Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Psychology of Progressive Hostility"  (Read 52956 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: "The Psychology of Progressive Hostility"
« Reply #220 on: March 18, 2018, 05:16:11 pm »

...beware_fellow_plutocrats_the_pitchforks_are_coming...

Nah... someone already noticed something peculiar about Americans: "Most Americans see themselves only as temporarily embarrassed millionaires."

Farmer

« Reply #221 on: March 18, 2018, 06:17:23 pm »

A liberal against more taxes!?

Who are you and what have you done to our good, reliably liberal friend Farmer!? :D

All jokes aside, I've said many times, that I'm not liberal :-)
Phil Brown

Ray

« Reply #222 on: March 18, 2018, 10:53:39 pm »

1.  Really? How about geography, weather, over-population and lack of birth control for either religious, educational or economic reasons, or because the man just likes doing it whenever and however he can, and without anything coming between him and his pleasures? Even free condoms have a hard time getting used (no pun etc.).

Yes. Really. Whatever the geography and weather, poverty and malnutrition in this modern technological era, are all due to an inefficient use of resources.

Of course, tens of thousands of years ago before nations and so-called civilizations existed, people were free to move to wherever the pastures were greener, which is probably why some of the first humans moved out of Africa as the climate became drier. One imagines that those who were not able to move quickly enough to greener pastures would occasionally be the victims of extreme famine and die of starvation and/or diseases.

The reasons for this current 'inefficient and wasteful use of resources' are another issue. They would include plain stupidity, corruption, incompetence, greed, ego, vanity, and the power struggles of individuals who initiate wars and conflicts in order to protect or expand their own authority and rule over others.

2.  No, he is providing employment for the people who make the stuff as well as for those who service it.

Yes he is. He's providing useless employment that serves no useful purpose, and that highlights the problem. I'm reminded of stories of the ancient Roman armies. To keep the soldiers occupied during times of no conflict, they would sometimes be instructed to pick up pebbles from the beach, then later place them back again, in the same location.

The technology and resources we have access to, in this modern era, are more than sufficient to provide a comfortable and secure living for every man, woman and child on the planet. Sadly, so many wealthy people prefer to waste resources. About 14 billion dollars worth of food is wasted every year, world-wide, and that's just one example.

Can you really not see the economic difference, Rob, between someone like Imelda Marcos buying 1,000 pairs of expensive designer shoes, to satisfy her vanity, and someone who spends the same amount of money on 2 or 3 thousand pairs of practical shoes for bare-footed peasants who can't afford any shoes at all?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #223 on: March 18, 2018, 11:51:07 pm »

... due to an inefficient use of resources...

If only we would have some sort of a central planning body that would make sure resources are used efficiently, coming up with five-year plans how to achieve it, and, when achieved, move on to the next five-year plan. I think I even heard the name for those plans: пятилетка*. The rumor had it that we were only a few пятилеткаs away from true communism.

*пят=five лет=year.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #224 on: March 19, 2018, 12:36:53 am »

пятилетка done in Soviet style in the entire eastern block never worked.
The current preoccupation with just the next quarter can be even more disastrous.
However, long term planning in the Warren Buffet universe seems to work very well, so maybe it's not the planning but the execution.

Rob C

« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2018, 05:48:51 am »

Yes. Really. Whatever the geography and weather, poverty and malnutrition in this modern technological era, are all due to an inefficient use of resources.

Of course, tens of thousands of years ago before nations and so-called civilizations existed, people were free to move to wherever the pastures were greener, which is probably why some of the first humans moved out of Africa as the climate became drier. One imagines that those who were not able to move quickly enough to greener pastures would occasionally be the victims of extreme famine and die of starvation and/or diseases.

The reasons for this current 'inefficient and wasteful use of resources' are another issue. They would include plain stupidity, corruption, incompetence, greed, ego, vanity, and the power struggles of individuals who initiate wars and conflicts in order to protect or expand their own authority and rule over others.

Yes he is. He's providing useless employment that serves no useful purpose, and that highlights the problem. I'm reminded of stories of the ancient Roman armies. To keep the soldiers occupied during times of no conflict, they would sometimes be instructed to pick up pebbles from the beach, then later place them back again, in the same location.

The technology and resources we have access to, in this modern era, are more than sufficient to provide a comfortable and secure living for every man, woman and child on the planet. Sadly, so many wealthy people prefer to waste resources. About 14 billion dollars worth of food is wasted every year, world-wide, and that's just one example.

Can you really not see the economic difference, Rob, between someone like Imelda Marcos buying 1,000 pairs of expensive designer shoes, to satisfy her vanity, and someone who spends the same amount of money on 2 or 3 thousand pairs of practical shoes for bare-footed peasants who can't afford any shoes at all?

