Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BenQ 2700 and NEC's iOne Display 2  (Read 1604 times)

BradSmith

BenQ 2700 and NEC's iOne Display 2
« on: March 07, 2018, 04:16:47 pm »

Is anyone using this combination?  I'm replacing an NEC 2690 Spectraview monitor and have the NEC version of the iOne Display 2 that came with the Spectraview package.  I'd like to save some $ by getting a BenQ 2700 and calibrating it with this colorimeter and the included Palette Master software. 

The BenQ Palette Master User's Guide (published 2015) says this colorimeter is supported.  But their site and tech support currently says that the only iOne colorimeters listed as being supported are "Pro" models.

Is anyone using the NEC modified iOne Display 2 with Palette Master?  Advice?

Brad

aaron125

Re: BenQ 2700 and NEC's iOne Display 2
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 04:50:32 pm »

I’d be hesitant to recommend using your current Display2 colorimeter with the new BenQ screen as the NEC branded Display2 has been tuned specifically for the primaries of the 2690. And unlike the newer i1Display Pro colorimeter, to the best of my knowledge, it isn’t programmable or able to have the BenQ primaries uploaded to it, hence you’ll not be getting the best performance from the BenQ screen as the Display2 will be calibrating and profiling it as if it were an NEC 2690. Realistically, the i1Display Pro isn’t all that expensive and if you’re going to spend the money to get a decent screen with a programmable, on-board 14bit LUT, why scimp on the colorimeter, as you wont experience the best performance out of your new screen.

I too was seriously considering purchasing one of BenQ’s new screens but after trialling it and also a Dell 30” (don’t laugh, the Dell also has a programmable 14bit LUT and a true 10bit panel, not one of the frame rate modified 8/10bit panels - and it’s blown me away how good the Dell is) I ended up sending both screens back and saved a bundle on a barely used Dell U3014. Using my i1Display Pro and Dell’s version of X-Rite i1Profiler software, the screen is incredible. Such a vibrant image, excellent accuracy and a joy to use. Doing the QA test in i1Profiler, using the 1617 patch IT8.7/4 and the GRACoL 2006 soft proof profile, it consistently gets an average dE2000 of under dE 1, usually between dE0.75-0.83, never higher than dE0.88 and a maximum dE of just dE2.64. I haven’t tried calibrating or profiling with my i1Pro 2 but when I had an Eizo CG242W, I consistently found the i1Display Pro to be more than accurate enough and so much faster than the spectrophotometer.

Just some food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 05:34:06 pm »

I'd like to save some $ by getting a BenQ 2700 and calibrating it with this colorimeter and the included Palette Master software.
I'm not sure I'd trust an i1d2 at this point. Last time I pulled mine out and checked it, it's accuracy had become very suspect. I don't think its filters have proven to be long term stable. DTP92/94 on the other hand, doen't seem to have changed much at all.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 06:14:54 pm »

Is anyone using this combination?  I'm replacing an NEC 2690 Spectraview monitor and have the NEC version of the iOne Display 2 that came with the Spectraview package.  I'd like to save some $ by getting a BenQ 2700 and calibrating it with this colorimeter and the included Palette Master software.
Can't recall, but does that NEC branded i1 only work with SpectraView? And yeah, you're far better off with the newer generation i1Display Pro!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up