- 8 (38.1%)
All are P45+
- 1 (4.8%)
Neither is P45+
- 2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: April 01, 2018, 10:42:17 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is the P45+  (Read 11766 times)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Which is the P45+
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 08:08:44 am »

By making profiles for each camera and then processing them in Adobe software you've robbed the Phase One of one of its core assets: that the same company makes the lenses, camera, software, and color profiles. All components are designed together for the best end results.

It's like you've taken a ready-to-race dragster and stripped it down, replaced the tires with generic tires, replaced the chassis with a square block of metal, and put in low-octane fuel. And now you're running a test on the engine versus other engines. But the engine wasn't designed to run on its own; it was designed as part of the overall car.

Also notably this back is from 2007. The improvements Phase One has made in the 11 years since are also pretty profound. The Trichromatic has the best color of any camera I've worked with (in my highly biased and subjective opinion).

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 09:31:53 am »

Hi Doug,

If I will use any camera, ever, I will be in control of my color profiles.

Best regards
Erik

By making profiles for each camera and then processing them in Adobe software you've robbed the Phase One of one of its core assets: that the same company makes the lenses, camera, software, and color profiles. All components are designed together for the best end results.

It's like you've taken a ready-to-race dragster and stripped it down, replaced the tires with generic tires, replaced the chassis with a square block of metal, and put in low-octane fuel. And now you're running a test on the engine versus other engines. But the engine wasn't designed to run on its own; it was designed as part of the overall car.

Also notably this back is from 2007. The improvements Phase One has made in the 11 years since are also pretty profound. The Trichromatic has the best color of any camera I've worked with (in my highly biased and subjective opinion).
Erik Kaffehr

landscapephoto

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2018, 09:39:20 am »

Yes and no.

Erik has repeatedly expressed that he wants exact colours. Erik, if I understand his ideas correctly, wants to use a colour chart and believes that with the correction all colours will be the same and, in turn, will be the same as the colours of the subject. Even if that is not really possible, Erik wants the best approximation. In his ideas, the camera with the colours closest to the subject will be the best camera. Note that this is a perfectly valid workflow if one reproduces paintings, for example.

Exact colour is a different thing than best colour. It seems to me that you are advertising the latter: Phase camera and software would be tuned to give the most pleasing colours. Pleasing may not be exact. For example: skin tones that make the model look younger are considered to be better than accurate skin tones.

Obviously, "more pleasing" is subjective, so what one considers "best colour" depends on the person, even if there are some general lines most people agree on. OTOH, "accurate colour" is objective and there even is an ISO procedure to note it. That procedure is independent of the software.

I should probably add a disclaimer, knowing that I am talking to an official representative from Phase One: a camera - software combination can have both "best" and "accurate" colour, when the software can be told to switch between one output and the other. I am not saying that Phase One cameras cannot have "accurate" colour. In truth, I don't know but I suppose they can since the reproduction of heritage documents is a part of Phase One business.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2018, 10:23:11 am »

2018-03-31, changed wording, replacing Phase One with Capture One.

Hi,

I guess I may be a bit biased, influenced by landscape photographers Tim Parkin and Joe Cornish who used to be very critical of P45+ colour. I have some private communication with Tim on that issue.

The other point I may make is that it makes perfect sense to achieve accurate colour and apply a "look" to that. Unfortunately, there is a tendency to use colour profiles for that.

My experience with C1 is limited. I have paid for version of three editions, I think, and it supports my P45+ back.

But, I prefer to use Lightroom. Why? Many reasons, I have used it since it's inception 2006. As a matter of fact, I considered writing software like Lightroom  back in 2005-2006, but Lightroom did have most of the facilities I wanted. Lightroom is like an 85% match for my needs.

Digital images have a very large dynamic range. Like 13-14EV. Our monitors have like 9EV and prints even less. So, we need to map down the wide DR of digital sensors to what we can display or print. HDR techniques were around a long time, but the tone mappings were often excessive.