Ray, you have no right to suggest that one man's fun car is another person's lack of shoes. During my eight years as a kid in India, none of the chauffeurs wore them when driving.

If you have looked closely at the feet of those who walk barefoot you will have noticed that their soles are as thick and strong as the soles of your tennis shoes. I can't vouch for Mrs Marcos, of course, but she lived several thousand miles away. ;-)

Anyway, the waste of food every day in the West is not the realm only of the rich; more, I would suggest it's the result of all those working wives who never did have the opportunity to learn to cook properly, and who ended up working outwith the home because the cost of living grew, automatically, to suit the spending capacity of the two-earner household, leaving them no choice at all but to go out there, find alternative jobs and work.

Where once the husband could earn enough to preserve his pride, feed his family, the double-earner phenomenon skewered the natural way of things and everybody, includng the singles, ended up having to earn more to stand still. You can't do that and keep a good home environment running on all cylinders: something has to give. What gives is the quality of life within the home. So, there's the reason for the food waste: put microwaved crap on the table and only so much of it can be eaten before you vomit. Your solution is to bin the excess. And there always is excess if you buy pre-prepared, especially if in portions for one.

When nature was respected, when girls were dressed in pink and allowed to desire dolls, and little boys in blue to desire the girls, life was assured. For many years, now, the natural order had been sacrificed to fake, progressive intelligence based on "research" by scholars who have probably never had natural families of their own. Unisex is the new name of the child game, and the confused results of that philosophy now go on fancy dess parades and make utter fools of themselves.

jeremyrh

« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2018, 06:03:43 am »

Ray, you have no right to suggest that one man's fun car is another person's lack of shoes. During my eight years as a kid in India, none of the chauffeurs wore them when driving.

If you have looked closely at the feet of those who walk barefoot you will have noticed that their soles are as thick and strong as the soles of your tennis shoes. I can't vouch for Mrs Marcos, of course, but she lived several thousand miles away. ;-)

Anyway, the waste of food every day in the West is not the realm only of the rich; more, I would suggest it's the result of all those working wives who never did have the opportunity to learn to cook properly, and who ended up working outwith the home because the cost of living grew, automatically, to suit the spending capacity of the two-earner household, leaving them no choice at all but to go out there, find alternative jobs and work.

Where once the husband could earn enough to preserve his pride, feed his family, the double-earner phenomenon skewered the natural way of things and everybody, includng the singles, ended up having to earn more to stand still. You can't do that and keep a good home environment running on all cylinders: something has to give. What gives is the quality of life within the home. So, there's the reason for the food waste: put microwaved crap on the table and only so much of it can be eaten before you vomit. Your solution is to bin the excess. And there always is excess if you buy pre-prepared, especially if in portions for one.

When nature was respected, when girls were dressed in pink and allowed to desire dolls, and little boys in blue to desire the girls, life was assured. For many years, now, the natural order had been sacrificed to fake, progressive intelligence based on "research" by scholars who have probably never had natural families of their own. Unisex is the new name of the child game, and the confused results of that philosophy now go on fancy dess parades and make utter fools of themselves.

What's worrying is that I'm not 100% sure you're joking.

Rob C

« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2018, 07:59:51 am »

What's worrying is that I'm not 100% sure you're joking.

Don't worry about it Jerry, you are probably too young to see it yet. Worldly wisdom comes very late in life, often when it's too late. To put a valid photographic slant on it, just to remain relevant, it was Saul Leiter who pronounced that nobody knows what's what, and that by the time that they do, it's too late.

Don't be harsh on yourself; go with the flow.

:-)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2018, 08:02:20 am »

Assuming you're not pulling our legs, the assumptions you're making here, that things were better back in the day, may be incorrect. Maybe you just remember them that way, but that others had a different experience.

Re-watch this, it is instructive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ZDB9h7BLY.
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #229 on: March 19, 2018, 08:15:43 am »

Assuming you're not pulling our legs, the assumptions you're making here, that things were better back in the day, may be incorrect. Maybe you just remember them that way, but that others had a different experience.

Re-watch this, it is instructive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ZDB9h7BLY.

Unfortunately, I can't watch it right now because I had decided not to take 'phones with me when going out to eat. Watching without hearing isn't going to be much use...

Rob

Ray

« Reply #230 on: March 19, 2018, 08:24:18 am »

Of course I have that right, but I didn't make that suggestion, equating fun cars with shoes. I suggested that the money spent on one lady's accumulation of 1000 pairs of shoes, most of which would have never been used, and are now rotting away in a museum, could have been better spent on providing  practical shoes for those who couldn't afford any shoes at all.

