Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Careful out there  (Read 9278 times)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
--
Robert

Two23

Re: Careful out there
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 09:40:40 am »

This has happened to me several times, although I never got shot.  Mostly it was people calling in they saw a guy with a "gun."   Funny thing is in most parts of the region it's not uncommon to see someone walking around with a shotgun.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 09:41:44 am »

This totally nuts. 

I can't believe a lawyer would actually claim that the act of removing a tripod from your car would be negligence on the part of the photographer. 

This begs the question, what is the proper way to remove a tripod from your car without being negligent? 

Would taking your camera out of your beg be negligence since it could potentially look like a gun? 

I hope this photographer has a decent lawyer.  If the cop wins in this case, it will set a ridiculous precedent. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 09:43:20 am »

Good thing it was an intra-racial shooting.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 09:51:56 am »

No wonder:

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 11:21:46 am »

This begs the question, what is the proper way to remove a tripod from your car without being negligent? 

Joe, here's an example of what begging the question actually means: "Have you stopped beating your wife?" Look it up. Sorry, but I see this too often and it bugs me. I don't mind changes in the language but I do mind gradual corruptions of it.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Redcrown

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 12:52:03 pm »

Last summer I went to my local mega mall to do some focus testing on a big telephoto lens. 10 am on quiet weekday. I pulled into a large empty area of the parking lot and set up my camera on tripod to shoot store fronts, signs, and brick walls 100 to 200 yards away.

Suddenly I was attacked by mall security from three directions at once. First rent-a-cop approached, the other 2 triangulated me. No guns drawn, but hands on holsters. A brief conversation ensued. Someone had reported a man with gun! I was allowed to continue, but one guard remained close by until I left.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 12:55:02 pm »

Joe, here's an example of what begging the question actually means: "Have you stopped beating your wife?" Look it up. Sorry, but I see this too often and it bugs me. I don't mind changes in the language but I do mind gradual corruptions of it.

What? 

How is this a comparison to what I asked?  I don't see where you are going here.
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 12:56:38 pm »

...   This begs the question, what is the proper way to remove a tripod from your car without being negligent?...

It actually begs raises the question why would anyone need a tripod to shoot a traffic stop?

Manoli

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 02:13:54 pm »

How is this a comparison to what I asked?  I don't see where you are going here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

Smart kid , that Aristotle.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 02:26:12 pm »

I'm with you there, Russ. Joe, there's a difference between raising a question and begging it.

Jeremy

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 02:35:17 pm »

Good reason to buy a brightly colored tripod.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 03:41:09 pm »

Les,
You should google brightly colored weapons, rifles and shotguns etc., and then see how comfortable you feel with the colorful tripod.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 04:23:55 pm »

Les,
You should google brightly colored weapons, rifles and shotguns etc., and then see how comfortable you feel with the colorful tripod.

Peter

You only have to look again at the snaps of the girl with the gun in patriotic colours!

On the other hand, maybe painted weapons are to match your clothes, the colour of your nails or whatever.

A gun is just another glamorous accessory; totally benign until it's not.

:-)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 05:15:18 pm »

This we can agree on, Russ. http://begthequestion.info/
-MattB

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2018, 05:18:25 pm »

But back to the topic at hand, this is scary. I've been a little nervous shooting pics with a tripod from a rooftop in my town during community events.
I've seen cops quickly look at me so I always try to wave and make the camera obvious. No trouble yet but this is a small town where we mostly all know each other.
-MattB

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2018, 05:53:33 pm »

Les,

Peter

Peter,

I wasn't aware that you can get now brightly colored weapons, it wasn't like that 60 years ago, when I owned an air rifle.
I guess, now you could shoot a differently colored rifle every day of a week. Or have a green one for ducks, and a navy blue Ruger for bears. And a red one for photographers  ;)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 06:05:54 pm »

I have a hard time imagining that a tripod would look like a gun to someone who is close enough to be able to use a handgun. It's not as if the officer could think his life was in imminent danger. There had to be a moment or two to assess the situation before firing.

I came across this interesting (violence alert) video: That Vimeo channel, Field of Vision, has several good video shorts, btw.
--
Robert

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 06:30:35 pm »

I have a hard time imagining that a tripod would look like a gun...

Fully stretched tripod in vertical position, no. But pulling a tripod from the car in an unstretched, horizontal position just might (shotgun). You have to understand that cops here are killed at traffic stops alarmingly frequently, thus their nerves are razon thin in situations like this. Not justifying what this particular cop did, just providing some context.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up