Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSLR vs Mirrorless trends (CIPA)  (Read 9200 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: DSLR vs Mirrorless trends (CIPA)
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2018, 02:52:18 pm »

Actually Canon mirrorless outsells all other mirrorless cameras in Japan, the only market that I know of with a breakdown.

Indeed.

Now Canon has demonstrated these past years that their sales performance has not much to do with the value of their offering.

They are just way better at sales and marketing than Nikon and probably than Sony as well, like in a different league, pro vs amateur,...

Cheers,
Bernard

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2018, 03:06:50 pm »

Indeed.
Any data why you believe hogloff more than BJL?
pieter, aka pegelli

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2018, 05:28:27 pm »

Re the canikon situation.  As far as I am concerned I have made my choice as I wanted a lighter and smaller travel setup than my Canon 5D3 and EF lenses.  I chose Fuji and have X-T2 plus zooms and primes.  The 18-55 and 55-200 are fine for my travel needs and I have bought the primes as I now use the Fuji for most other occasions.  If Canon bring out a mirrorles body to go with EF lenses then I do not think the weight of the body and my existing lenses will induce me to buy and use instead of the Fuji.  If a new Canon mirrorless body uses non EF lenses then the conversion cost, including the loss on selling the Fuji set, will stop me. 

The upshot is that Canon and Nikon are probably too late for me when they do jump properly to mirrorless.  I suspect that I am not the only one in this situation, judging by the number who have already bought into mirrorless ILCs from eg Fuji and Sony.
Jonathan in UK

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 07:53:24 pm »

The upshot is that Canon and Nikon are probably too late for me when they do jump properly to mirrorless.  I suspect that I am not the only one in this situation, judging by the number who have already bought into mirrorless ILCs from eg Fuji and Sony.

Indeed. As far as I am concerned I'll be waiting for the Nikon FF mirrorless body also and decide where to go next.

Sony is appealing and shows amazing potential, but the current generation is IMHO just not quite there yet.

Cheers,
Bernard

chez

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 07:55:41 pm »

Re the canikon situation.  As far as I am concerned I have made my choice as I wanted a lighter and smaller travel setup than my Canon 5D3 and EF lenses.  I chose Fuji and have X-T2 plus zooms and primes.  The 18-55 and 55-200 are fine for my travel needs and I have bought the primes as I now use the Fuji for most other occasions.  If Canon bring out a mirrorles body to go with EF lenses then I do not think the weight of the body and my existing lenses will induce me to buy and use instead of the Fuji.  If a new Canon mirrorless body uses non EF lenses then the conversion cost, including the loss on selling the Fuji set, will stop me. 

Count me as one that has moved to Sony for a lighter kit and have no interest now with what Canon will have to offer. Too late for me.

bcooter

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2018, 08:39:23 pm »

Yes

Guillermo,

I'm not arguing.  In fact in my first reply of this thread I said "But once again, this is all personal choice."

I also said I own mirrorless from 4/3 to FF and if you include my RED's three more "mirrorless" cameras.

All I'm saying is mirrorless with good glass is not as inexpensive as people think and because I have backups, even my smaller 4/3 camera cases weigh almost as much as my canon cases.   

Rob C,

I agree with you about mobile phones.  Maybe they're a niche but to me they are just a commodity that everyone owns, which serves a purpose but takes the "special" out of the photographic equation. 

Maybe someday we'll have great image making mobile phones, but I find them boring, though that's because I like cameras and own 10 brands with full lenses of all stripes.   I use them all, though my favorite still cameras are the Leica S, Contax/Phase, for fast killer work the 1dx1 and 1dxII canon. For motion REDs and sometimes the panasonic Gh3 and keep trying to wrap my head around the Sony AFS2, though I find the A7sII to be difficult on skin tones. (though I hear Sony has corrected that with their latest A series).   

I would have gone for the gh4/5 for 4k except the processor is on the limit running a high bit rate 4k file, the autofocus doesn't work as well as the gh3 and is miles behind the 1dxII.

In fact I'm truly camera agnostic because the real relevance of a photograph is what is in front and back of the camera.

Though I do find the fuji xh1 interesting.

IMO

BC

BJL

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2018, 11:58:49 pm »

???  Any sources so we can see who is right?
Here is a few year’s data. Olympus doing better that I recall reading: bad memory or a different source?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/photorumors.com/2017/11/15/the-2017-bcn-camera-rankings-are-out/amp/

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2018, 02:26:42 am »

Here is a few year’s data. Olympus doing better that I recall reading: bad memory or a different source?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/photorumors.com/2017/11/15/the-2017-bcn-camera-rankings-are-out/amp/
Thanks! Interesting to see the changes year to year.

It's a pity it's only Japan, would be nice to have this for other regions as well (or just worldwide data)
pieter, aka pegelli
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up