- 8 (38.1%)
All are P45+
- 1 (4.8%)
Neither is P45+
- 2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: April 01, 2018, 10:42:17 pm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is the P45+  (Read 11759 times)

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Re: Which is the P45+
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2018, 10:26:08 pm »

Hi,

Voting is open until April 2, so I guess that I will share the info the third of April.

For those who cannot wait, the answer is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/Answer.jpg

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik -

What sort of light source was utilized for the images in the contest?

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2018, 12:47:17 am »

Hi Steve,

This was not intended to be a contest, I would more see it as demo.

Illumination was electronic flash, it was some time ago I shot the images, so I don't remember setup. But, as far as I recall main light was a Godox Wistro AD200 using a reflective umbrella and fill light was an Elinchrome D-Lite with a soft box.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik -

What sort of light source was utilized for the images in the contest?

Steve Hendrix/CI
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:15:55 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
The answer is
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2018, 01:10:59 am »

Hi,

The answer is:

A) P45+
B) Sony A7rII
C) Sony Alpha 900

There were 20 votes (I did a vote of my own to test the polling - on "Neither is P45+")

So we could see that the P45+ got four votes to be P45+, the Sony A7rII  got six and the Sony Alpha 8.

I am not sure all the votes were placed for the right reason. This was intended as a colour demo.

I am thankful for all good comments.

Now, a few reflections of my own.

The major reason of choice of cameras was that I own all three, but there were other factors.
  • The P45+ is known to have tricky color, would it show up?
  • The P45+ is medium format, it is often said that there is a medium format color. Also, it has been said on these forums that Hasselblad X1D has Medium Format Color while the Fuji GFX has DSLR color. Would observers be able to discern that MFD color in something that has some elements of a controlled comparison?
  • The P45+ is probably said to have a CCD look.
  • The P45+ was released 2007 and the A900 2008, so they are similar generation.
  • Some experts on color regard the Alpha 900 to have the best compromis in CFA design in commercially available cameras.
  • The Alpha 900 was taken for P45+ most frequently. That may be because for good or different color. Don't know!
  • The sampled colours were generally well rendered, with some deviations on the red chilly peppers.
  • The lime fruit was not affected by high near IR reflection spectra, kit reproduced extremely well with all sensors.

It would be nice to include like thing like human skin in test scene, but that is nothing I can buy in a grocery store, thanks god for that...

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:16:46 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

landscapephoto

Re: The answer is
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2018, 02:51:55 am »

It would be nice to include like thing like human skin in test scene, but that is nothing I can buy in a grocery store, thanks god for that...

You could hire a model. More simply, you could leave one of your hands in the picture.

From a look at the thread, it seems that people who voted C did so because of the flowers. But it seems that the flowers appeared different to their eyes because of the influence of their surroundings. When I posted about the effect at least one person changed his mind to A. Deep purple is also poorly calibrated on camera C (look at the colour target), which again influences the flower.

Also: when MF cameras are said to have different colours, users refer to (caucasian) skin tones. Fashion is one of the key market for MF cameras. Your simple test would indicate that there could be some truth to that as the object with the most noticeable change in colour (the orange) is also the one closer to skin tones (I would say the skin of a famous US president is the same colour...). In any case, it proves that there is noticeable metamerism, as the orange patch on the colour target does not change while the fruit does.

fredjeang2

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2018, 08:11:23 am »

Hi,

The answer is:

A) P45+
B) Sony A7rII
C) Sony Alpha 900

There were 20 votes (I did a vote of my own to test the polling - on "Neither is P45+")

So we could see that the P45+ got four votes to be P45+, the Sony A7rII  got six and the Sony Alpha 8.

I am not sure all the votes were placed for the right reason. This was intended as a colour demo.

I am thankful for all good comments.

Now, a few reflections of my own.

The major reason of choice of cameras was that I own all three, but there were other factors.
  • The P45+ is known to have tricky color, would it show up?
  • The P45+ is medium format, it is often said that there is a medium format color. Also, it has been said on these forums that Hasselblad X1D has Medium Format Color while the Fuji GFX has DSLR color. Would observers be able to discern that MFD color in something that has some elements of a controlled comparison?
  • The P45+ is probably said to have a CCD look.
  • The P45+ was released 2007 and the A900 2008, so they are similar generation.
  • Some experts on color regard the Alpha 900 to have the best compromis in CFA design in commercially available cameras.
  • The Alpha 900 was taken for P45+ most frequently. That may be because for good or different color. Don't know!
  • The sampled colours were generally well rendered, with some deviations on the red chilly peppers.
  • The lime fruit was not affected by high near IR reflection spectra, kit reproduced extremely well with all sensors.

