Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do Canson Platine sheets curl?  (Read 2732 times)

lara_ckl

Do Canson Platine sheets curl?
« on: April 03, 2018, 05:21:23 pm »

I am testing various papers on my Canon Pixma Pro-10.  I am using OEM inks and the paper manufacturer's media settings (in the case of the Canson Platine, Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss).  I am printing from Lightroom 6, using MacOS 10.11.6 with up-to-date printer drivers.

Of all the papers I have tested so far (n=9), the Canson Platine is the only one that curls after printing.  All the papers I have used are 8.5x11 sheets, manual fed from the back and printed at the highest possible quality setting.  The Canson Platine is also the only paper that exhibits some ink stains on the exit edge (last part of the paper to leave the printer).

Is this normal characteristic for SHEET Canson Platine?  Are the ink stains an indication of head strikes?

Can I change anything in my workflow/software/hardware to prevent the ink stains on the exit edge?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:50:18 pm by lara_ckl »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Canson Platine sheets curl?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 05:37:08 pm »

Yes, it is probably a head strike.  I don't own a Canon printer but on an Epson, one has to increase the platen width to wide to prevent this.  Also make sure the paper is completely flat before you put it into the printer.  If there is edge curl this can happen as well.

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 05:45:38 pm »

All of the paper curl I've experienced has been caused by too much ink on the paper causing the paper to warp. This usually straightens itself out within a few hours if the paper is of high quality, which Platine is. So what other papers have not been curling? If they are RC papers like glossy or satin the the plastic coating over them will protect the paper base from being able to absorb any water, so no swelling will occur.

lara_ckl

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 06:25:52 pm »

All of the paper curl I've experienced has been caused by too much ink on the paper causing the paper to warp. This usually straightens itself out within a few hours if the paper is of high quality, which Platine is. So what other papers have not been curling? If they are RC papers like glossy or satin the the plastic coating over them will protect the paper base from being able to absorb any water, so no swelling will occur.

The print in the photo I attached to my post was printed 24 hours prior to the photograph.  I didn't see an improvement on the curl over time.

The other papers that did not curl (same size sheets, printed using manufacturer's settings) were:  Canson Baryta Photograhique, Canson Rag Photographique 210, Moab Juniper Baryta, Moab Entrada 190 Natural and Bright, Inkpress Matte 60 and Duo Matte 80,  Inkpress Luster (RC) and Canon Pro Luster (RC).

mearussi

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 07:25:52 pm »

The print in the photo I attached to my post was printed 24 hours prior to the photograph.  I didn't see an improvement on the curl over time.

The other papers that did not curl (same size sheets, printed using manufacturer's settings) were:  Canson Baryta Photograhique, Canson Rag Photographique 210, Moab Juniper Baryta, Moab Entrada 190 Natural and Bright, Inkpress Matte 60 and Duo Matte 80,  Inkpress Luster (RC) and Canon Pro Luster (RC).
Weird. You could actually have a bad emulsion batch (I've had several from Canson). For a while they were having problems with whoever was doing their coating and all sorts of problems were occurring. But they were all canvases, not papers.

lara_ckl

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 07:48:02 pm »

Weird. You could actually have a bad emulsion batch (I've had several from Canson). For a while they were having problems with whoever was doing their coating and all sorts of problems were occurring. But they were all canvases, not papers.

I am actually thinking that too.  Given the reputation, and the number of people using Canson Platine.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:36:42 pm by lara_ckl »

Rand47

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 07:59:15 pm »

I can’t comment on the curl, post printing, but I can say that there is a little more natural curl to the Platine sheets with the cotton rag substrate, as opposed to the RC papers.  The humidity in your area may also be a factor. 

As to the marks at the end of the sheet, you can control that in a couple of ways.  Increase the platen gap.  And, gently “turn down” the corners on the “exit” end of the sheet.  Don’t bend them but you can gently flex them anti-curl-wise enough to avoid the strikes at the end.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

mearussi

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 08:06:13 pm »

I am actually thinking that too.  Given the reputation, and the number of people using Canson Platine.  That curled sheet came from a sample pack that had only one sheet per paper type.  I am going into a store tomorrow to see if I can score a sample sheet or two of Platine.
Canson's Platine used to be my preferred paper, even over their Baryta, because it had much less curl, almost none in fact. Now I've switched to Canson's Baryta Prestige because of the noticeable improvement in image quality over even their Platine. You might give it a try if you're curious.

lara_ckl

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 06:23:32 pm »

I am actually thinking that too.  Given the reputation, and the number of people using Canson Platine.

I give up.   >:(

Other than the head strikes and resulting ink stains at the corners, I am please with the printed image.

My next attempt to fix the problem is to check the "prevent paper abrasion" checkbox in the Canon Printer Utility.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:50:45 pm by lara_ckl »

mearussi

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 07:04:22 pm »

Leave one of the sheets out without printing on it to see if it will curl on its own. If it does it's either absorbing a lot of moisture from the environment (how humid is your room?) or you have an emulsion problem.   

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 09:25:38 pm »

Lara,
On my Pro-10 there is  a setting
go to>properties>maintenance>custom settings>"prevent paper abrasion"..but a check mark in there.
This may help somewhat ,on any head strikes.
Also,I use a Redriver paper called" Palo Duro Sofware Rag",,it is very close to the Canson Platine,doesn't curl,and dries flat,I've been using it for over a year.,both on my Pro-10 & Pro-1.
Hope this helps???????

MikeS

stockjock

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 09:58:37 pm »

I give up.   >:(

Second sheet, from a 25 sheet pack, also curled after printing.  Also showed ink stains at the exit edge corners from head strikes.  I used all default Canon and Canson settings, OEM inks etc.

Other than the head strikes and resulting ink stains at the corners, I am please with the printed image.

My next attempt to fix the problem is to check the "prevent paper abrasion" checkbox in the Canon Printer Utility.

I print on 17x22" sheets of Platine all the time and that seems like a crazy amount of curl for Platine lying flat.  I would guess you either have a lot of humidity or the bad luck to have gotten a box of Platine cut from the very tail end of a much larger roll so the inherent curl of the paper didn't flatten out.  But that seems unlikely since when I print on Platine on rolls it tends to flatten out fairly quickly.  Only other thing I can think of is way too much ink being put down for some reason.  I'll be curious to learn what your specific problem turns out to have been.

lara_ckl

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 09:03:14 pm »

OK.  I am spending too much time reading forums and printing test prints.   :D

But.... I found two mentions of Canson Platine curling and jamming printers by Mark Segal and DChew in this thread:

Best paper for black and white?
Pages: [1]   Go Up