- 8 (38.1%)
All are P45+
- 1 (4.8%)
Neither is P45+
- 2 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: April 01, 2018, 10:42:17 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Which is the P45+  (Read 11762 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Which is the P45+
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:42:17 pm »

Update 2018-03-26:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You may have noticed the numbers on the fruits. Those correspond to samples I have read with my ColorMunki Photo spectrometer.

I have added most of those samples as a layer on top. Choosing mixing mode "color" overlays the color ignoring the luminousity, I think.

Here is that link: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/Stacked_with_samples.tif

The fruit that some readers interpret to be a tangerine was called an orange where I bought it.

What I can see the Habeneros 3 and 4 show the largest deviations.

Please note that some colours are outside sRGB.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note! Below is some new information...

This is a colour test. Please don't try to mix focus, DoF etc in the judgement, it will just be missleading.

Just to explain, the original ideal was to see how a set of reasonably well defined colours would map to Lab colour space using different profiles. The results were "all over the place", so I gave up on interpretation.

Here are the details how the images were made:

• Obviously all images were shot with three cameras from similar angle of view.
  • Focus is different between the images. Focus doesn't affect color, so I strived for decent focus but it differs between the images. Forget about focus. This is a colour test!
  • All images were processed in Lightroom, with the DCP profiles I use with each camera. Those DCP profiles are all created with LumaRiver Profile Designer.
  • White balance was set on second brightest grey patch on each image.
  • Luminance channel was set to around 51 on fourth brightest grey patch. That is the reference value for the Xrite ColorChecker.
  • The images were exported at 1500 pixels width and opened in Photoshop.
  • Each image was resized to 1500x1050 size. copied and pasted as a new layer in the image.
  • All the layers have been aligned. That adds distortion in the mix, but makes it easier to compare color.
  • The layers were copied as individual pictures from each layer.

Here is a layered image: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/Stacked.tif

Hi

Mucho discussions about Colour on X1D or GFX. I have neither...

But I have shot three images under controlled conditions, generated DCP Colour Profiles for each camera and processed the images the same way.

Two of the images were shot on Sony cameras (A900 and A7rII) and one P45+.

So, can you tell which one is the P45+

Notes:

I have reworked the samples, to make sure I made no mistakes.

A tiff version of the file can be downloaded here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/Tricolore2.tif

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:13:03 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

JoeKitchen

Re: Which is the P45+
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 06:44:52 am »

Not sure, but can you tell me which one in Johny Walker Blue? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 10:28:01 am »

Hi Joe,

No, I cannot. But I neither drink whisky nor take pictures of it. And of course I never claimed I would be able I would be able I would be able to tell two whiskies apart.

On the other hand, a lot guys say that there is a big difference between MFDs and DSLRs with regard to colour. So as I have happened to have those images I felt it was a good idea to see what folks think.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 10:44:54 am »

I hope none of them. The idea of that much ice in a glass of Blue makes me ill to my stomach. That horrible things happen in the world is something I was vaguely aware of. But to have such travesty so directly in my face. It's awful. Simply awful.*

Mods: can we get a dedicated whiskey subforum? We could even have a large format and small-format section of it

*Joking. Drinking should never be taken too seriously. Blue is a nice whiskey and you should enjoy it however you like. Plus one could argue that pictures of whiskey look weird without the visual interest of a nice ice cube.

billthecat

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 12:37:05 pm »

I'll say C, as the plants looks a bit more dimensional there.

Bill

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 03:31:02 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for your comment. nice to see some votes coming in.

Best regards
Erik

I'll say C, as the plants looks a bit more dimensional there.

Bill
Erik Kaffehr

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 09:36:50 pm »

Of course I can't. You used different glass for each. Don't you know you have to use the same glass when doing these tests? So many people do these critical tests and get the basic stuff wrong.

Jeeze.

8)

Dave

landscapephoto

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 03:46:46 am »

The way you present the pictures makes a direct comparison difficult, so I had to extract the 3 images to be able to flip between them. When I flip between the images, I notice the following:
-the colours on the colorchecker chart are identical almost identical (*). Presumably, you used that chart to calibrate the images. Please note that, by calibrating the images, you may have destroyed some of the original colour differences.
-B and C look almost identical on all subjects.
-A looks markedly different on the tangerine (one of the two items 8 ) and a bit different on the chilis marked 4 and 3. Therefore, I vote for A.
-I see almost no difference on the other items. While your images have a range of colours from natural objects (and that is a good thing), I miss skin tones. Interestingly, the tangerine is the object that comes closest to the area where "caucasian" skin tones would be, no other object is pink-orange. This is also the object where the difference is more important.

I attach a smaller version of the separated images, if somebody else wants to do a quick comparison flip.

