Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CF card backup/transfer software  (Read 1204 times)

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
CF card backup/transfer software
« on: April 03, 2018, 09:36:31 pm »

I've been using a program called "Backup and Burn" to rename and transfer to two drives CF cards as I shoot. (The program was last updated in 2009.) Though there are a number of other programs that can do this to a degree (such as Photo Mechanic), the problem is that NONE that I have found can also split RAW and JPEG and put them in separate folders within a master folder. During the course of an average week long shoot, I create about 600-800GB of image files. Each shot must be named and numbered differently, and because of the volume, it's time too time consuming to have to manually split RAW+JPEG. EXAMPLE: The shot might be called "Red Dress". With Backup and Burn, I (or my tech) loads the card into a card reader. The software will rename on the fly the arcane Canon file names, copying files to two drives, into a folder called "Red Dress", renaming the files "Red Dress-001.CR2", "Red Dress-001.JPG", Red Dress-002.CR2", "Red Dress-002.JPG", and placing the CR2 files within a folder called RAW within the Red Dress master folder, and the JPG files in a folder called JPEGs.

Has anyone found a program that can do all this? It's hard to believe that no one creates a transfer program that can split RAW+JPEG. About a year ago, I wrote Camera Bits (Photo Mechanic) about doing this. They wrote back and said, "Maybe we'll incorporate it into a future release". I have tried BreezeSys Downloader Pro, and that too can't do this. LR and Capture One aren't options because of the overhead these programs add because they "process" files, not just copy and can't split my RAW+JPEG. I recently read that Alien Skin Exposure offloads cards, but I have read that it can do the file splitting plus duplicate backup.

Sorry to be so long winded. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Joe Towner

Re: CF card backup/transfer software
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 10:53:34 pm »

Mac or PC?
t: @PNWMF

nemophoto

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 11:05:09 pm »

PC

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 12:25:52 pm »

I have written one that has more advanced import features that anything from LR, C1, or Photo Mechanic. It can be configured to put RAW and JPEG in separate subfolders, no worries at all there. However, because it's Linux only, if you want to run it you'd need to run it in a virtual machine. I know of users who do that on Windows using VirtualBox. But you may not like that. 

nemophoto

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 01:11:46 pm »

Thanks. I'll look into it. I've never tried the VirtualBox, so I'd to try it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up