Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1Ds 10,000 actuations issue  (Read 2909 times)

Sageman

1Ds 10,000 actuations issue
« on: September 28, 2006, 05:35:10 pm »

I remember reading about certain issues with the 1Ds when it turned 10,000 exposures in the counter.  I'm just about at that point, but can't remember what the issue or solution was.  It may have been in the file numbering, not sure.  Can anybody help.  

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 07:39:39 pm »

It's no big deal other than that it will stop working and ask you if you want to continue (doh).  First couple of times it happens it will tend to buffalo you because you think the darn thing is broken.

Also note that your remaining frames count will start seeming small because it's counting down to 9999, not to the actual number available on the card (another way it tries to trick you into thinking something is broken).

And then of course your file numbering will start over again at 0001, so depending on your personal filing/numbering regime you may or may not want to be alert to duplicate filenames.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

JohnKirby

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 04:26:59 am »

If you're concerned about it being a distraction rolling over in the middle of a job, you can do a counter reset ("Forced M-Reset"), to get back to "0000" before you start.

Further to Nill's comments on duplicated file numbers, if you're running Windows, a product such as Chris Breeze's Downloader Pro can be set up in such a way as to prefix your next 9999 exposures with a "1" as they are downloaded. Subsequent 9999's can be prefixed 2,3, etc.

Unique numerical file names are a boon when you need to find  a specific shot.

John.

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 04:44:42 am »

Unique numerical file names are a boon when you need to find  a specific shot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
CaptureOne will do this using the exif camera shot counter rather than the 10k counter. In addition to this the first thing I always do after opening a new batch in C1 is to batch rename prepending the date, so all shots are of the form YYMMDD-NNNNN.tif where NNNNN is the shot counter. My files are stored in heirarchical folders by year/month/day so this convention allows me to easily backtrack to the original image.

- DL
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 04:47:30 am by dlashier »

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 09:52:33 am »

I stuck with the unique file number system until I found myself with too many images from too many different cameras and it simply became overwhelming.  Now I use a date and jobcode based system instead.

I have Downloader Pro automatically download my files to date-and-jobcode folders — e.g., /060930 AYSA15g for tomorrow's U-15 girls' soccer match — and auto-rename the files similarly.  (It also automatically and simultaneously backs up the download to a second external drive, BTW.)

Then (using BreezeBrowser Pro) I cull the shoot down to keepers and rename them in numerical order, in order of timestamp (because I'm frequently using more than one body), so they end up in time order with filenames like 060930-AYSA15g-001.cr2.  Then I proceed with processing, web gallery generation, etc. from there.  

This way I end up with unique filenames that are meaningful and completely independent of which camera was used.  Since I occasionally get print orders from two- and three-year-old shoots, this has proved to be extremely helpful.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up