Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printing "blues"  (Read 794 times)

Lynn Williams

printing "blues"
« on: March 21, 2018, 11:24:39 am »

I am attempting to print a collection of underwater photographs. Most of the images were taken with a Nikonos 35mm camera and a 15mm wide angle lens.  Slide film (100 ASA) was used shooting at a 60th. I have scanned the slides using a Nikon Coolscan 5000 and Vuescan software at 4000 DPI.

The issue is printing what I call "deep ocean blue". The blues are present on the display but the blues on the prints are washed out and sometimes nearly a light greenish color. I have noticed the same issue on some flower prints that I am preparing for a show in April. For a while I thought it was only the scanned images that had the problem but it seems that my images taken with my D90 are having the same issue when printing.

Printing setup: LR/PS, Epson 4900, Epson 7600, Epson premium luster, 1440, both printer controls color and the Epson profile, relative colormetric.

Last night I printed a landscape with a deep blue sky...same issue...rather washed out. The other colors seem to be fine, just the deep blues are not as deep as they should be....(or I would like them to be)

Thank you for any ideas....maybe out of gamut?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: printing "blues"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 11:38:03 am »

Did you try printing with Application Color Management and using the ICC profile supplied for that paper? You may get better results. Do you softproof your photos on the display before printing so you can detect these problems before you use paper and ink?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up