Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pseudo street genre  (Read 781 times)

BobDavid

pseudo street genre
« on: March 10, 2018, 05:03:35 am »

...sort of treacly with a twist.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 05:18:17 am by BobDavid »

Rob C

Re: pseudo street genre
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 07:22:18 am »

There seems to be a little burst of very good photography coming up in LuLa recently.

As with the shot above, I think a lot of it is due to the sense of design that some folks here display. Guess old HC-B had it right: geometry.

Rob

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 09:25:00 am »

Another great shot, Bob. Love it.

And Rob, HCB certainly had it right. In photography geometry is paramount. Which is one reason B&W is sort of where photography's natural strength lies. But Bob manages to combine excellent geometry with color, which is one reason his pictures stand out from the rest. Like you, I appreciate what you called "a little burst of very good photography coming up on LULa lately. Sure beats politics on a photography site. If folks work at it maybe we can get away from selfies, pets, and tourist shots, and actually turn LuLa into a story about fine art. I know that's what Michael was trying to do.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 09:52:06 am »

Another great shot, Bob. Love it.

And Rob, HCB certainly had it right. In photography geometry is paramount. Which is one reason B&W is sort of where photography's natural strength lies. But Bob manages to combine excellent geometry with color, which is one reason his pictures stand out from the rest. Like you, I appreciate what you called "a little burst of very good photography coming up on LULa lately. Sure beats politics on a photography site. If folks work at it maybe we can get away from selfies, pets, and tourist shots, and actually turn LuLa into a story about fine art. I know that's what Michael was trying to do.
Rob and Russ are absolutely right.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 09:55:50 am »

Another strong photograph.  Your night photos would make for a strong exhibition.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 10:02:46 am »

There seems to be a little burst of very good photography coming up in LuLa recently.

As with the shot above, I think a lot of it is due to the sense of design that some folks here display. Guess old HC-B had it right: geometry.

Rob

Yes Sir!

Peter

BobDavid

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 12:19:22 pm »

This photo is not typical of what I tend to gravitate towards.

Brand new spiffy Dairy Queens are not anything like the forlorn buildings and gas stations that tend to catch my eye.

I generally like to shoot wider so the subject floats in darkness.

This was a fun technical exercise. I like the picture's formal aspects, but it lacks the moodiness of an Edward Hopper painting and the clarity of an Alfred Hitchcock night time scene.

I guess this falls under the genre of Street Photography--a style outside my area of expertise and comfort zone.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:22:57 pm by BobDavid »

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 01:25:44 pm »

This photo is not typical of what I tend to gravitate towards.

Brand new spiffy Dairy Queens are not anything like the forlorn buildings and gas stations that tend to catch my eye.

I generally like to shoot wider so the subject floats in darkness.

This was a fun technical exercise. I like the picture's formal aspects, but it lacks the moodiness of an Edward Hopper painting and the clarity of an Alfred Hitchcock night time scene.

I guess this falls under the genre of Street Photography--a style outside my area of expertise and comfort zone.

Yes, but it did grab you enough to make you shoot it.

Forget Hopper and Hitchcock; you are you, and more power to your elbow to remain yourself. It can become a mistake trying to squeeze oneself into another's mould. I'm aware that I did try Leiter on for size, but we don't have the same trouser measurements, and so the best I can do is keep him alive on my shelf but leave him there when I venture into the world outside this concrete block I call chez moi.

You find greater freedom that way.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 02:16:13 pm »

Hear hear!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up