Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One v11: Skin tone adjustments in Layers?  (Read 1894 times)

narikin

Capture One v11: Skin tone adjustments in Layers?
« on: March 07, 2018, 04:33:35 pm »

Capture One seems to have changed the layers around in v11.

I need to fix skin tones in some portraits made in mixed lighting. Its much too red/orange as is. The problem I am having is creating a new layer then the skin tone picker, make an adjustment to hue/sat, but nothing shows until you draw on the masked layer. Is there a trick I'm missing here? You need to make the mask first, then do adjustments?

A brief walk through of skin tone adjustments in layers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all!

Jeff

Re: Capture One v11: Skin tone adjustments in Layers?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 05:18:08 pm »

With a layer, adjustments only appear on masked areas.

When you create the layer choose " New Filled Layer " option which masks the whole layer then the skin tone adjustment should work OK.

Or  create a " New Empty Layer " and roughly paint in the mask to cover the skin.

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 09:11:45 pm »

There are tutorials on how to use Local Adjustment Layers.

You could go to the Color Editor and select Skin Tone.

Use the Color Picker to pick a sample of the color you want to work on.

Click on the box to View selected color range. This will show you the color range selected and the rest in B&W

Open or close the V to expand or contract the selected color range. When satisfied then uncheck the box

Go up the the ... and select Create Mask from Selected Area

Then Open up the Layers tool and press the M key to see the mask that was created.
Use the Brush (B) to expand it and the Eraser (E) to subtract from it. You can Right click on the Brush and Eraser to adjust to taste.
You can also use the Layer Opacity slider the adjust the overall effect.

You can use most all tools to adjust the selection including Exposure, Contrast, Saturation ........

Good luck and have fun. 

Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

narikin

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 10:07:38 am »

Thanks UTGD, very helpful.

The point/dot in the V is of course what you color pick, but when I nudge it, I see little change. I presume the V is a feathered color-selection, around the picked color, but see no way to tune that feathering radius, beyond simply expanding /contracting the V.

Much of this is familiar from v10 (not that I'm an expert, but had picked up enough) but the changes in v11 had confused me.  That and the lack of overlap with my Photoshop skills, different controls/shortcuts, annoying to have to relearn.

much appreciated though!

There are tutorials on how to use Local Adjustment Layers.

You could go to the Color Editor and select Skin Tone.

Use the Color Picker to pick a sample of the color you want to work on.

Click on the box to View selected color range. This will show you the color range selected and the rest in B&W

Open or close the V to expand or contract the selected color range. When satisfied then uncheck the box

Go up the the ... and select Create Mask from Selected Area

Then Open up the Layers tool and press the M key to see the mask that was created.
Use the Brush (B) to expand it and the Eraser (E) to subtract from it. You can Right click on the Brush and Eraser to adjust to taste.
You can also use the Layer Opacity slider the adjust the overall effect.

You can use most all tools to adjust the selection including Exposure, Contrast, Saturation ........

Good luck and have fun.

myotis

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 12:41:26 pm »

The point/dot in the V is of course what you color pick, but when I nudge it, I see little change. I presume the V is a feathered color-selection, around the picked color, but see no way to tune that feathering radius, beyond simply expanding /contracting the V.

Try the smoothness setting

*Smoothness indicates how far in the color spectra the adjustment will be applied; this ensures that selectively changed colors get a natural look.

Cheers,

Graham

TeeKay

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 10:54:32 pm »

The problem I am having is creating a new layer then the skin tone picker, make an adjustment to hue/sat, but nothing shows until you draw on the masked layer.
If you don't need a mask -- skin ton adjustments can often be confined to only affect the skin through narrowing the colour range -- then you may also simply select the "Background" layer and start adjusting, without having to draw a mask.
Pages: [1]   Go Up