Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot sell Bendyblad (modified Flexbody) for Hasselblad V lenses & backs. Help!  (Read 3763 times)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers

Hi,
I've been trying to sell my Bendyblad which is a Hasselblad Flexbody with additional sideways shifts and tilts. It is a rare and useful item and is now priced at US$1,650 which is about the same price as a normal Flexbody. It comes with a full kit including the parts to restore it to a normal Flexbody although that should never be necessary because, if you do not want sideways shifts and tilts, you just never touch those controls.

See: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=121134.msg1007545#msg1007545

I am puzzled as to why there has been no interest even though the start price matches what old unmodified Flexbodys sell for on eBay.

So, I would appreciate any feedback people want to share. Don't hold anything back, now!

Thank you
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

SELPHICK

Cambo actus
less service available for  V series lenses
focus stacking
Fuji gx680III with  a digital back
Photographers who do not understand view cameras.
 Thats all I got

Otto Phocus

When it comes to purchasing, value is in the eye of the purchaser.

As the seller, you feel this object has a value of $1,650.  Perhaps potential buyers do not value it at that level?
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/

I've always really like this camera, especially with the extra flex, but the V lenses just don't have the resolving power to keep up with the higher resolution backs. I use a Phase IQ3-100, but a few years ago when I was considering a flexbody like yours, and had a leaf 60mp back,  I talked to a Hasselblad service tech who quite candidly told me that the only V lens they had in their lineup that would offer the resolving power to match the 60mp back was their (I think a 120mm) macro, so I lost interest and with a higher resolution back, the situation hasn't changed.

tcdeveau

It's a pretty specialized piece of kit, no?

I think the V system is a hard sell these days with more and more films being discontinued, digital backs out-resolving the lenses, the cambo actus, etc etc etc. 

Also, with other things like perspective correction in post and focus stacking becoming pretty easy to do in post, the number of people who think the hassle of dealing with a tech cam is worth the effort for those ends is probably getting smaller too. 

GLWS.     

Richard Man

• Richard Man Photography

Check the SOLD listing on eBay to see how many Flexbody are actually sold and at what prices. The demand may as not be there, until the right person comes along.

I use V system and lens, and even on film, but I use the 203FE with FE lenses, and I have a couple 4x5. So this is not interesting to me per se.
// richard
[url=http://richardmanphoto.c

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images

Do you actually have it on eBay?
That is the place to sell anything.

Personally I am a Hasselblad user of the H series for 5 years and have never been interested in the V series.
The H has been out since 2002. If I bought a V it would be for the nostalgia shelf.
I can't see too many people ready to invest real money in it but people constantly surprise me. (:-)
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Two23

At one time I was considering buying one of those, but I already have a Chamonix 4x5 and some excellent lenses.  If I want to shoot 120, I could simply add a 6x9 (or 6x12) film back for a lot less $$. :)

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com

I would put it on eBay.
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

My Hasselblad V systems dealer used to have Flexbodies around 1000-1200$US.

Best regards
Erik

Hi,
I've been trying to sell my Bendyblad which is a Hasselblad Flexbody with additional sideways shifts and tilts. It is a rare and useful item and is now priced at US$1,650 which is about the same price as a normal Flexbody. It comes with a full kit including the parts to restore it to a normal Flexbody although that should never be necessary because, if you do not want sideways shifts and tilts, you just never touch those controls.

See: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=121134.msg1007545#msg1007545

I am puzzled as to why there has been no interest even though the start price matches what old unmodified Flexbodys sell for on eBay.

So, I would appreciate any feedback people want to share. Don't hold anything back, now!

Thank you
Roger
Erik Kaffehr

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers

Thank you all for your comments.

I started this topic because, although I listed the item on eBay around the price regular Flexbodies are selling for, my item did not sell even though it has more features. I found this puzzling and I thought I would try to find out why.

I wondered if there was some prejudice because my item has been modified or I am in New Zealand. However, no posters mentioned these factors.

It seems there is some misinformation out there and, in case potential buyers are reading, I respond as follows:

In reply to Selphick:
You make some good points but most of them also apply to the Fuji GX680III you recommend. In any event, you can attach digital backs to Flexbodies and the Fuji lenses are old also. The Fuji is a capable camera but it is very heavy and very bulky. I don’t think you would ever take the Fuji into the field or handhold it. The Fuji is built for a film format (6cm x 8cm), which is almost twice the area of a full frame sensor. So, it is overkill for digital photography outside the studio.

In reply to gdh and tcdeveau:
I think your comments about lack of resolving power of V lenses are untrue. V lenses were designed to cover the same area as full frame sensors and I have found them very good. I have used them with 17, 22, 33, 60, 80 and 100MP digital backs. The last two I used on an H2 with a converter but all the others have been used on Flexbodies with no issues.