Nevertheless, you have a point, that many poor people get used to wearing no shoes and develop thick soles which allow them to walk over rough terrain without discomfort. Giving shoes to people who don't need them or want them is also an inefficient use of resources, so maybe that was not the best example I used. I have perhaps erroneously assumed that people who walk over rough terrain, barefooted, perhaps carrying a heavy load, as in attached image which I took about 54 years ago in Nepal, would prefer to wear shoes. Maybe they wouldn't.  ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #231 on: March 19, 2018, 08:26:48 am »

... long term planning in the Warren Buffet universe seems to work very well, so maybe it's not the planning but the execution.

Ah, the eternal hope that “this time it will be different.” Out is curiosity, what exactly is WB’s long-term planning?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2018, 09:07:08 am »

Ah, the eternal hope that “this time it will be different.” Out is curiosity, what exactly is WB’s long-term planning?

For example, buying millions shares of Apple last year when it was at $97.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2018, 09:22:19 am »

... If you have looked closely at the feet of those who walk barefoot you will have noticed that their soles are as thick and strong as the soles of your tennis shoes...

http://www.barefoothealing.com.au/v/what-is-earthing/22

:)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #234 on: March 19, 2018, 09:29:15 am »

More Love Less Hate - hope that isn't hostile.

Rob C

« Reply #235 on: March 19, 2018, 09:43:57 am »

More Love Less Hate - hope that isn't hostile.

Not hostile at all, not even cowstyle, but hey, in this context of love and harmony, really and truly a bit out of left field (whatever that actually means in American sports)... which is simply another illustration of how insidious the use of transatlantic speech.

;-)

Ray

« Reply #236 on: March 19, 2018, 09:54:14 am »

The main issue with footwear is the long-term bad effects of wearing high heels.

"High heels put the foot at an angle and pull muscles and joints out of alignment, so the effects aren’t limited to the feet,” Dr. Surve explained. “It’s not unusual for people who spend lots of time in high heels to have low back, neck and shoulder pain because the shoes disrupt the natural form of the body.”

http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/about-your-health/health-conditions-library/womens-health/Pages/high-heels.aspx

Rob C

« Reply #237 on: March 19, 2018, 09:54:55 am »

http://www.barefoothealing.com.au/v/what-is-earthing/22

:)

Trust the ancients!

Actually, I think there's a study that proves that those who habitually walk sans shoes step into dog mess a great deal less than do their shod brothers and sisters. Perhaps it's a side-product of looking where one is going instead of at the iPhone. Trust in brands is often faith misplaced. Unless, of course, the iPhone is filming and monitoring the path ahead, in which case, slowing down to the comfortable speed of your own reactions may save the day and the ooze layer, either way.

However, in sunny Spain, the danger is not ooze: the danger is that sun-dried may cause you to break your ankle as you trip.

Best to leave the 'phone in the pocket.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #238 on: March 19, 2018, 10:20:21 am »

The main issue with footwear is the long-term bad effects of wearing high heels.

"High heels put the foot at an angle and pull muscles and joints out of alignment, so the effects aren’t limited to the feet,” Dr. Surve explained. “It’s not unusual for people who spend lots of time in high heels to have low back, neck and shoulder pain because the shoes disrupt the natural form of the body.”

http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/about-your-health/health-conditions-library/womens-health/Pages/high-heels.aspx

Obviously written by a misogynist, Ray.

Out of school hours, my girlfriend and wife-to-be (one person) wore high heels from the day I met her when she was fifteen, and certainly before that, and she was as active as anybody wearing Nike or whatever, not that Nike existed back then, AFAIK, but Keds did. She never complained of pains, and had a beautiful carriage.(No, not the type with wheels.) Her voice was like music too, but I don't expect heels had much to do with that, but on the other hand, perhaps the habitual bearing of the thorax did affect things...

Why do some academics have this down on women looking good? The reality is that heels enhance posture, pushing out the breasts and creating a delightful shape to the lower back and the thrust of the pelvis. Just ask yourself: why do so many pin-up shots have nudes wearing high heels? Obviously, as my own snaps were mostly sea-based, my natural honesty precluded the use of a sheet of plywood beneath a scattering of grains. That would not have been ambiguous: that would have been deceitful. Hence, the dearth of such heels in my surviving pictures. But all my fashion ladies wore high heels, and looked the better for it. I exclude platforms from the general statement about heels: platforms were ever ugly and would have looked at home in any of Helmut Newton's medical/surgical extravaganzas.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #239 on: March 19, 2018, 11:05:28 am »

Actually, I think there's a study that proves ...

No single study ever "proves" anything. Axiom of the scientific method.

And as for walking barefoot, people may indeed develop tough leathery soles, but there are several parasitic diseases that are contracted by walking barefoot on soil, hookworm being one of them.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19   Go Up