Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Psychology of Progressive Hostility"  (Read 53025 times)

jeremyrh

Re: "The Psychology of Progressive Hostility"
« Reply #240 on: March 19, 2018, 11:24:45 am »

Worldly wisdom comes very late in life, often when it's too late.

Senility seems a more accurate diagnosis.

Rob C

« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2018, 11:36:20 am »

Not really; senility is beyond the control of the individual, whereas wisdom is more an aquired virtue dependent on the individual's personality and willingness to learn, or otherwise, from experience...

It's why there are few wise children under six.

;-(

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2018, 11:52:11 am »

And as for walking barefoot, people may indeed develop tough leathery soles, but there are several parasitic diseases that are contracted by walking barefoot on soil, hookworm being one of them.

Do not go barefoot into that good night.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #243 on: March 19, 2018, 12:32:31 pm »

I can only wish you, myself, and everyone else the "senility" the two octogenarians on this forum have.

jeremyrh

« Reply #244 on: March 19, 2018, 12:46:12 pm »

Not really; senility is beyond the control of the individual
Quite - hence my diagnosis - I can't really imagine why someone would choose to hold (and/or admit to holding) such views; I imagined it must be beyond control.

Perhaps I was too generous.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2018, 02:23:45 pm »

Obviously written by a misogynist, Ray.

Out of school hours, my girlfriend and wife-to-be (one person) wore high heels from the day I met her when she was fifteen, and certainly before that, and she was as active as anybody wearing Nike or whatever, not that Nike existed back then, AFAIK, but Keds did. She never complained of pains, and had a beautiful carriage.(No, not the type with wheels.) Her voice was like music too, but I don't expect heels had much to do with that, but on the other hand, perhaps the habitual bearing of the thorax did affect things...

Why do some academics have this down on women looking good? The reality is that heels enhance posture, pushing out the breasts and creating a delightful shape to the lower back and the thrust of the pelvis. Just ask yourself: why do so many pin-up shots have nudes wearing high heels? Obviously, as my own snaps were mostly sea-based, my natural honesty precluded the use of a sheet of plywood beneath a scattering of grains. That would not have been ambiguous: that would have been deceitful. Hence, the dearth of such heels in my surviving pictures. But all my fashion ladies wore high heels, and looked the better for it. I exclude platforms from the general statement about heels: platforms were ever ugly and would have looked at home in any of Helmut Newton's medical/surgical extravaganzas.

What? Do you also think the negative findings from studies on foot binding are not true? 

You sound like my Grandmother when she was alive.  "Michael (our doctor) must be loosing it.  He told me I should stop wearing heels.  I've been wearing heels since I was a teenager." 

My Grandmother had horrible feet and developed bunions in her 50s & 60s. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2018, 02:45:16 pm »

Quite - hence my diagnosis - I can't really imagine why someone would choose to hold (and/or admit to holding) such views; I imagined it must be beyond control....;

From the OP article:

... the progressive hears the conservative and thinks, “I have no idea why you would believe that. You’re probably a racist senile.

Rob C

« Reply #247 on: March 19, 2018, 03:20:52 pm »

What? Do you also think the negative findings from studies on foot binding are not true? 

You sound like my Grandmother when she was alive.  "Michael (our doctor) must be loosing it.  He told me I should stop wearing heels.  I've been wearing heels since I was a teenager." 

My Grandmother had horrible feet and developed bunions in her 50s & 60s.

I've seen the results of foot binding; I've seen the results of entire limb binding as aid to a career in begging. You have no idea the lengths that desperate people with no way out of their condition will go.

Grandmothers, of a certain period, may not have had the educational opportunities open to grandmothers of my current era, but boy, did many of them have oodles of common sense that is becoming a threatened resource today.

Be thankful to be living in the West.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #248 on: March 19, 2018, 03:26:07 pm »

I can only wish you, myself, and everyone else the "senility" the two octogenarians on this forum have.

Thank you, Slobodan, and just to prove you are right, I hold a certificate to prove my sanity. It came as one of the new tests to which drivers over 79 are subjected. According to that, I shall be perfectly sane for at least another year, at the termination of which, we shall see...

I wonder how many of the members here hold such an official confirmation of their good mental status?

:-)

Rob C

« Reply #249 on: March 19, 2018, 03:40:05 pm »

Quite - hence my diagnosis - I can't really imagine why someone would choose to hold (and/or admit to holding) such views; I imagined it must be beyond control.

Perhaps I was too generous.

Have you considered your imagination may be just a tad limited?

:-)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #250 on: March 19, 2018, 04:09:16 pm »

And gifts are taxed just the same.

Not true, Slobodan. Under the UK tax system, anyway.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #251 on: March 19, 2018, 04:27:45 pm »

Not true, Slobodan. Under the UK tax system, anyway.

I stand corrected, at least in the sense I responded to Rob. Tax laws are notoriously complicated. In the US, one would pay a gift tax if his lifetime accumulated gifts GIVEN (not received) exceed $5.49 millions (2017). The reasoning behind such a tax is to prevent exactly the case we've been discussing, i.e. avoiding inheritance tax by gradually giving it away before death.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #252 on: March 19, 2018, 04:41:01 pm »

I've seen the results of foot binding; I've seen the results of entire limb binding as aid to a career in begging. You have no idea the lengths that desperate people with no way out of their condition will go.

Grandmothers, of a certain period, may not have had the educational opportunities open to grandmothers of my current era, but boy, did many of them have oodles of common sense that is becoming a threatened resource today.

Be thankful to be living in the West.

Rob

That was a great non-answer answer, aka a red herring. 

Rob C

« Reply #253 on: March 19, 2018, 06:25:15 pm »

That was a great non-answer answer, aka a red herring.

Well-smoked, I trust?

Rob

JoeKitchen

« Reply #254 on: March 19, 2018, 07:57:14 pm »

Well-smoked, I trust?

Rob

;)

To be honest, I've never had red herring, and would be curious to try it.

Rob C

« Reply #255 on: March 20, 2018, 05:30:59 am »

;)

To be honest, I've never had red herring, and would be curious to try it.

The French chap whose restaurant provides me with lunch most of the time does a salad with herring and artichokes; not smoked, dried out stuff, but fine, light grey slivers that melt in the mouth. I suppose it's a bit of an acquired taste, though, and I can't imagine that many Brits would find it attractive. But then, I also like to eat snails in butter and various herbs, but that has been off my range of possibilities for a long time, due to the butter/cholesterol catch. Bummer. They do snails here in Mallorca in a soup-like concoction, but the taste is entirely different and I don't enjoy it at all.

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website

James Clark

« Reply #257 on: March 21, 2018, 05:06:49 pm »

Concur.  If, in my 80s, I can ruminate and write like Rob, and wrangle and retort like Russ, I'll consider that a big quality-of-life bonus. 

James Clark

« Reply #258 on: March 21, 2018, 05:08:18 pm »

More proof of the Left’s inherent violence: 😉

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/biden-if-i-went-school-trump-id-take-him-behind-gym-and-beat-hell-out-him

To be fair, I'm about as pacifist as one can get without actually being a pacifist, and I want to pound Trump into the ground just about every single day.  He's infuriating, and not just because of his politics.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #259 on: March 21, 2018, 05:13:39 pm »

... the butter/cholesterol catch. Bummer.
Rob

Medical science has known for a few years now that the cholesterol you eat has essentially nothing to do with the cholesterol in your blood. Yet the anti good food gang keeps promulgating this myth.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19   Go Up