2012 pipeline in Lightroom/ACR has put an end to that. New algoritms in Lightroom/ACR made it possible to map highlight and shadow detail into credible images. It could be seen as dirty tricks, but it works. Until this day, I don't think C1 can match.

I have also some bad experience with colour profiles in C1 mixing up colours: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/OLS_OnColor/SimpleCase/

Here Phase One Capture One fully screws up colour, yielding this:

Instead of this:

The latter one being pretty much of the real colour. How I know that? I have seen the flower and measured spectrum. That flower is deep blue purple, end of discussion.

Best regards
Erik

Yes and no.

Erik has repeatedly expressed that he wants exact colours. Erik, if I understand his ideas correctly, wants to use a colour chart and believes that with the correction all colours will be the same and, in turn, will be the same as the colours of the subject. Even if that is not really possible, Erik wants the best approximation. In his ideas, the camera with the colours closest to the subject will be the best camera. Note that this is a perfectly valid workflow if one reproduces paintings, for example.

Exact colour is a different thing than best colour. It seems to me that you are advertising the latter: Phase camera and software would be tuned to give the most pleasing colours. Pleasing may not be exact. For example: skin tones that make the model look younger are considered to be better than accurate skin tones.

Obviously, "more pleasing" is subjective, so what one considers "best colour" depends on the person, even if there are some general lines most people agree on. OTOH, "accurate colour" is objective and there even is an ISO procedure to note it. That procedure is independent of the software.

I should probably add a disclaimer, knowing that I am talking to an official representative from Phase One: a camera - software combination can have both "best" and "accurate" colour, when the software can be told to switch between one output and the other. I am not saying that Phase One cameras cannot have "accurate" colour. In truth, I don't know but I suppose they can since the reproduction of heritage documents is a part of Phase One business.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 12:15:46 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

landscapephoto

Re: Some information...
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2018, 10:32:33 am »

Here is a layered image: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/Stacked.tif

With that layered image, I redid a gif animation of the colour chart and of the tangerine orange to better show what I think are the most obvious differences. Just clic on the icon to animate...

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 04:15:14 am by landscapephoto »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2018, 10:54:30 am »

Hi,

Two things that you may keep in the mind.

1) That part of the image may be mapped outside both Adobe RGB and sRGB
2) How that part of the image may depend much on your display and display setting.

Downloading the original image, here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/Stacked.tif

and opening in Photshop may yield much more accurate information, as Photoshop may honour your display settings while a web browser may not! Probably not an issues on MacOS X, but a real issue on Windows 10.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

fredjeang2

Re: Some information...
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2018, 12:05:24 pm »

With that layered image, I redid a gif animation of the colour chart and of the tangerine to better show what I think are the most obvious differences. Just clic on the icon to animate...
That was even visible on a smartphone without superposition.

fredjeang2

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2018, 12:38:18 pm »

Hi,

Two things that you may keep in the mind.

1) That part of the image may be mapped outside both Adobe RGB and sRGB
2) How that part of the image may depend much on your display and display setting.

Downloading the original image, here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/Stacked.tif

and opening in Photshop may yield much more accurate information, as Photoshop may honour your display settings while a web browser may not! Probably not an issues on MacOS X, but a real issue on Windows 10.

Best regards
Erik
On Windows 10 Mozilla displays correctly, even ProPhoto RGB and no shift from PS. It is very much browser dependant.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Some sample data added
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2018, 10:10:35 pm »

Hi,

You may have noticed the numbers on the fruits. Those correspond to samples I have read with my ColorMunki Photo spectrometer.

I have added most of those samples as a layer on top. Choosing mixing mode "color" overlays the color ignoring the luminousity, I think.

Here is that link: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/Stacked_with_samples.tif

The fruit that some readers interpret to be a tangerine was called an orange where I bought it.

What I can see the Habeneros 3 and 4 show the largest deviations.

Please note that some colours are outside sRGB.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2018, 01:20:54 am »

Hi,

Your comments are much appreciated.

I think I commented on this before. The images were processed identically and there was no adjustment directly based on the ColorChecker in the image. The image checker was used for white balance and and exposure adjustment.