Best regards
Erik
Erik,
If I understand the nature of your topic and efforts to put it to test in a scientific methodology, I think this essay, as presented, could only be but a dead end road for various reasons.

First we'd had to define colour accuracy and once defined for the all chain involved and not just camera sensors; in wich scenarios such coulour accuracy will influence or not the par photographer/photographic tools.

Is there such thing as absolute coulour accuracy? considering that the camera sensor and color science is only a small part of the chain in which we have to consider displays, lightning sources, printing/viewing but also retouching within the nature of the work ( Museum reproduction has very little to do with fashion photography) and the psychologic nature of mankind.
It is all about interpretation and mind is conditionned.
As mind is conditionned from the very roots, perception is therefore altered by the programming within the limitations of the human apparel.
The conditionned perception alters the way engineers consider colour accuracy as correct and for a certain purpose and within a determined space and time. (Cultural codes, learned values etc...)
One little alteration in all the chain, such as displays calibrations, will break accuracy.

And accuracy is also linked to the nature of the work. Where this accuracy matters? Skin tones? But who shoots skin tones?
If black people were rulling the industrial world and were the onces making gear, skin tone references will be something very different than what is being accepted as "pleasing". The sensation that a skin tone remains pleasing to our eyes is completly conditionned by the dominant societies.

As a matter of fact what we have are as many colour sciences as brands, targetting a specific consummer.
Instead of accuracy, we can merely talk about "optimized for".
So there are of course no magic MF coulour the same way as there aren't magic dslrs colours either.
All what people see are illusions.

Being able to perceive differences in a blind test between colours is doable for everyone but does not bring any sort of conclusion in a way or another.

Then we have the question if it influences the choice of a system when it comes to invest money in.
As we are talking about systems and costs, there are so many different parameters that come into consideration before colour and even resolution.
Disponible cash is one of them.
Pro service, flash system implementation performances, electronic aspects, AF, lenses etc...that we could consider practical facts (a tank built camera or a consummer one are facts. AF, flash capabilities, and costs are facts). Then, there are those more volatile concepts, interpretations and preferences such as colour, handling, photographic style, and something as simple as falling in love with a gear can make one perceive more goodies than there really are. (Same with relashionships).

And more importantly. Nobody ever decides anything here. You do not decide to be Erik. You are this Erik despite yourself. You never decided to be an engineer oriented. It just happened. There has never been a will, a complete consciousness about the fact that you became interested in images and photography more than in geology or litterature. There is no decision on colour tastes either. It happens despite yourself and evolves with datas. Datas are conditionning, information is conditionning. It transforms perception, ideas, beleifs and so on.
Nobody ever controls anything. We just have the sensation that there is a chooser, but there is no such thing as a chooser in the sense generaly accepted.
Pizza or pasta?
Red wine or white wine?
Nike or Adidas?
Phase one or Hasselblad or Nikon? Nobody can even tell scientificaly how this ends to be once's tool more than this other. Some people loves Hasselblad and think that the Fuji is crappy dslr overdone colour. Other see exactly the opposite. Why? It happens by itself. There is no thruth whatsoever.
So one do researches, test gear, try to find a rational explaination in order to "choose" this upon this other.
A choice is made apparently based on this investigation. But the choice was already made before all that happened.
All the ruminations are a parade, a show of the choice itself. In other words, the conclusion comes first (but we don't know it), then apoears the argumentation, and finaly the conclusion is presented again in consciousness as the result.
This is the big illusion. This is only a play.

Will science irrupts to erradicate the human factor and bring datas on the table so we can rely on absolute facts instead? That is relevant for the camera and software maker. Then, the camera brand will alter this celestial order using the very same engineering because they are targetting a specific client. Therefore, we are in marketing.
Colour matrixes, complex science will be involved in order to alter the look and have a signature that others do not.
Objects are not what they are because this is what they are but because of a choice of an intention.
Therefore, everything is distortionned and nothing is accurate as such.
Anything that people say you mentionned is right nor wrong.
All there is are interpretations of the same play.

I tend not to like Sony colour science. Each time I have a Sony image I say "I don't like the files!"
Is there a rational reason why I like Nikon and not Sony? Nope. It happens.
I can not come to the conclusion that Sony is crap and Nikon is best. It would be absurd.
I don't like Sony the same way I don't feel atrracted by this striking blonde other guy find attractive.
May I extract complex argumentation in order to explain my point of view, someone would bring the antitesis
With a no less valuable argumentation.
This is a dead end road, not because the way you did the test, but because
There can not be an answer reliable enough.

