Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New York Magazine doesn't seem to like Trump  (Read 6483 times)

James Clark

Re: New York Magazine doesn't seem to like Trump
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2018, 04:39:08 pm »

This, of course, is not what I meant. The opposite in fact. Quite related. My view: if associating one race with one type of animal is racist, then associating another race with another animal should be racist too. The Left, of course, likes to cherry pick what racism is, with its ever-expanding nomenclature (including equating avoiding direct eye contact with racism).

I highlighted "if" above, as I actually do not think either is. I do not care much for historical references.

And yet history informs and shapes contemporary culture, for better or for worse.  You might wish it not to be so (I know I do, in many cases), but sadly, racism didn't end the day that the Civil Rights Act was passed, nor did a history of denigrating black people by comparing them with monkeys. (So far as I know, there's never been a "cultural memory" of white people being depicted as pigs as a way to denigrate or alienate whites as a race).

Let me put it this way - if someone paints a graffiti noose on the wall of a predominantly black church, is that racist? Offensive? Can you take it out of it's historical context and just pretend that it's a random symbol drawn on a random building?  What about a swastika on the side of a synagogue?     
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:48:52 pm by James Clark »

James Clark

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2018, 04:45:01 pm »

You said picturing politicians as pigs at the though was not unusual.
I just wondered if all these pigs were of the light pink variety or that there were different colourd ones in these cartoons.

Actually I said "comparing" - the metaphor is written probably more than drawn if I had to guess.   Regardless, I would imagine that said porcine references would be representative, generally speaking, of the public servant being maligned ;)   Point is, culturally, calling a politician a pig doesn't have a racially biased history.  Calling a black politician a monkey is something altogether different.  Even if there's no racial intent in the statement, at a minimum it shows a gross lack of respect or understanding for the very recent history of disenfranchisement, systemic discrimination, and more violent outcomes.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 05:24:33 pm by James Clark »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2018, 04:53:52 pm »

If there is a nation on Earth with the shortest historical memory, it must be Americans, for better or worse. In my home country, and most of Europe, historical grudges last millennia. When Americans lecture others, however, they want them to forget what happened yesterday, and look into the future. And yet you desperately want to drag the past into current debates.

P.S. Unfortunately, it is not easy to identify whites with just one animal... some look like pigs, some like horses (e.g., Fernandel and Chelsea Clinton), some look like ... crap ;)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »

If that infantility of that illustration and Carrey's daubs are truly representative of the level of political debate in the US, I rather suspect that Trump will not only stay the course of his current term but will probably be re-elected.

Jeremy

I agree. Trump is a festering ignoramus who is doing his best to ruin our country, but to liken him to a pig - I don't see it.

BAB

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 02:23:37 pm »

Having spent ten years in Chicago I have lots of friends there who are also plagued with hatred to the point it affects their daily life. It’s all consuming, it’s what keeps them ticking until tomorrow.
If you’re like them you watch the news to see what idiotic move Trump made that day so you can be ready to discuss it the next day with the masses in your classes.
Every conversation you have includes a reference to it’s because of Trump.
Your all knowing of what the real truths are because you read it paper or saw it on TV.
Living in Chicago with this hatred festers even more because your amongst the majority in a box that’s snow covered and the only light you see is filtered.
There is a drug you can take to relive your hatred but it’s not legal in Chicago. Being the most lawful and upright citizen you are you wouldn’t dare go against the law...Hmm...what would Hilary do OH, then its ok because it will help the poor and the middle class!

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up