On the other hand, I have used color profiles generated by Lumariver Profile Designer and that profiling was based on the standard ColorChecker.

It can be argued, that different raw converters should be used, but say Capture One has a different tone curve and Adobe has hue shifts. With the LumaRiver profiles everything is identical, except the color differences  coming from the sensor as converted by the compromise matrix. That would mean that I would need to manipulate the images to have the same contrast.

So, I think that this probably shows the basic differences between the sensors. To clarify, the following controls were used in LR/PS

• White Balance (in LR)
  • Exposure adjusted so L in Lab is at 51, using exposure slider in LR
  • Camera Calibration is set to LumaRiver based profiles in LR. That is the large equalizing factor and yes, those profiles are based on the ColorChecker
  • Exported as TIFFs 1050 high
  • TIFFs imported into Photoshop and resized to 1050x1500
  • The tiffs copy pasted into a new image as layers
  • The layers were algned. This introduces distortion, but makes the images easier to compare
  • Text "A", "B" and "C" added
  • In the latest release a new layer was added containing sampled data from the fruits. Activating this layer with "color" blending mode shows the colors, without hiding the structures.

The lastest image is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/Stacked_with_samples.tif

Best regards
Erik

The way you present the pictures makes a direct comparison difficult, so I had to extract the 3 images to be able to flip between them. When I flip between the images, I notice the following:
-the colours on the colorchecker chart are identical almost identical (*). Presumably, you used that chart to calibrate the images. Please note that, by calibrating the images, you may have destroyed some of the original colour differences.
-B and C look almost identical on all subjects.
-A looks markedly different on the tangerine (one of the two items 8 ) and a bit different on the chilis marked 4 and 3. Therefore, I vote for A.
-I see almost no difference on the other items. While your images have a range of colours from natural objects (and that is a good thing), I miss skin tones. Interestingly, the tangerine is the object that comes closest to the area where "caucasian" skin tones would be, no other object is pink-orange. This is also the object where the difference is more important.

I attach a smaller version of the separated images, if somebody else wants to do a quick comparison flip.

(*) Edit: with the later posted animation, I see some differences in the blue and violet squares of the chart on image C. I suppose that your calibration was not perfectly correct with that camera on that camera, which may also explain the darker flower petals. Still: the orange patches are matched between all cameras, while the tangerine is not, a proof that cameras do not match the Luther–Ives conditions...
Erik Kaffehr

landscapephoto

« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2018, 02:03:41 am »

I am not sure I understand the new layer with "samples". If I wanted to characterise numerically the fruits colours, I would define a zone to be averaged and let PS tell me about the colour. I did not do any of that, however, I understood that you wanted a visual test.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Explanation of sampled data
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2018, 02:49:05 am »

Hi,

Samples are measured data directly of the fruits using a spectrometer. So, these correspond to real measurable colours. The colour boxes were created using Babelcoors PatchTool from the spectral data.

I enclose two images, the first one is showing the samples only, and the second shows the samples layer composed with the A-layer in "color" blending mode.

You can see that the Orange (8) should be a little more orange and the lemon should be a little more green (7).

Best regards
Erik

I am not sure I understand the new layer with "samples". If I wanted to characterise numerically the fruits colours, I would define a zone to be averaged and let PS tell me about the colour. I did not do any of that, however, I understood that you wanted a visual test.
Erik Kaffehr

landscapephoto

Re: Explanation of sampled data
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 05:33:10 pm »

Samples are measured data directly of the fruits using a spectrometer.

So you laid your color munki directly on the fruits? I had not understood that.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Explanation of sampled data
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2018, 08:12:48 pm »

Yes.

So you laid your color munki directly on the fruits? I had not understood that.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Some reflections over Doug Peterson's comments
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2018, 11:45:42 am »

Hi Doug,

I think you misinterpret this poll a bit. I admit that the title of the poll is a bit misleading.

But, some folks are saying there is a typical MFD color that say the X1D posesses, while the GFX has typical DSLR color. Those cameras use the same sensor even if it is conceivable that they may have different CFAs. Or, maybe not as folks using the X1D with Capture One seem to get very good results.

