Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EPSON P800 will NOT fully feed with EFP  (Read 1838 times)

Laminarman

EPSON P800 will NOT fully feed with EFP
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:43:02 pm »

I only have about a half dozen prints through my new P800.  8x10 were great, but now on 13x19 Epson EFP it will feed about 90% of the way through then fail to push it through, it sticks and gets linear scratches on the end of the print.  Now, there is a slight edge curl to the paper (long edges so away from the rollers) and I can't believe how hard it is to get these out.  Doesn't seem like that would do it.  Googling has not helped me.  Also, try as I might, it is always just a little crooked going through, not perfectly square.  Any help here??? 

I.T. Supplies

Re: EPSON P800 will NOT fully feed with EFP
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 05:44:37 pm »

If you're referring to Exhibition Fiber Paper, this paper is usually recommended to be fed via the manual feeder due to the thickness.  Anything over 260gsm (glossy) is recommended (per Epson) to go via the manual feed.  Since the paper needs to feed "downward" and curve a little to go flat for the ink to be applied and with it curving a little, this may be a reason it may have a curl afterward.

Not saying that you HAVE to feed via manual, but it helps the thicker paper.

If it's not the Exhibition Fiber, which one are you referring to otherwise?

Laminarman

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 07:29:11 pm »

Sorry, yes, Exhibition Fiber Paper.  I was loading from the sheet feeder, but just did it in the manual tray and same thing. The last 1.5" or so it won't release and gets scuffed up.  I'll have to try to attach a photo of it.

Laminarman

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 07:30:45 pm »

You can see the curl to the paper along the long sides, and also the problem on the right edge.  I shouldn't have to clean it, I have less than 10 pictures through it and it's always covered so there's no dust in there.  Could it be the curl?  Tough to get rid of those I'm finding out. If you look at the edge, it looks like it's trying to be pulled sideways because the image is being shifted off the print area, and the scuff marks look like they're going in that direction??
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 07:37:46 pm by Laminarman »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 07:46:38 pm »

The paper is misfeeding as it's being pulled through, probably because it's hitting some kind of resistance. This is a sign that you may need to change the advanced paper settings. While the choice of that particular paper in the driver should auto-adjust the paper thickness and platen gap to suit, sometimes those settings may not be adequate if there is paper curl. So I suggest you try three things: (1) Do always use the Front Fine Art Feed for that paper.(2) Reverse curl the paper gently so you get it as flat as you can immediately before feeding it into the printer. Also, if possible, weigh it down under some heavy books for at a minimum the night before you will use it. (3) Go into the advanced paper settings in the driver, set the platen gap to wide, and crank up the paper thickness to a double-digit level if you can on that driver (I forget, don't have it any longer). Between these two settings it should allow the paper to travel freely.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Laminarman

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 09:01:04 pm »

Mark I never, ever would have known that.  Thank you so much, I'll try that tomorrow. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 09:12:27 pm »

OK - hope the diagnosis is correct and the proposed solution works. Please do let us know.

Laminarman

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 03:12:51 pm »

Mark, many many thanks, that did the trick.  Took a few more attempts but platen to wide and thickness to 7 and it stopped scuffing.  I also had to put a lot of effort into getting the curl out.  I suspect since my setup is in my basement and it's a bit more humid down here, that that's the issue.  I may have to store my paper upstairs, that will make my wife happy.  I can't thank you enough!!!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 03:29:19 pm »

You are welcome. Glad it worked out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up