(*) Edit: with the later posted animation, I see some differences in the blue and violet squares of the chart on image C. I suppose that your calibration was not perfectly correct with that camera on that camera, which may also explain the darker flower petals. Still: the orange patches are matched between all cameras, while the tangerine is not, a proof that cameras do not match the Luther–Ives conditions...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:17:19 pm by landscapephoto »

fredjeang2

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 04:56:58 am »

The C

landscapephoto

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2018, 05:08:00 am »

Note that the plant on C  looks a bit different in the montage of 3 pictures, because its surroundings are different. It is the effect demonstrated on this optical illusion, where all centre squares are identical:

If the pictures are isolated, the plant looks identical on all pictures to my eye.

billthecat

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 09:51:09 am »

At first I thought the plant in C looked more dimensional, but now that I isolate the plant I can't tell. But the plant in B and C look about the same and A with the most difference. At this point I don't know which one might be the Phase.

Bill

fredjeang2

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 11:59:32 am »

I'm away so just can see the images on the smartphone where the C looked more 3d at first so to say. But seeing it again a bit closer I'd choose the A.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 12:02:43 pm »

Hi,

Great observation! I did not think about that!

Any suggestions for better presentation? I have noticed that C got most votes this far, but that may be attributed to the point you make!

Thanks a lot!

Erik

Note that the plant on C  looks a bit different in the montage of 3 pictures, because its surroundings are different. It is the effect demonstrated on this optical illusion, where all centre squares are identical:

If the pictures are isolated, the plant looks identical on all pictures to my eye.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 12:05:42 pm »

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your input!

:-) Erik :-)

I'm away so just can see the images on the smartphone where the C looked more 3d at first so to say. But seeing it again a bit closer I'd choose the A.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 12:14:48 pm »

Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated!

As far as I recall, I have used profiles generated from a different set of shoots using a Solux lamp at overvoltage as D50 illuminant.

At this stage I don't want to do any more disclosure, I hope you have understanding for that!

Best regards
Erik

The way you present the pictures makes a direct comparison difficult, so I had to extract the 3 images to be able to flip between them. When I flip between the images, I notice the following:
-the colours on the colorchecker chart are identical. Presumably, you used that chart to calibrate the images. Please note that, by calibrating the images, you may have destroyed some of the original colour differences.
-B and C look almost identical on all subjects.
-A looks markedly different on the tangerine (one of the two items 8 ) and a bit different on the chilis marked 4 and 3. Therefore, I vote for A.
-I see almost no difference on the other items. While your images have a range of colours from natural objects (and that is a good thing), I miss skin tones. Interestingly, the tangerine is the object that comes closest to the area where "caucasian" skin tones would be, no other object is pink-orange. This is also the object where the difference is more important.

I attach a smaller version of the separated images, if somebody else wants to do a quick comparison flip.
Erik Kaffehr

landscapephoto

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 12:28:50 pm »

Any suggestions for better presentation?

The best way to see the differences is to load all pictures into different layers in photoshop and animate them, but I am not sure how to present that data on the web. I made an animated gif to give you the idea, but of course the gif format considerably reduces the color palette, so it only gives a rough idea. Even then the differences in the tangerine are obvious.

You need to click on the picture below for it to animate. With the animation, it seems that B and C have the same lens distortions, which would also indicate A is the P45+.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 12:46:25 pm by landscapephoto »

fredjeang2

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 02:07:02 pm »

it seems that B and C have the same lens distortions, which would also indicate A is the P45+.
Also in my smartphone, B & C have similar red and orange while A is a bit less "overdone" or slightly more refined.
But they are very very close. I stick with A.

chapel

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 02:54:04 pm »

I picked C. The depth of field seems less.
Greg

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 01:43:58 am »

Hi,

This is about colour, not focus or depth of field. So don't take DoF as a clue.

Best regards
Erik

I picked C. The depth of field seems less.
Greg
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Some information...
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 04:38:58 am »

Hi,

This is a colour test. Please don't try to mix focus, DoF etc in the judgement, it will just be missleading.

Just to explain, the original ideal was to see how a set of reasonably well defined colours would map to Lab colour space using different profiles. The results were "all over the place", so I gave up on interpretation.

Here are the details how the images were made:

• Obviously all images were shot with three cameras from similar angle of view.
  • Focus is different between the images. Focus doesn't affect color, so I strived for decent focus but it differs between the images. Forget about focus. This is a colour test!
  • All images were processed in Lightroom, with the DCP profiles I use with each camera. Those DCP profiles are all created with LumaRiver Profile Designer.
  • White balance was set on second brightest grey patch on each image.
  • Luminance channel was set to around 51 on fourth brightest grey patch. That is the reference value for the Xrite ColorChecker.
  • The images were exported at 1500 pixels width and opened in Photoshop.
  • Each image was resized to 1500x1050 size. copied and pasted as a new layer in the image.
  • All the layers have been aligned. That adds distortion in the mix, but makes it easier to compare color.
  • The layers were copied as individual pictures from each layer.

Here is a layered image: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Temp/Tricolore/Stacked.tif

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up