Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Photoshop CC need the CS5 upgrade software?  (Read 1450 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Does Photoshop CC need the CS5 upgrade software?
« on: March 20, 2018, 11:47:31 pm »

Hi. I upgraded to CC from CS5 some years back.
Do I need to keep the CS5 or can I just sell it?

In other words is the licence somehow still tied to the CS5?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: Does Photoshop CC need the CS5 upgrade software?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:55:26 am »

I don't think so, but if you ever want to ditch the subscription and go back to CS5 you'll still need all the details.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 05:51:33 am »

I don't know about the US, but in Europe generally you can sell on a legally-held licence.  In the same way that you can sell a book, you can generally sell on a copyright work that you've bought.  For example, in the UK you see on Amazon people selling Microsoft Office for much less than the Microsoft price.  This is entirely legal: the vendors are usually selling licences recovered from scrapped machines. 

Garnick

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 01:06:46 pm »

Hi. I upgraded to CC from CS5 some years back.
Do I need to keep the CS5 or can I just sell it?

In other words is the licence somehow still tied to the CS5?

Hi Bob,

I don't have CC yet, still on CS6 and use it everyday (8-10 hrs).  However, I would look at it this way.  I have both CS5 and CS6 installed, but if I had no version of PS installed I could simply start a CC subscription, since it is a totally different situation.  Therefore, the fact that you have CS5 installed is of no relevance to CC, so I believe the answer is NO, you don't need any part of CS5 in order to install and use CC.  Find a buyer for CS5 and recoup some $$$.

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:55:08 pm »

It appears that to buy the Photoshop + LR CC is exactly the same price as what I am paying for the upgraded version.
Therefore there should be no issue selling the CS5.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 04:26:57 am »

It appears that to buy the Photoshop + LR CC is exactly the same price as what I am paying for the upgraded version.
That doesn't make sense. PS CS5 is a standalone product that you've paid for once and can use it for as long as it will work.
PS+LR CC is a subscription service that will you will pay regularly for as long as you use it. If you stop paying you won't be able to use PS CC and LR CC will revert to a cut down product that won't edit files any more.
Therefore there should be no issue selling the CS5.
You can certainly sell it, but you will need another image editor to use if you stop your subscription in future as you'll no longer have access to Photoshop at all.

Garnick

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 09:58:27 am »

That doesn't make sense. PS CS5 is a standalone product that you've paid for once and can use it for as long as it will work.
PS+LR CC is a subscription service that will you will pay regularly for as long as you use it. If you stop paying you won't be able to use PS CC and LR CC will revert to a cut down product that won't edit files any more.You can certainly sell it, but you will need another image editor to use if you stop your subscription in future as you'll no longer have access to Photoshop at all.

YES, a very good point!  Indeed, you will be paying for PS+LR for as long as you need to use them.  If the time arrives when you choose not to subscribe to CC, you will be without an image processor/enhancer such as PS or LR.  Definitely something to think about.  However, there are other apps that are gradually gaining some ground on PS & LR, Affinity Photo and Luminar for example.  I have spent some time with both and have found pros and cons in each case.  My main gripe with Affinity is the "floating" image window, which to me makes no sense at all after using PS for so many years.  I suppose I could get used to it if necessary, but PS CS6 is all I need for the work I do, even though CC does have some features I like and could make good use of.  I make sure I have everything associated with PS CS6 well backed up, including bootable clone drives with the OS and all apps. 

Hmmm...more info than necessary I'm sure.  Yes Bob, I would perhaps give a bit more thought to letting go of your PS CS5 app.

Gary           
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up