Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternatives to Premier Art Print Shield?  (Read 1735 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Alternatives to Premier Art Print Shield?
« on: April 01, 2018, 11:32:56 am »

For the last five years, I've used Premier Art Print Shield spray (aerosol cans) to protect my prints. I like the product, but it is a bit pricey imho. I need to buy more print protectant spray, but before I do I thought I'd as you if you had suggestions for alternatives? Advice also welcomed.

Thanks,
    Bob
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 12:21:29 pm by Bob_B »
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
Re: Alternatives to Premier Art Print Shield?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 03:09:03 pm »

For that type of aerosol can spray for prints they are all about the same price.  I use the Hahnemuhle protective spray and that runs about $16/can.  I like the nozzle they have as it gives an even distribution of the spray.

At Atlex the prices are $13.95/can for Premier Art or $149/12 cans or $14.99/can for Moab Desert Varnish.  All are similar.

If you do a larger volume you might consider going to a spray like Breathing Color Timeless varnish.  This requires you to invest in some additional equipment like a sprayer either HVLP or a lower cost spray system from a hardware store.  I use Timeless for my canvas prints and it works great but I have to say that I have not used for my paper based prints as those are mounted behind UV glass and don't need as much protection that you would get from a varnish coat.

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 04:42:56 pm »

Thanks. I guess I'll bite the bullet and order another case of Print Shield. It works for me, and I'm nowhere near ready for getting into a real sprayer.
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 07:30:00 pm »

Krylon has several good ones.
I started using the hardware grade gloss. About half the price and from my tests, no problems.
Krylon also sells Fine Art, Uv Resistant Clear and Crystal Clear. Most of these are $7 to $10 a can.
Do your own tests.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 07:35:31 pm by Dan Berg »

mearussi

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 08:41:44 am »

If you're using matte canvas you can use a roller to apply Eco Print Shield, but at $100/gal it's still not cheap.

Paul Roark

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 10:26:05 am »

While I have not tested matte canvas, with the matte papers I tested spraying with Print Shield lowered their dmax.  With glossy papers the sprays usually raise the dmax.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up