Best regards.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:38:46 am by fredjeang2 »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2018, 09:15:54 am »

Hi Fred,

• The idea was not to have a competition.
The posting was a reaction to a statement that Hasselblad X1D has MFD color och Fuji GFX has DSLR color. I don't know who used those words.

But, if there is an obvious difference between MFD color and DSLR color than it must be easy to which one is which. Four voters have guessed the correct camera. That was Landscapephoto and yourself and two others. But the other 16 voters were not able to pick the P45+, for whatever reason.

I was not really interested in the outcome. The question asked was not "Which camera has the best color?" but "Which of the three cameras is the P45+?".

Of course, the issue was muddled by using Lumariver generated profiles, instead of using Capture One.

I am pretty much aware that accurate color reproduction seldom is the aim in commercial photography, that does not hinder me in trying to achieve natural colors in my landscape photography.

Also, I would suggest that this forum is not about professional photography, but about "Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography" and I am pretty sure that a large part of the posters here shoot mainly for pleasure.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

fredjeang2

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2018, 09:37:08 am »

Also, I would suggest that this forum is not about professional photography, but about "Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography" and I am pretty sure that a large part of the posters here shoot mainly for pleasure.

Best regards
Erik
I didn't think your thread as a competition. I was of course kidding when I said "I won". It was to tease a bit and make you smile. I did understand it the way you described.
And you are correct: you did not ask which has the best colour but which is which. This is IMO the only possible correct way to present the topic.

But I was refering more to the thread that inspired your test, in which yes there were
Interpretations and valorations about best/better/worst etc...me, being one of them also.
(Then I reread myself and find a complete nonsense of my own words and other's too. ;D)
The fact that you might demostrate that if there is a difference it should be visible easily (and you are right)
And the fact that many made mistake (as expected), will not prevent those claims to keep going.
We will still have best-better-worse and astrovisions, magical differences etc...
That is inevitable.

In fact I like your posts. Your mind is of a scientist, and I'm not.
Sometimes I think that scientists think too much about details, but I like the way you focus it in general,
And more importantly the tone is always of a gentleman.

One test that I'd like to do is this: 2 people with the same camera are seeing the same flower.
In the exact same moment, angle and location.
A picture is taken. Will those 2 persons see exactly the same accuracy on the same display?
We have the flower in front of us, the image in front of us and compare.
We could compare using several softwares.
Will there be a consens? Sometimes yes but sometimes probably no.

I hope the pros photographers who frequent regularly this forum shoot also for passion/pleasure.
Just that they make their incomes with it.
Photography is probably an area one can not really do without pleasure as it happens in many other jobs where people hate what they do.

Best regards.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:55:06 am by fredjeang2 »

landscapephoto

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2018, 12:30:30 pm »

First we'd had to define colour accuracy and once defined for the all chain involved and not just camera sensors

Actually, colour accuracy is perfectly defined and there are iso standards to measure it. Colour accuracy is a fact.

You are thinking about "more pleasing" colours. Obviously, "more pleasing" is subjective, so what one considers "best colour" depends on the person, even if there are some general lines most people agree on.

Both are very different matters and taking one for the other is not going to bring us anywhere. Also: both are perfectly valid in photography: accuracy is necessary for the pro reproducing paintings, pleasantness is essential for the portraitist.

fredjeang2

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2018, 01:20:33 pm »

Actually, colour accuracy is perfectly defined and there are iso standards to measure it. Colour accuracy is a fact.

You are thinking about "more pleasing" colours. Obviously, "more pleasing" is subjective, so what one considers "best colour" depends on the person, even if there are some general lines most people agree on.

Both are very different matters and taking one for the other is not going to bring us anywhere. Also: both are perfectly valid in photography: accuracy is necessary for the pro reproducing paintings, pleasantness is essential for the portraitist.
I'm not denying this and that wasn't my point really. You are talking about procedures and isolate a phrase maybe?
What I'm saying are 2 things.
1) there are color sciences involved in both camera and softwares that alter color representations and focus on certain aspects, within the same gamma and colour spaces. Therefore we can not talk about colour accuracy
In a stric term but merely ”optimized for”, which is the term I used.
Standardized procedures aren't here to provide absolute reliability but to establisb acceptable limits
Necesary for interchange between collaborative environements.
Procedures in themselves change, evolve constantly. You can expand or reduce colour spaces etc...
2) Accuracy is entirely display dependant.  Just one element in the all chain, not just sensors, that fails will alter colour accuracy inevitably.
So it's all about getting close to an ideal situation without never reaching
Absolute accuracy.
3) what we can see in test images is not colour accuracy but about different colour sciences
Applied by different manufacturers.
Colour accuracy is a myth. Just like the speed of light, the more you want to get close, the more it will escapes.
All we do is establishing some boundaries as standarts so that it's manageable within margin of acceptable "errors".