The intent here was to see if folks recognise MFD colour, if such a colour exists. I would assume that my P45+ would have MFD colour?

Obviously a lot happened since the P45+ and the Alpha 900 were released.  The P45+ was from 2007 and the A900 from 2008. So in a sense they are same generation. In another sense the P45+ is proven CCD technology and the A900 is Sony's first full frame CMOS sensor.

Some folks argue that CCD colour is superior to CMOS colour. I don't think that is the position that Phase one has now.

I have also include a lime in the setup, as you indicated that the limefruit has a very high near IR content. Which it indeed has:

So, I asked myself if the high IR content in the lime would cause a yellowish cast on the limefruit. This was not the case with the three cameras tested here. They all reproduced the limefruit extremely well.

The color patches shown above were inserted in the picture on a layer above the lime and blended in "color" mode, that keeps L channel from the base image but uses the "a" and "b" channels from the sample. The patches are not visible  in any of the images, so match is virtually perfect.

This comparison is of course limited to what I have here. If you arrange with Phase One to lend me a Thrichromatic over a few days, I will gladly redo the demo.

In this demo I wanted to eliminate raw converter as a factor. In engineering you try to eliminate as many variables as possible. Here I used a tool developed by Anders Torger that is based on pure and honored math, that treats all sensors similarly.

I could have used C1, but C1 has another tone curve and I am pretty sure adds quite a bit more saturation, so, I would need to correct for that manually.

Or, I could have processed all images in C1, but I doubt that the image quality professor spends the same effort on an oddball Sony product, like the Alpha 900 as on the P45+, not to mention the Thrichromatic.

As things are, I can use Capture One with my P45+, as the MFD version is free and that also applies to Sony. But, I prefer to pay for a subscription to the Adobe product. I think that photographers own their images and can use whatever raw processor they prefer.

There are some reasons I prefer Lightroom over Capture One:

• LR has content aware handling of highlights and shadow, maintaining local contrast. Capture One doesn't have that.
  • I prefer DNG over natives formats. Capture One has not supported DNG for a long time and their support for DNG may be halfhearted.
  • Both DNG format and DCP profiles are well documented that is not the case with C1 colour conversion pipeline.
  • I prefer to use my own profiles.
  • But, that is just me, I like to have freedom of choice...

Regarding the Thrichromatic, Jack Hogan did a very trough analysis of the sensor, just based on a few sample shots, from yourself and Dave Chew. He found that the Thrichromatic has some significant advantages. His analysis is published in three chapters:

http://www.strollswithmydog.com/phase-one-iq3-100mp-trichromatic-linear-color-i/
http://www.strollswithmydog.com/phase-one-iq3-100mp-trichromatic-linear-color-ii/
http://www.strollswithmydog.com/phase-one-iq3-100mp-trichromatic-linear-color-iii/

Jack's analysis makes sense, perhaps Phase One should consider getting permission to use it in their marketing. Sharing good and honest info is not a bad idea.

And just to say, Jack likes the Trichromatic.

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 11:48:53 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

landscapephoto

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2018, 08:48:23 am »

So, when do we get the answer to the question?  ::)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2018, 11:38:33 am »

Hi,

Voting is open until April 2, so I guess that I will share the info the third of April.

For those who cannot wait, the answer is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/Answer.jpg

Best regards
Erik

So, when do we get the answer to the question?  ::)
Erik Kaffehr

DiamondsDr

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2018, 11:57:08 pm »

Hi, I don’t have or tried those cameras, but I have used Hasselblad 31 and 60mp as well full frame Nikon&Canon cameras, and speaking about “color” the biggest difference is hue gradations...

fredjeang2

« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2018, 02:35:57 pm »

Hi,

Voting is open until April 2, so I guess that I will share the info the third of April.

For those who cannot wait, the answer is here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/Answer.jpg

Best regards
Erik
I won. Erik, next time you do that, make sure to prize a P45!

landscapephoto

« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2018, 04:25:51 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up