Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Awareness for Self Rescue  (Read 1192 times)

Patricia Sheley

Awareness for Self Rescue
« on: March 14, 2018, 09:44:58 pm »

I have noticed that the recent crash into the river in NYC of a "Photo op sunset helicopter flight" resulting in the death of all five passengers has not here been noted. Several hours afterward my husband let me know, my words to him at the time being, "that is not good. It would be open door and they would all be tethered to the chopper." Unhappily that proved to be the case. As a part of my earlier life involved heavy duty 5 point harness and tethers, a knife and the knowledge of how to use it in emergency was a regular part of our safety meeting each morning.

Later it would be ice claws in our sleeves when moving over iced bodies of water for self rescue and in the doors of our vehicles glass breakers. No one ever thinks that they might actually need to use them, but you sure are thankful when you or someone close to you puts them to use successfully. (Just today I buried myself up to high chest in a drift I failed to read correctly, and after the initial failed attempt to work my way out discovered I was still gripping my pole. worked it across the snow in front of me to pull my way up and out. I was not in danger as I eventually would have been heard by someone I think, but it was a good reminder, just as similar measures for self rescue in unfamiliar swamp areas.)

Returning home tonight, I was certain someone would have noticed the accident by now, and perhaps you have. Yet on the off chance that photographers among you are considering one of these flights, please take the time to make yourself smart and prepared before you leave the ground. It can be a thrilling experience, but sadly until some precautions are better addressed, can be deadly for the unaware. (Google NYC Helicopter crash for more) Eric Adams, an aviation photojournalist on a nearby flight had the same first thought when he discovered the other flight's belongings still in the lockers. "They are harnessed and tethered to that flight"
A common woman~

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Awareness for Self Rescue
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 10:02:19 pm »

Thanks for posting that, Patricia.
I had seen videos and read brief reports but had no idea they were tethered with no way to escape in case of trouble.
In hindsight it seems incredibly reckless and stupid.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 10:06:22 pm »

Immediate intense excitement has a way of luring many of us along some pretty dangerous paths before our sober counterpart is able to catch up~
A common woman~

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:48:56 pm »

To this day, I still listen and watch the safety briefings for every aircraft I board, be it a commercial or a charter flight - large or small, fixed or rotary.
Phil Brown

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 11:37:30 pm »

The really interesting thing here, is even if you wanted to carry a knife for a situation like this, it is illegal to carry any folding knife in NYC.  It's perfectly legal to carry a fixed blade knife, but a folded safety knife is illegal. 

Apparently back in the 50s it was decided that folding knives were scary and outlawed, but daggers and stilettos are okay here in the Big Apple. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

degrub

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 12:03:19 am »

In a chopper crash into water, you are pretty well stunned on impact. Unless you have practiced unhooking or cutting your way out after the impact, you are not likely to be able to do it. yes, the knowledge gives you a chance, but the physical training makes possible. i didn't believe how hard it was until having to go through the crash class before being allowed to visit offshore rigs.

Redcrown

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 12:18:38 am »

May, 1972, Gulf of Tonkin, Viet Nam. Navy admiral R.C. Robinson decided to move his command staff from one ship to another, one mile away. The helicopter carrying him and his staff suffered engine failure, went belly up, and dropped into the ocean upside down.

Both pilots escaped unharmed. The admiral and staff did not. The difference was training, and the rumors that circulated said they ignored the pilot's instruction to buckle in for such a short flight.

I didn't see it happen, but I was there. Got the story second hand from a different pilot a week later.  The story made frequent use of the phrase, "Dumb SOBs".

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 02:22:14 am »

In a chopper crash into water, you are pretty well stunned on impact. Unless you have practiced unhooking or cutting your way out after the impact, you are not likely to be able to do it. yes, the knowledge gives you a chance, but the physical training makes possible. i didn't believe how hard it was until having to go through the crash class before being allowed to visit offshore rigs.

Yeah, I've seen video of the training a few of my friends went through in the navy.  The footage I saw of this crash didn't look as hard a crash as the training simulator that dunks you, but it's hard to tell with no direct experience of such things.
Phil Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up