The defined and established standarts that help us to reproduce with accuracy in print or in screens the intended colour decisions that we make based on displays wasn't IMO the topic but if there was some sort of better accuracy between 2 systems from capture? If so, everyone should be able to see the same properties. Erik's experiment shows that there is no such thing.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 02:15:08 pm by fredjeang2 »

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2018, 01:52:50 pm »

I didn’t vote because Erik’s question was ,”Which one is the P45+?” I’ve never owned a P45+ so how would I know??

He didn’t ask which had the better color, more accurate color, the most pleasing color or the magical MF color. Just which was the P45+. I’ve never owned one, never shot one, never seen a raw image from one so there is now way I could possibly guess.

Dave

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2018, 02:15:04 pm »

He didn’t ask which had the better color, more accurate color, the most pleasing color or the magical MF color. Just which was the P45+. I’ve never owned one, never shot one, never seen a raw image from one so there is now way I could possibly guess.

Notably, even if you had owned and used a P45+ the test wouldn't be any more relevant.

You'd have to be a P45+ owner who preferred to use 3rd party software rather than use Capture One, the software whose main purpose for being is to get the most out of Phase One raw files. AND you'd have to be a P45+ owner who preferred to create your own color profile to using the profiles made by the team who made the hardware and software.

In 10 years working with many many Phase One owners, I can't think of a single client of mine who fits this description. Maybe 95% of my clients are using Capture One and 1% are making their own profiles, and the ones who are making their own profiles are doing so in Capture One.

It's an interesting test of the LumaRiver Profile Designer, and anyone who is really interested in that software should greatly appreciate Erik's time in writing it up. But it's not a test that is particularly relevant to any current or prospective Phase One owner I've met.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 10:14:29 am by Doug Peterson »

fredjeang2

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2018, 02:22:56 pm »

Notably, even if you had owned and used a P45+ you wouldn't be any better off.

You'd have to be a P45+ owner who preferred to use 3rd party software rather than Capture One AND preferred to create your own color profile to using the profiles made by the team who made the hardware and software.

In 10 years working with many many Phase One owners, I don't think I can think of a single client of mine who fits this description.
Exactly. That is my point. Any changes on the chain will affect results. If I shot Arri log and
Use a Sony or Redlogfilm to rec709 then colour will be affected. And there are more people that do that than we might think.
But again, Phase coulour science is not about absolute colour accuracy myth but about correct maths within
A look. For some it is the look there are looking for, others wlll prefer Hasselblad colour science.
The only think that ensure you when work with P.45 + capture one + team profiles is that the underlying maths are correct.
It does not garantee one will "see" accuracy of some sort.
It works as expected. That is all.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 02:29:00 pm by fredjeang2 »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2018, 02:27:48 pm »

Exactly. That is my point. Any changes on the chain will affect results. If I shot Arri log and
Use a Sony or Redlogfilm to rec709 then colour will be affected. And there are more people that do that than we might think.
But again, Phase coulour science is not about absolute colour accuracy myth but about correct maths within
A look. For some it is the look there are looking for, others wlll prefer Hasselblad colour science.
The only think that ensure you when work with P.45 + capture one + team profiles is that the underlying maths are correct.
It does not garantee one will "see" accuracy of some sort.

This is true for the commercial profiles.

Notably, when using the CH profiles and the CH Color Guide Reproduction Workflow (for which I was a main author), the intention (and result) is accuracy.

Using that workflow for pictures of people, places, and things makes you very quickly aware of why 99.9% of photographers don't benefit from a profile and workflow engineered for brutal and unforgiving accuracy.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 02:31:26 pm by Doug Peterson »

fredjeang2

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2018, 02:35:45 pm »

This is true for the commercial profiles.

Notably, when using the CH profiles and the CH Color Guide Reproduction Workflow (for which I was a main author), the intention (and result) is absolute accuracy.
Doug...when the word "absolute" appears, I have a big caution warning flashing light that switch on. Absolute zero, absolute beauty. But I see what you mean.
Specialy in our display based industry. Always is a display between us and the object.
This is why I prefer talking about correct maths. Or better maths provided by the company based on their researches and knowledge of their products.

Doug Peterson

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2018, 04:55:57 pm »

Doug...when the word "absolute" appears, I have a big caution warning flashing light that switch on. Absolute zero, absolute beauty.

Absolutely :).

I actually modified my post to remove absolute before your post objecting to the word. I should have said "Damn good" or similar and defined what that means in this context.

