Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Northern Lights October 2006  (Read 4201 times)

dharma

Northern Lights October 2006
« on: September 28, 2006, 04:18:20 am »

Hello everybody!!!

I'm interrested in going to Finland,for 4 days in October 2006, preferably between 21st and 29, with my girlfriend to see the Northern Lights.
For that i would like to have some information.
Can anybody tell me when suppose to be best days of the month to see the Lights?
And where is suppose to be the best spot in Finland to wacth them?
Also, where can we find the cheapest places to sleep and the cheapest way to travel to Finland (now we live in Holland)?
If you have any other advices for our trip will be very gratefull to listen!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Sunny Grettings to everybody!!!!

Ciao

Woodcorner

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 06:23:18 am »

The frequency and intensity of northern lights (Aurora borealis) depends on the intensity of the solar winds, which in turn depends on the activity of the sun itself. In a cycle of eleven years, the intensity varies considerably. During times of major activity, polar lights can be seen even in southern parts of Europe. Because solar winds travel for 2-4 days before reaching the earth, you can almost precisely predict a higher chance of northern lights to be seen. For information on solar activity, the  NICT Space Weather Information Center provides a useful website.

The best time to observe them is late autumn/early winter (end of October to mid-December) as well as the end of February until the beginning of April. During these periods, the magnetic field of the sun and the earth are parallel to each other, causing the greatest effect.

As soon as you travel north of the polar circle, you will be able to observe polar lights almost all year around.

Try stay away from any artificial light sources like cities or villages. The light emitted makes it hard to see the subtle nuances in clors and shapes.

On a skiing trip in northern Sweden, above the polar circle in the Sarek National Park, I was able to observe polar lights every other night for almost three weeks at the end of February. It was the most impressive sight and you begin to understand why people in former times believed the northern lights to be the souls of their ancestors.

Enjoy your trip!

Andrew

Wayland

• Trust me I'm a Viking
    • Waylandscape
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 09:26:04 am »

This was shot in Lofoten mid August. We had warning of good activity one night but full cloud cover.

The next night was clear and we got about 45 minutes of show with me shooting like a mad thing.

Although the lights are famous in the winter months that's just because you have more dark hours to see them in.

Good luck, it's a sight I think everyone should see at least once.
Wayland. [/S

dharma

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 10:32:37 am »

Hello Andrew!!

Thank you very much for the information, i will have it in mind and search the website you advise!!
Good and intzerresting to know the details you talk about, that can influence the Lights! It's amazing how nature works!!!!

Stay well!!!

Ciao

dharma

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 10:41:42 am »

Hello Wayland!!!

Nice picture you get from the Lights!!!! Beautiful!!! I wish we can be lucky to watch some of them!!!! Like you say should be something that everybody would like to experience once at least.... Im really excited to it!!!

Thank you!!!

Your web site is really interresting as well!!

Good landscapes!!!!

Ciao

sergio

• http://www.sergiobartelsman.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 03:32:16 pm »

Is there anyplace where I can get info on what are going to be the best times this year to see them? Is it better in late october or mid november?

Sergio
Pages: [1]   Go Up