When I had the 60MP sensor, I compared the results from the V lenses on the Flexbody and similar focal length large format lenses on a Linhof Techno. I was very surprised at their equivalent sharpness. The view camera lenses had bigger image circles and nicer contrast but sharpness was not an issue.

I can supply test images from a range of V lenses with my H2 and an IQ3 100 back.

In general:
The Liveview with CMOS backs and to a lesser extent with modern CCD backs makes Flexbodies a realistic option to take into the field and obtain the advantages of view cameras—the ability to change the plane of focus from the usual perpendicular to the lens axis, to any angle you want and to shift the area of capture (the image) up and down to avoid perspective distortion and to place the horizon and the image where you choose in the frame.

Lateral movements are useful because they often mean you can reframe your shot without having to rotate the camera or move your tripod.

With my Flexbody, you can do all this laterally (sideways) as well as vertically and you can do vertical and lateral movements at the same time.

I could go on but I won’t! I will now relist on eBay and elsewhere.

Thank you again.
Roger

PS If anyone wants a Flexbody with sideways as well as vertical movements, let me know!
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Two23

I wondered if there was some prejudice because my item has been modified or I am in New Zealand. However, no posters mentioned these factors.

There are some who won't buy from overseas, but those are mostly people looking for "lower level" gear.  As a collector, I've bought from all over the world.  This includes historical lenses costing thousands of $$.  The last camera I bought, a Nikon F3T, came from Japan.  About the only country I wouldn't buy from is Nigeria.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images

I started this topic because, although I listed the item on eBay around the price regular Flexbodies are selling for, my item did not sell even though it has more features. I found this puzzling and I thought I would try to find out why.

I search for Hasselblad on eBay every day and have not seen your ad (though I am am not necessarily looking for a Flexbody)
I just searched Flexbody though and didn't see it.
I am in Australia but have bought from all over the world and sell to all over the world.
I think most people do and will buy from most countries.
For some strange reason some people won't sell to other countries, which is just stupid. You see the item go for half the price I would pay.
They are usually in the US and perhaps won't sell to any other country they haven't been to, which is all of them. (:-)

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers

The latest listing expired but here is a link to it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hasselblad-Flexbody-with-additional-sideways-movements/292480296562

I am surprised you have not seen it. I have listed the item on the UK and USA eBay sites. I usually have about 5–9 watchers but no bids so far.

Your comments would be welcome.
Roger

I search for Hasselblad on eBay every day and have not seen your ad (though I am am not necessarily looking for a Flexbody)
I just searched Flexbody though and didn't see it.
I am in Australia but have bought from all over the world and sell to all over the world.
I think most people do and will buy from most countries.
For some strange reason some people won't sell to other countries, which is just stupid. You see the item go for half the price I would pay.
They are usually in the US and perhaps won't sell to any other country they haven't been to, which is all of them. (:-)
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images

Why are you putting it on the US and UK sites?
If you list it on your own site and select "Worldwide" it will go to all of them.
Personally if I see something listed on a foreign site and it is not located there I tend to get worried.
Good luck.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers

That's an interesting point of view. However, I have to list overseas because there is no eBay NZ (just a page that diverts to eBay.com).

This is because we have a similar local business called "Trademe" which has conquered the market to such a degree that no competitor could succeed. Not even eBay!

Any other suggestions?
Roger

Why are you putting it on the US and UK sites?
If you list it on your own site and select "Worldwide" it will go to all of them.
Personally if I see something listed on a foreign site and it is not located there I tend to get worried.
Good luck.
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/

ROGER,
EVERYTHING HAS IT'S PRICE! You just haven't found the right price.  Try going back to eBay and starting the bidding at much less--you will find the price but then the question is do you want to sell at that price.  If you don't, put it on a shelf and look at it every morning with a smile.  If you sell it for what the market brings, buy something you really like and be happy.  I think the problem is you are not in tune with the market and have personal feelings for this camera that give it a higher intrinsic value to you over the market.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images

You just haven't found the right price.
That may well be true, but it also may be that the right buyer would pay more. You just need the legendary right buyer.
I have sometimes reduced the price on pictures to give away just to move them and still not sold them, then put the price back up and sold them.
Sometimes you just need patience.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers

Thank you, gdh and Bob Shaw, for your comments.

I did have an emotional attachment because it is an unusual item (in my opinion!) but that attachment has gone. What disappoints me now is the apparent inability to sell the camera for a price similar to what less capable Flexbodys sell for.

I will now harden up and move on!

Anyone want a cheap Flexbody with extra features?
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand
Pages: [1]   Go Up