Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpa or Ebony for DB Interiors?  (Read 24215 times)

pixjohn

Alpa or Ebony for DB Interiors?
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2006, 06:58:24 pm »

You have to rotate the Cambo Wide DS if you are shooting with a H mont back! Its a pain in the ass. I had know idea when I purchased the camera I would have to remove the camera from the tripod.

On Cambo WDS, the lens moves when shifting horizontally or vertically, not the back...stitching will not be ideal. To change from horizontal to vertical orientation, you remove the back, rotate to vertical and replace. The camera does not need to be put on it's side.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=80300\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MattLaver

• mattlaver.com
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2006, 08:39:44 pm »

I have the Cambo WDS (Digital). I can't comment on the previous generations but WDS Digital accommodates rise and fall by moving the lens unit and lateral shift by moving the back unit. I have the Contax mount version and the back cannot (currently) be rotated so you have to turn the camera on its side to shoot vertically. I believe the Hasselblad V mount version is the only one whose back can be removed and rotated, due to the square nature of the V mount itself.

For film use it can obviously take a 645 film back, but I can't comment on its compatibility with larger film sizes as I haven't tried this since it would need film-based lenses (in the helical mount) for the necessary coverage and I have an ARCA F69 for that anyway.

An ideal improvement would be for the digital back mounting plate to be re-designed to allow vertical as well as horizontal mounting. This would save a lot of hassle, and allow horizontal stitching (with the back mounted vertically) and the back unit moving laterally, and also vertical stitching (with the back mounted vertically - but with the camera then turned on its side) again using the back unit's movements and thus both methods allowing the lens to stay stationary during stitching, which is necessary for acurate results.

Alternatively have all the movements on the back unit and make the mounting plate rotatable. That way the camera and lens stay put and the back can move and stitch as desired. Most convenient but probably least easy to engineer.

But I digress...... (sorry, back to the Alpa question)

Matt

jeannemarie

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2007, 01:09:36 pm »

A question seperate to my post above.

I am possibly looking for one of these compact mf shift cameras (alpa, horseman, cambo etc) to go alongside an mf slr system...for its shift capabilities with mf quality as well as superwide lens with digital (24mm)

At times I may be using hired digital backs but will also at times use it with a film back when I need it's shift capabilities over the mf slr camera.

From experience does anyone know how these cameras perform with both digital and film backs.(the film back could be a typical 67 film back or could even be a hasselbald film back.

Thanks.

Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78442\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up