Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next gen Thun 3 8 disk array advice?  (Read 6014 times)

mkihne

Re: Next gen Thun 3 8 disk array advice?
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 11:37:42 am »

So for network speeds, it's an amazing time.  NBASE-T or 802.3bz allows for 2.5gbps and 5gbps over existing Cat5e/Cat6 respectively.  I'm looking at a TB3-10gbps adapter that's around $300, and Netgear makes a trunk-able switch that's 8x1gbps and 2x2.5/5/10gbps for $300.  The reason I want the trunk-able is so I can take the 4x1gbps ports from the Synology, since I can have either the 10gbps port, or the 2x M.2 SSD accelerators.

The one thing I didn't really touch on is how someones workspace ends up applying into the NAS or DAS setup.  If you have a nice desk setup you always work at, having a few extra cables to plug in, or are constantly attached since it's a desktop, can provide an extreme speed advantage.  If your workspace is mobile, as in where ever you set your computer down, then there are different considerations.  I can get a 50' CAT7 network cord for 10gbps of wired access, I can't find a 50' optical TB3 cord - just TB2 so far.

There will be more NBase-T gear coming out over the next few months, but we've got a great start.  Here's what I'm looking at as of 3/15/18
Netgear GS110EMX
AKiTiO Thunder3 or Promise SANLink3-t1 TB3 to 10gbps network adapter
ASUS XG-C100C 10gbps NIC

-Joe

Thanks for the additional info, Joe. Much of that is Greek to me and likely explains my DAS vs NAS comfort level, although I go back to SCSI era with chains and termination issues, etc. Also, other than preserving and backing up photo files when on shooting trips, I tend not to work on new files remotely, whereas it appears to be a convenience(or necessity) for you. I may dig into some “networked storage for dummies” resources. 😁
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:41:21 am by mkihne »

Joe Towner

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 05:49:24 pm »

It's a work in progress, and I really should split it up a bit.

https://medium.com/@PNWMF/storage-systems-and-methods-for-photographers-86e04f940013

-Joe
t: @PNWMF

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2018, 10:35:42 pm »

Thanks Joe.

The more I think of it, the more I would like to see Raid 6x2 units with 2 hot spares.

That would mean 14 bays units that could store 48TB using 12 TB drives.

It would take 5 drives to die to loose data and restore with accepted down time would just be about copying on drive to a hotspare, which should be very fast.

Cheers,
Bernard

narikin

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2018, 12:45:31 am »

Another long term Areca user here. Very satisfied, obviously.
I have a 7 x 6tb internal array, in my main PC workstation. And two external 8050 TB2s for backup. One is kept off-site that I rotate about monthly.

Yes their interface is slightly clunky, but boy do they deliver in speed, reliability and pro features. It's not a 'prosumer' product, it's true pro.  I use HGST Ultrastsar HE6 drives for reliability.

mkihne

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 10:41:46 am »

Hi narkin,

Yes, I wish setup was more user friendly but once setup, I have had no issues requiring me to access M-raid app. My 8050T2 is going on 3 years and over a year on my 8050T3. Using 4tb wd enterprise drives in raid 10 as noted above.

Not to rehash previous discussion, but what raid setup are you using, assuming you are not jbod with that setup?

I am now doing my archiving offsite with alternating bare hgst 8tb drives(I think wd has adopted hgst “helium” technology into their larger drives as well.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 10:46:53 am by mkihne »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up