Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hybrid Medium Format, the Remaking of Fuji GX680, IQ350, Large format lenses  (Read 3086 times)

Rodd

• Drummond House Professional Photography

I now have bulging square eyes reading many posts concerning the repurposing of the GX680 here on LuLa and other forums. Rather than just slap this bit to that bit I was trying to have a clear visual of the end product, hoping my first attempt was usable, focus to infinity, have macro capability and have a cross platform use for my IQ350 (full frame would be better). I wanted a tech camera for architectural work that would also accept a full frame 35mm back adapter.

This should be easy! Hmm, You just may drop you draws when you see my take on this classic (posting soon).

Lenses??? Without going overboard, older (mid 1990's) large format lenses can be sourced quite inexpensively however, will the IQ350 achieve it's full potential. Inspecting all of the technical charts for the various lens configurations, I can't help think it's going to be trial and (mostly) error for lens compatibility.

If you have experience with this combination of DB and various wide lenses for the task, I would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction,

Cheers.....Rodd

akpo

• A K P O

I'm doing the same with my Fujifilm GFX-50S.  Although the flange distance is a bit longer than a dedicated, medium format digital back, the focal-plane shutter is a lifesaver in these aspects.

Things that I've found:  GX680 lenses are really, really great for digital.  Old vintage lenses are good too, for their unique drawing characteristics (simpler lens design, no coatings or just one coat).  The Aero Ektar 175/2.5 is a bit of a hit-or-miss though, variance between the lenses is quite large and the lens is actually a T/4-4.5 compared to a modern f/2.8 (~T/3 to T/3.1) lens.

I suggest trying one of the numerous 4x5 to mamiya/phase one (sliding) back adapters from eBay.  They are cheap and all you would need is a 4x5 camera with a graflok back.
Custom Photographic Optics
www.akpo.ca

Rodd

• Drummond House Professional Photography

The back adapters are, shall we say, very illusive at the moment. I've purchased 4 so far from eBay sellers only to be informed they do not have them in stock and it will be at least 6 to 8 weeks for supply. I may have sourced one, maybe! This is a Mamiya Film/DB to GX680, it have the added function of the standard GX680 rotatable back.

Visualise this (pics will follow), take the front bellows attachment (on the camera body, not the front standard) and deleted the camera electronics so there's only 20mm or less to the back plate of the camera. Retaining the back plate allows the addition of any converter plate for the GX680 to accept and there are many. The front standard is connected by two rails independent of the back plate configuration so I can still create a plate/mount for any other mirrorless camera platform out there.

The lens plate will accept any medium format lens on the market, it's going to be trial and error to combine the best lens and the IQ350 to achieve optimum results for architecture.
Pages: [1]   Go Up