Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lower Antelope Rays in Early October??  (Read 14129 times)

klimowski

Lower Antelope Rays in Early October??
« on: September 28, 2006, 11:30:53 pm »

I will be returning to Lower Antelope Canyon in early October.  Will the light shafts still present at this time of year?  I ask because a friend I'll be taking down really wants to photograph the shafts, but wouldn't come if they not visible this time of year in Lower Antelope (don't want to battle the crowds in Upper).  Anyone have any information on this?  Thanks!

Brian

Larry C. Price

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 11:33:05 am »

Hi Brian:  I just returned from the Page area and photographed Lower Antelope and other canyons in the area.  There were, in fact, some rays streaming into the canyon at mid-morning.  It helps to ask someone to toss some sand in the air near the ray so it becomes even more visible.  Don't even think of trying to do serious photography in the slots without a tripod.  You might have been there before, but if not, you'll pay $20. to enter the canyon.  At Lower Antelope, you can stay as long as you like.  Upper Antelope is a bit more crowded but at both canyons they're very understanding of photographers so don't worry about that aspect.  In my experience, the best photos occurs in what seems like the dimmest light.  You really have to watch the contrast and stay away from hot spots.  I shoot digital and now compile multiple exposures with Optipix to tame the extreme contrast of slot canyons.  The great thing about slot canyon photography is that it really doesn't matter what time of day you photograph although very early and very late can accentuate the subtle colors even more.  Basically, the slots in Page open at 8 a.m. and it's an easy day to do one in the morning, break for lunch, and do another in the afternoon.  I'd do Lower Antelope first since there will be fewer people there and you'll get the "lay of the land" in a more relaxed setting.  Good luck.

Larry C. Price
www.pricephotography.com

raptorsys

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 06:22:11 pm »

Actually, the slot canyons are best seen near local noon as that's the time of day when the sun is most likely to make it into the canyon and light things up.  As you move about in the canyons one area will light up then a bit later another and so it goes for a few hours.

So, DON'T stop for lunch -- be there for lunch -- eat before or after.

Lastly, the upper canyon has to be booked, usually the day before, from the offices in Page whereas the lower canyon can be driven up to and usually is less of a wait to get into.  However, if you go there during the busy season, say May through September, you may have to wait a day or two.

Oh yeah, one more last thing -- it is VERY dusty and dirty in the canyons so be preparred to clean your equipment when you leave and use a lens that WON'T need to be changed inside.  Think WA zoom!  When I shot with my D100 a couple years ago I used the Sigma 15-30mm zoom and it was a perfect fit for this application.  I know of some photographers that wrap there gear in plastic to protect it from the sandy/dusty/dirty crud in the air most of the time.

Brian

avaneendra

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 07:09:40 pm »

I called up the tours. They say that for lower Antelope canyon as well, I need to take the guided tour. Is this changed recently?.

thanks
-Avaneendra

Lester

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 08:04:19 pm »

I don't know if you guys are telling the truth or not. But I went to the Upper Antelope Canyon in June 22, 2006 of this year. I never been there before but I paid to get in and paid for the photographer tour. (reg. tour is 1 hour, photo tour is 1 1/2 hours) The guide did stop the people so that we can get the pictures of the light shaft and the canyon walls without people there. To get the light shaft, straight up and down, end of June would be the best time at around noon. I did not get a tour, in Page nor do I have to get reservation. This is for 2006, it can change for different years. I used a 35mm lenses on a P45, which works out great.

October, the sun will be lower and the sun ray might not go into the canyon, if it does, it will be at a very low angle.

Yes, you do have to get a guide for the lower Antenlope, I ask the Indian at the lower Antelpe Canyon, that was in charge. But it might be different next year.

I will be returning to Lower Antelope Canyon in early October.  Will the light shafts still present at this time of year?  I ask because a friend I'll be taking down really wants to photograph the shafts, but wouldn't come if they not visible this time of year in Lower Antelope (don't want to battle the crowds in Upper).  Anyone have any information on this?  Thanks!

Brian
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 08:10:02 pm by Lester »
I am a old fart, over 60

bklimowski

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 12:07:20 am »

To finally follow up on this message - and the results of the trip.  Several of the Lower Antelope light rays were visible, but like other had said several of them did not extend all the way to the floor of Lower Antelope Canyon.  I've been there several times now, and 'photographers' are allowed to stay as long as they want in the Lower Canyon, unguided, for the single charge.

I've put together a gallery of these light beam images here:

http://www.pbase.com/brianowski/antelope2

Here's a couple samples:

Cheers,

Brian

T-Bird

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 12:23:41 am »

Been to upper and lower Antelope many times...last time earlier this year.  Unless something has changed you do not need to get a guide in Page.  Just drive to either upper or lower.  At upper they will take your $ then drive you to the slot in their truck.  At lower you pay your $ then just walk (climb) in.

Jim

espressogeek

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 11:06:18 am »

I will be in Page on May 19th. Should I contact someone in advance to make sure I can access lower Antelope? I plan to be there around 9am and I want to stay for a while.

Lester

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 12:08:02 pm »

Wow, it is almost a year later and it is still here. Well I did go to the lower canyon in October. There is no light shaft, only shaft that hit some part of the canyon. Lower canyon is below ground level. Anyway, this is what on for October of 2007 at the lower canyon. It open at 8:00 am, I paid for the photography tour, you paid your money and they suppose to give you 4 hours of shooting time, they let you go and you could wonder around and take pictures. Unless it is raining, you could access the lower canyon, those Indian want your money.

I do have a new web site, showing some pics of the lower canyon at: http://www.travelswithblondie.com

I will be in Page on May 19th. Should I contact someone in advance to make sure I can access lower Antelope? I plan to be there around 9am and I want to stay for a while.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=178230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60
Pages: [1]   Go Up