In the case of the Cultural Heritage profiles the goal is to consistently provide color accuracy better than the requirements of FADGI-4 star or ISO 19264 imaging guidelines for preservation-grade imaging (which in turn require specific mean and maximum deltaE2000 values as measured on specific targets). Based on extensive experience at a variety of high-end institutions the system (back + body + lens + software + CH profiles) great exceed those quality requirements both in theory and in practice.

landscapephoto

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2018, 05:21:56 pm »

I'm not denying this and that wasn't my point really. You are talking about procedures and isolate a phrase maybe?
What I'm saying are 2 things.
1) there are color sciences involved in both camera and softwares that alter color representations and focus on certain aspects, within the same gamma and colour spaces. Therefore we can not talk about colour accuracy
In a stric term but merely ”optimized for”, which is the term I used.
Standardized procedures aren't here to provide absolute reliability but to establisb acceptable limits
Necesary for interchange between collaborative environements.
Procedures in themselves change, evolve constantly. You can expand or reduce colour spaces etc...
2) Accuracy is entirely display dependant.  Just one element in the all chain, not just sensors, that fails will alter colour accuracy inevitably.
So it's all about getting close to an ideal situation without never reaching
Absolute accuracy.
3) what we can see in test images is not colour accuracy but about different colour sciences
Applied by different manufacturers.
Colour accuracy is a myth. Just like the speed of light, the more you want to get close, the more it will escapes.
All we do is establishing some boundaries as standarts so that it's manageable within margin of acceptable "errors".

The defined and established standarts that help us to reproduce with accuracy in print or in screens the intended colour decisions that we make based on displays wasn't IMO the topic but if there was some sort of better accuracy between 2 systems from capture? If so, everyone should be able to see the same properties. Erik's experiment shows that there is no such thing.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I was saying that colour can be measured, and the measuring error can be quantified. I am saying that colour can be reproduced (and indeed that also implies a display) and that the error between input and reproduction can also be quantified. The magnitude of the error defines "accuracy".

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
The software is LumaRiver Profile Designer
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2018, 05:56:10 pm »

Hi Doug,

The software is not Luminar but LumaRiver Profile Designer. It is an excellent piece of software that deserves to be called by the right name.

So, I would appreciate if you could correct your posting.

Other than that, I would not argue with your viewpoints.

Best regards
Erik

Notably, even if you had owned and used a P45+ the test wouldn't be any more relevant.

You'd have to be a P45+ owner who preferred to use 3rd party software rather than use Capture One, the software whose main purpose for being is to get the most out of Phase One raw files. AND you'd have to be a P45+ owner who preferred to create your own color profile to using the profiles made by the team who made the hardware and software.

In 10 years working with many many Phase One owners, I can't think of a single client of mine who fits this description. Maybe 95% of my clients are using Capture One and 1% are making their own profiles, and the ones who are making their own profiles are doing so in Capture One.

It's an interesting test of the Luminar profiling software, and anyone who is really interested in that software should greatly appreciate Erik's time in writing it up. But it's not a test that is particularly relevant to any current or prospective Phase One owner I've met.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:29:38 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

fredjeang2

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2018, 08:39:54 pm »

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I was saying that colour can be measured, and the measuring error can be quantified. I am saying that colour can be reproduced (and indeed that also implies a display) and that the error between input and reproduction can also be quantified. The magnitude of the error defines "accuracy".
This kind of essay (link below) covers some aspects involved
In the topic.
But it's not for everyone and reflects the complexity of this subject.
I guess beyond the scope of what a forum conversation generaly allows.
(proprietary matrixes from XYZ etc...the principles explained remain relevant
To understand the aspects involved in colour representation/accuracy.)
In motion pictires there are even more complications.
Also, I don't use gamma 2.2 on my displays but 2.4 and prefer to rely on perception.
Digging on colour accuracy is on the very edge of what my brain legitimaly tolerates.

Link to part 1 at the beginning.

http://www.odelama.com/photo/Developing-a-RAW-Photo-by-hand/Developing-a-RAW-Photo-by-hand_Part-2/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 09:15:46 pm by fredjeang2 »

fredjeang2

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2018, 09:12:36 pm »

Absolutely :).

;D ;D
That was an absolute good one! 

Doug Peterson

Re: The software is LumaRiver Profile Designer
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2018, 10:15:55 am »

Hi Dave,

The software is not Luminar but LumaRiver Profile Designer. It is an excellent piece of software that deserves to be called by the right name.

So, I would appreciate if you could correct your posting.

Other than that, I would not argue with your viewpoints.

Noted and corrected.

Ironically though... my name is not Dave but Doug.  :D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up