Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing from SC P800, Lightroom, Sierra - help!  (Read 1501 times)

NigelC

Printing from SC P800, Lightroom, Sierra - help!
« on: March 19, 2018, 01:16:56 pm »

First of all I should say I'm an occasional/intermittent user of imaging processing software and printing - too much other stuff going on to have the time, but when I do dive in I expect things to work. Until relatively recently I used a PC with Bridge/CS5 and an Epson 3800. Whilst I wouldn't in any way call myself an accomplished user, I could at least print successfully with that set up using custom colour management settings.

However, firstly the printer needed replacing - new Epson Sure Color P800; secondly my old Apple Cinema Display died and given the laptop was also quite old, a good deal tempted towards a refurbished late 2014 model 27" iMac, which is now running Sierra; thirdly, I wasn't able to change platforms with CS5 which anyway didn't support OMD 5 mk2 which I now have - but I did have Lightroom (unused) for some reason and an upgrade to 6 and platform change was relatively inexpensive.

I've assembled all these new elements but keep defaulting to just using my laptop as I don't have time to work out the new set-up. I've got through Martin Evening on the Import and Library modules but I'm not having any luck with printing. I just can't access the detailed print settings you get with a PC nor can I access any profiles. I'm not talking about 3rd party profiles but the ones which should be automatically installed with the printer driver like Epson Semi Gloss and Traditional Photo Paper. All I get in the dialogue is a series of monitor profile options

Any ideas - if I give up on Lightroom and took out subscription to get Bridge/Photoshop would the iMac/Epson interface be closer to what I'm used to, or is it the Mac/Sierra/Epson interface that I can't navigate?

NigelC

Re: Printing from SC P800, Lightroom, Sierra - help!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 01:29:34 pm »

Sorry, just to add to that, part of the problem is when I press print in LR, it just prints; when you do it in Photoshop it opens the Epson settings boxes - or is that a PC/Mac rather than LR/Pshop thing?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 01:31:56 pm »

One think you need to do is setup everything including correct driver settings and make a Print Preset, then on the Epson driver, keep it set to "Default Settings" as not doing so can muck up the settings LR wishes to access in the Print Preset. Configure Page Setup... and Print Settings... in the lower left of the Print Module, configure the color management area (Print Job), save it as a Print Template of at least ensure you have all those settings correct AND the Epson driver is again set to "Default Settings" not one you made (and could use elsewhere).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 01:34:06 pm »

Sorry, just to add to that, part of the problem is when I press print in LR, it just prints; when you do it in Photoshop it opens the Epson settings boxes - or is that a PC/Mac rather than LR/Pshop thing?
That's the intended behavior and one that's very useful when you make a Print Template or have everything setup correctly. Click on as many images in the Film Strip, click that button, done. Photoshop would love to be able to do so and so easily. You have to actual open each document into memory to even begin! LR is a lot smarter for printing.  ;)
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

NigelC

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 01:59:20 pm »

LR is a lot smarter for printing.  ;)
if you say so!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 02:27:14 pm »

I say so too.

But to get back to your original problem - have you read Martin's chapter on printing? Everything is explained very clearly. If you follow those instructions it should work. Perhaps where your problem arises is the fact that there are two buttons from which you gain access to the printer driver in the Lightroom Print Module: both are on the bottom of the interface. If you use the lower right buttons, the leftward one (PRINT) is just a shortcut to make a print. It assumes whatever set-up has already been made and uses it. If you use the furthermost lower right one (PRINTER....), it takes you to the driver where you can make changes to the printer settings, but after that it only gives you the option to print. Instead of working with the two lower right two buttons, start off on the bottom left side of the interface. Go to the PAGE SETUP button and make sure that the choice of printer, paper size  and paper orientation settings are correct. Then go to the PRINT SETTINGS button immediately to the right of that one and make all the driver settings you need. Here is where you will be in the driver and go to Printer settings and select the Media Type, Speed, resolution etc. Once you've made those settings in the driver and you are sure you are happy with them, as Andrew suggested, make a driver Preset of them, giving it a name you will recognize next time. So this memorizes that package of settings for that paper. When you are ready to exit that space, Lightroom is giving you a Save option. You click Save, and this preserves for Lightroom's purposes what you did in the driver. Then when you go to the two buttons on the bottom right, when you click the far right one (PRINTER), it will show what you have just saved and allows you to then Print. From then on, if you aren't changing anything, you can simply click the PRINT button immediately to the left of it, and the system will make a print.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

enduser

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 06:42:42 pm »

Mark, as a reader and small contributor here for quite a few years, I find your English expression and clarity a joy to read. And I'm not being sarcastic - I really mean it. Thanks.

robertDthomas

• Robert Thomas Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 07:26:55 pm »

Mark, as a reader and small contributor here for quite a few years, I find your English expression and clarity a joy to read. And I'm not being sarcastic - I really mean it. Thanks.

+1

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 07:42:17 pm »

Much appreciated, thanks.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

NigelC

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 07:54:37 am »

I say so too.

But to get back to your original problem - have you read Martin's chapter on printing? Everything is explained very clearly. If you follow those instructions it should work. Perhaps where your problem arises is the fact that there are two buttons from which you gain access to the printer driver in the Lightroom Print Module: both are on the bottom of the interface. If you use the lower right buttons, the leftward one (PRINT) is just a shortcut to make a print. It assumes whatever set-up has already been made and uses it. If you use the furthermost lower right one (PRINTER....), it takes you to the driver where you can make changes to the printer settings, but after that it only gives you the option to print. Instead of working with the two lower right two buttons, start off on the bottom left side of the interface. Go to the PAGE SETUP button and make sure that the choice of printer, paper size  and paper orientation settings are correct. Then go to the PRINT SETTINGS button immediately to the right of that one and make all the driver settings you need. Here is where you will be in the driver and go to Printer settings and select the Media Type, Speed, resolution etc. Once you've made those settings in the driver and you are sure you are happy with them, as Andrew suggested, make a driver Preset of them, giving it a name you will recognize next time. So this memorizes that package of settings for that paper. When you are ready to exit that space, Lightroom is giving you a Save option. You click Save, and this preserves for Lightroom's purposes what you did in the driver. Then when you go to the two buttons on the bottom right, when you click the far right one (PRINTER), it will show what you have just saved and allows you to then Print. From then on, if you aren't changing anything, you can simply click the PRINT button immediately to the left of it, and the system will make a print.
Thanks I'll try all that when I get home in a few weeks

David Edge

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 10:37:53 am »

Don't know if this will help, but some programs go straight to print if you press Cmd-P, but take you to the print dialogue if you select File, Print. No experience of LR though, but it mat be the answer.

d.

MHFinVA

Pages: [1]   Go Up