Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GF 100mm lens question  (Read 817 times)

felix5616

Fuji GF 100mm lens question
« on: April 01, 2018, 10:22:06 am »

I recently purchased a used, mint condition Fuji GF 110mm f/2 lens. When I tested it this morning I had the camera set to electronic shutter, shot hand held and when I examined the shots there was significant bending in the image, not out of focus but severe distortion on all the images. I went back and shot hand held and tripod, the same images but with the mechanical shutter and saw no distortion.  I have included an example. Is this a known problem? Images was captured in RAW format.

akpo

• A K P O
Re: Fuji GF 100mm lens question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 10:25:29 am »

The sensor readout of the IMX161 sensor (found in both the GFX/X1D) is really slow, about 1/3 to 1/4 of a second.  Motion blur, bending, warping, handshake, etc.  Hence you should always use the mechanical/focal shutter in every case...
Custom Photographic Optics
www.akpo.ca

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 10:34:48 am »

I recently purchased a used, mint condition Fuji GF 110mm f/2 lens. When I tested it this morning I had the camera set to electronic shutter, shot hand held and when I examined the shots there was significant bending in the image, not out of focus but severe distortion on all the images. I went back and shot hand held and tripod, the same images but with the mechanical shutter and saw no distortion.  I have included an example. Is this a known problem? Images was captured in RAW format.

it is known. It is not a problem, necessarily. It is not related to the lens.

Here's an explanation of what's going on:

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/fujifilm-gfx-50s-electronic-shutter-speed/

If you want to experiment, you can produce some interesting effects:

https://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/making-lemonade-from-the-gfx-slow-electronic-shutter/

Jim

felix5616

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 11:22:50 am »

Thanks for the responses. Its a great lens, renders nicely and sharp
Pages: [1]   Go Up