don’t run on OSX.

I suspect most really compute-intensive engineering and scientific applications are now running on parallelized Linux—or, perhaps where very high availability is required, enterprise UNIX on HP, IBM, or Oracle hardware.  The gamers are performance gluttons, as well, of course, but they primarily need desktop graphics cycles and are locked into Microsoft.

I have no inside information, but I believe that when Apple management refers to the "professional" market, it's video editing they have in mind.  Partly because the cachet of being a major player in the video market is important to Apple and partly because it's a good source of volume purchasers.  Giving some of those people direct access to Apple's hardware and software developers strikes me as a smart move.  It reminds me of how things worked at Xerox during the era when PARC was inventing the networked computer workstation.

tonysiciliano1

• Tony Siciliano Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 12:20:04 pm »

I also have a 2013 Mac Pro (6 cores) which is still very fast and adequate for still photo editing, and don't anticipate replacing it anytime soon. While we are whining, my major complaint with Apple is that most of the updates and improvements to the OS concern connectivity between devices (and security) rather than improvements or innovations in computing.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 09:33:04 pm »

I suspect most really compute-intensive engineering and scientific applications are now running on parallelized Linux—or, perhaps where very high availability is required, enterprise UNIX on HP, IBM, or Oracle hardware.  The gamers are performance gluttons, as well, of course, but they primarily need desktop graphics cycles and are locked into Microsoft.

I have no inside information, but I believe that when Apple management refers to the "professional" market, it's video editing they have in mind.  Partly because the cachet of being a major player in the video market is important to Apple and partly because it's a good source of volume purchasers.  Giving some of those people direct access to Apple's hardware and software developers strikes me as a smart move.  It reminds me of how things worked at Xerox during the era when PARC was inventing the networked computer workstation.

You are probably right.

One notable exception for engineering apps are the CAD applications that now include very power hungry real time ray tracing, heavy simulations,...

Cheers,
Bernard

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 02:27:00 am »

There is no parallelized Linux... Linux kernel it is the same in all distributions. If you want High Availability you are still using Linux. Oracle that had Solaris... stopped developing it. Not sure if HP is still wasting effort in HP UX, all their high end servers are sold with Linux distributions as an option. IBM probably still sells lots of their Unix to banks, since porting applications to Linux there cost more money than still paying IBM for their big Z servers.

But if you look to Top 500 supercomputers in the world. All running Linux. Scientific simulation software... runs in Linux. High availability infrastructures that provide Amazon AWS services, Google services and even part of Microsoft Azure services, all running Linux.

I don’t think Apple never bother to get the scientific market... they’re happy to sell them MacBook for taking to their research conferences and so on... for the rest, they just buy high end workstations like the HP ones mentioned here.

As for gamers, Microsoft did it very well with DirectX and won the market, their graphic libraries. Probably with Metal you can get games as quick as with DirectX... but why bother? The majority of gamers use PCs... game developers just develop for PC and everybody is happy... even Steam, one of the biggest game developers and platforms, gave up trying to push their linux based game boxes, now steam game shop focus only on Windows.

http://dgpfotografia.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up