Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Drive Ejects  (Read 1526 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Random Drive Ejects
« on: April 04, 2018, 05:05:17 pm »

I have had this problem for some months now, and it has occurred with two computers, both Macs (one of which is brand new and other I have used for some time), and a variety of drives. I don't think it is a problem with the drives or connections. My suspicion is that the problem is software related. The random ejects occur when the computer wakes up from sleep. I am wondering if Carbon Copy Cloner might be the problem. Anyone had a similar problem with this program or other programs?

Joe Towner

Re: Random Drive Ejects
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 08:43:03 pm »

In System Preferences - Energy Saver - is 'put hard disks to sleep when possible' checked?
t: @PNWMF

mbaginy

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 01:57:54 am »

David, I’ve noticed the same phenomenon a few times too.

About five weeks ago, I bought a Western Digital 4TB hard drive for my itunes files (connected to an iMac).  Worked without a problem the first two weeks, then was constantly ejected without any noticeable reason.  I had unchecked the option to put hard disks to sleep when possible, but saw no difference.  The ejecting continued for about 10 days and now, without any further adjustments, the HD has stayed mounted for over a week!  I’m keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that the strange ejecting is over.

It could be a bug with a recent (a few days ago) Apple update to itunes and the OS.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:13:02 am »

In System Preferences - Energy Saver - is 'put hard disks to sleep when possible' checked?

Yes.

Kirk_C

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 09:31:18 pm »

The random ejects occur when the computer wakes up from sleep. I am wondering if Carbon Copy Cloner might be the problem. Anyone had a similar problem with this program or other programs?

It started happening on my 2011 iMac running 10.11.6 but doesn't happen on my brand new iMac with the same drives.

It seems to happen only with USB drives.
Pages: [1]   Go Up